BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think it's smart for folks like @Juice to realize when a bike isn't right for them. It's certainly possible to mod a bike more to your liking, as most of us R9T owners have done. But when the machine just isn't right for them, and it would take big money to attempt to make it right - if it can even be done - it's probably better to just move on to another motorcycle entirely. Better that than spending a lot of time and money trying to fix it, then maybe still being unhappy with the end result.

I second-guessed myself a few times after buying my R9T about 13 months ago. Even this spring and early summer I was still wondering if I bought the right bike. I think it's worth more than I owe on it, so if necessary I could get out it without losing my shirt. But after finally doing the suspension mods in July I'm very happy with this machine, and plan on keeping it long-term. It's still not perfect, but I can't think of a bike I'd rather have at this point.

One other thing I'd say to Juice: If you like the boxer twin engine but are unhappy with the R9T's handling compared to the V-twin sportbikes, you might try riding an R1200S (an older bike), or an R1200RS (or the newer 1250 version). Both will have more forward lean and closer to 50/50 weight distribution. The "S" has a much sportier riding position than most BMWs, except for the S1000RR and HP bikes.
Is there any way you can be a multi bike owner? I’ve never been happy with one bike and always had the want to try something else. Since a multi bike owner, I get variation and am much happier getting to experience all types of riding.
One observation I found for me personally is that it’s not about going fast around corners, it’s about getting the bike you’re on to go as fast around corners as you can get it to. That’s a thrill!
If you’re like me, you’ll never be satisfied with one bike. And that’s a good thing! I love bikes and want to own them all so you gotta keep em rotating in and out of the garage.

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,054 Posts
Well said @moklodge

This thread is definitely a discussion.
Sometimes we just need to let the bike be what it is.
I’m not talking about performance and ergonomic modifications that doesn’t change the original operational intent of the design. Suspension upgrades, seat, risers and foot pegs are the practical mods that bring the most joy IMO. The rest is fluff. That being said it does not stop me from other farkelazations but I’m trying to keep it all in perspective. These are things I need for basic bike happiness.
The R9T is a fun bike and seems to have been built with a back to basics feel. Blending the nostalgia of the cafe styles of old with modern tech.
I personally like the R9T for what it isn’t. It is not my GSA . It is not my dirt bike. It is not a super bike. It is not a huge luxury touring bike.
The fun to me is at some point trying to adapt to the machine more than asking the machine to adapt to me and when it’s not the right fit , I have to accept it and move on.
With all that said, in no way did I wish to wound anyone’s feelings. The bike is what it is and I like it for that.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
1,982 Posts
@moklodge -- I'd like to own 2-3 bikes. Financially I don't know if I can make that happen. I'm closer now than ever to being able to afford to add a cheaper bike to my garage, so I've been looking at some sport-tourers for trips. I'd even like to add a simple cruiser someday. (I have a soft spot for the Yamaha Bolt R-spec, which I test rode several years ago.) Which brings me to my next point...

I agree with @Baloo . I've modded my R9T Pure to my liking, including seat and suspension mods and added a rear luggage rack. It's suitable for daily riding, sportrides, long days, and some trips. But it's never going to be a touring rig, and I wouldn't want to try making it one. By the same token, I wouldn't want to a Goldwing for a daily rider. Nor an S1000RR. I just prefer a good all-arounder, at least until I can afford to add a couple more focused machines to my garage.

·
Registered
Bmw R Nine T Scrambler 2017
2 Posts
@moklodge -- I'd like to own 2-3 bikes. Financially I don't know if I can make that happen. I'm closer now than ever to being able to afford to add a cheaper bike to my garage, so I've been looking at some sport-tourers for trips. I'd even like to add a simple cruiser someday. (I have a soft spot for the Yamaha Bolt R-spec, which I test rode several years ago.) Which brings me to my next point...

I agree with @Baloo . I've modded my R9T Pure to my liking, including seat and suspension mods and added a rear luggage rack. It's suitable for daily riding, sportrides, long days, and some trips. But it's never going to be a touring rig, and I wouldn't want to try making it one. By the same token, I wouldn't want to a Goldwing for a daily rider. Nor an S1000RR. I just prefer a good all-arounder, at least until I can afford to add a couple more focused machines to my garage.
With patience and discipline you can have as many bikes as you wish!! In my garage with great effort I managed to park 3 bikes….
I agree with the idea of not pretending a bike style performs in the same was as others do. In my case I come from having 5 BMW GS, and I miss their suspension every time I pass over any small bump or ditch or when I am in heavy traffic jams, because on the GS I could move easier between stuck cars. However, I ride more frequently to work on my R9T… But for a long ride with my wife I prefer the GS (or soon the Norden 901!!). Best wishes!

·
Registered
2021 R nineT Pure
42 Posts
That's exactly why I've ended up with multiple bikes. I haven't ridden my Rnine T much since I bought it but hopefully will get to enjoy it more when the weather gets better. My commuter/trip bike is a 2014 Ninja 1000 (Z1000 SX) that's been with me since it was new. It's been up and down the California coast a couple of times and to Mexico twice too. I tried to sell it last year but luckily no one bought it and the ads expired - LOL! I have a 2003 Buell Firebolt that joined me before the Ninja. That one really is going though because I also have an 04 Buell Lightning with a 1200 cc engine which I like more. The nine T reminds me a lot of the Buells and having the brushed aluminum bodywork, it's stunningly beautiful. Anyway, I would highly recommend multiple bikes if you can swing it. It's fun to have a choice of what to ride when you open your garage.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts