BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum Members!
I am planning to replace the OE rear fender with an after-market item that mimics the design lines of the R9T.
As per my research, most riders have opted for the unit that has the single unit curved type taillight eg. Daedalus.
There is no doubt that this type of unit does tidy up the tail, tho' IMO the "look" is not "heritage".
This:
BMW R Nine T Tidy Tail Kit – Lossa Engineering
is what I was planning to install.

The reason for this post is to ask if any of you have installed this type of tail tidy and was it plug-and-play or did it turn out to be a "plug-and pay" ie. more stuff/modification had to be done to make it fit.

The Lossa kit:
Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting Toy

Here is a similar item from China:
Camera accessory Automotive exterior Gun accessory Auto part Bumper

Here is an example of the "curved" design
Bicycle part Font Tool Guitar accessory Auto part

Thank you for your feedback!

· Premium Member
1,192 Posts
The set you show; is pretty much a Chinese part. Most time these have a very :poop: finish and fit. (The pictures always look better with these things).

I would suggest you take a look at the tail tidies from Evotech or AC Schnitzer

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The set you show; is pretty much a Chinese part. Most time these have a very 💩 finish and fit. (The pictures always look better with these things).

I would suggest you take a look at the tail tidies from Evotech or AC Schnitzer

The Lossa item is from a California based firm and is probably manufactured in CA.
The Zimagu is Chinese made. As you say, the quality may be suspect.
The Daedalus tail tidy has been fitted to many of the forum members bikes, most are satisfied with the fit and finish.

Thanks for pointing out the others, I will take a look.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont trust Lossa then.. Looks like they just imported it out of China and put their brand on it.
It looks 1:1 the same .. including the light.
Thank you for the cautionary remark.

Jay LaRossa, the founder of Lossa Engineering is a well-known builder of cafe racers and has been featured on TV.
While he may be importing from China (much of what we use is made in that country), would he risk his reputation and brand stamp low quality stuff?

Guess I'll find out, if and when I order from Lossa.
(am looking at getting the smoked lens option)

· Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Dont trust Lossa then.. Looks like they just imported it out of China and put their brand on it.
It looks 1:1 the same .. including the light.
My thoughts exactly @Chris ….. I agree, it’s the same product ….. certainly wouldn’t be the 1st time a design idea was stolen…… and the Chinese definitely aren’t going to protest ….. they stole it in the first place. If I wanted that tidy, I’d buy the cheapest Chinese knock-off I could get at around $75.00, bead blast it clean and refine the edges, then powder coat it nicely with the proper color and like magic I have the $350.00 Wunderlush version of the same thing, …. go to my computer and fake a label and I’m in business too …. “Blitz Bike Shop” …………………………………… Blitz

· Registered
2017 BMW RnineT Racer
170 Posts
One thing you might want to consider is the functionality of the item regarding mud and water “flinging“ from your waist to your helmet (And all over the rear of the bike).
I removed the hideous rear fender, and installed the Daedalus along with a $60 Chinese knock off of a Puig rear fender (that basically keeps the rear shock and battery clean). While this set-up looks good, I got really wet and muddy when I encountered poor weather.
subsequently, added a GS rear mudguard which has helped.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing you might want to consider is the functionality of the item regarding mud and water “flinging“ from your waist to your helmet (And all over the rear of the bike).
I removed the hideous rear fender, and installed the Daedalus along with a $60 Chinese knock off of a Puig rear fender (that basically keeps the rear shock and battery clean). While this set-up looks good, I got really wet and muddy when I encountered poor weather.
subsequently, added a GS rear mudguard which has helped.
Would a Puig hugger + the rear fender negate the back splash?
(the bike is a Pure and is not ridden off road)

Would very much like to see a pic of your set up, please post!

· Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,349 Posts
I just posted in your other thread on tail tidies and mentioned the Evotech Performance version. I believe it uses the OEM taillight and turn signals. It really looks OEM, just much shorter, so the taillight is almost up against the rear of the pillion seat.

Here's a thread on that model from a couple years ago: Evotech Performance Tail Tidy

If you can find this model in stock, you might want to make sure it's for your model year R9T, as the taillight design has changed, with the more recent bikes having a slightly smaller light housing. Or maybe the Evotech fits both sizes...?

I doubt a tail tidy will make a huge difference on rear wheel spray. It might mean more up the middle of your back, but even with the OEM diving board on my Pure I get some wheel spray to my sides and back. I could be wrong.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just posted in your other thread on tail tidies and mentioned the Evotech Performance version. I believe it uses the OEM taillight and turn signals. It really looks OEM, just much shorter, so the taillight is almost up against the rear of the pillion seat.

Here's a thread on that model from a couple years ago: Evotech Performance Tail Tidy

If you can find this model in stock, you might want to make sure it's for your model year R9T, as the taillight design has changed, with the more recent bikes having a slightly smaller light housing. Or maybe the Evotech fits both sizes...?

I doubt a tail tidy will make a huge difference on rear wheel spray. It might mean more up the middle of your back, but even with the OEM diving board on my Pure I get some wheel spray to my sides and back. I could be wrong.
Thanks TimC.
The Evotech is a perfect option for my purpose!

· Registered
2015 R NineT K21 2003 R1150RT
315 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Daedalus tail light. Nor the OEM tail light. I've been looking for a suitable "Heritage" style tail light that is striking, classic, yet bright enough to let the crazy 4 wheelers behind know I'm stopping.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not a fan of the Daedalus tail light. Nor the OEM tail light. I've been looking for a suitable "Heritage" style tail light that is striking, classic, yet bright enough to let the crazy 4 wheelers behind know I'm stopping.
'Zactly the reason for this topic, so far two "candidates" in the running, Lossa and Evotech.
Out of those two, Evotech is the proven performer.
Further research, more feedback needed!

· Premium Member
The fleet...9T ‘classic’ F800gt, Mz Ts150, Etz250, Beneli 125 2c, TL1000s, Trx 850, Katana 250/4, X7
680 Posts
@Chris<CJ> You need to ask deep down, do I need or do I want? The ‘need’ I’m referring to is a functional mudguard, the ‘want’ is a gimmick tail tidy. I built my own mudguard that actually looks like it would pass as an OEM part. It follows all the lines of the bike. I’ve probably posted it before but I’ll do it again
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Fuel tank

1 - 20 of 51 Posts