BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely intrigued with the idea of going for an airbox delete, and currently I am distracted by the following removal kit from Pier City Custom.

Pier City Custom BMW R9T Air Box Removal Kit with Carbon Cover

Has anyone tried this?

Am I introducing problems if I remove the airbox with this product?

Will the absence of an airbox create issues in the rain?

Could improve performance or create problems?

I realize that there has been a great deal of discussion on this topic, so your patience is appreciated.

·
Registered
299 Posts
You must first ask yourself "Why" Then consider the following. Do I need more performance? If I do how much do I need? Am I willing to pay the freight for a mod that might look cool but do nothing else? You might get a little more zip and more noise but you may also have to remap the ECU and avoid heavy rain. A race or show bike, Heck Yeh but a great fun torque monster every day ride I wouldn't even consider it unless you got a wad of cash to toss out with the old air box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Captain,

Thank You Sir -

I sense you are right, tons of $'s for pure cosmetic and extra potential issues down the road . . . And yes, I already love the performance, so no need messing with something that is already fixed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Its basically for looks and hipster cred. Fitting the kit will give you no gain, likely decrease power and smoothness at differing rev ranges and speeds, and play havoc with fuel consumption. Some years back on the R1100S forum, an owner in the US did the same to his 1100S, tried up and down his street the night he completed the job, reported straight away on the forum that the bike had gained more power etc. The next day he took it for a ride out of town and came home with a slower, jerky bike. On the short burst on his street he was overwhelmed by the inlet roar and that had him believing it had more power, a few miles of reality had him back in the shed returning it to standard fitment. ?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hi All,
I have read all the posts on the topic but it seems no one as actually ended up testing their bike with the airbox off.
At least it has not been published.

Has anyone come across proper facts on the impact on the engine performance of removing the airbox, everything remaining equal?

I have also written to Pier City Cycle to ask whether they have this info.

Thanks - Silaxe

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
So Pier City Cycle wrote back on a Sunday, really nice.
Message is as follows:
In all honesty, I have never felt any negative effect of fitting our kit. I have no official data to support this but I have ridden a LOT of R9Ts and have never felt a difference. I know some people post a lot online about the effects of it but I would personally not worry.
So I am pretty keen to go ahead with the mod.
One thing to think about is to extend the crankcase breather hose enough to have the filter you attach to it high uo under the tank to avoid an oily mess on the bike and yourself.

Still keen to hear from someone who has actually done a before and after dyne test.
Cheers - Silaxe

·
Registered
25 Posts
For what it's worth, I think it is a really cool look. I'd say go for it. Customizing these things to make them truly yours is what it's all about. Afterwards post up some pictures and gives a butt dyno report.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not surprised Pier City Cycle didn't report any negatives regarding their air box delete kit. A couple of things to consider, the OEM ECU may or may not be able to compensate for the massive increase in air flow. If you're running aftermarket pipes with the Pier City air filters you may need to upgrade the OEM ECU to a Dynojet ECU or other aftermarket ECU to compensate for the free flowing air intake and exhaust system. Lastly, forget about riding your bike in wet conditions.

·
Banned
660 Posts
I doubt there will be a "Massive" increase in air flow, but i agree that it would probably need a tune afterwards. Airboxes aren't just made to fit the bike, there's science behind the size they are, there's an effect called Helmholtz resonance and good airboxes are designed to take advantage of that which increases torque and therefore power. Removing an airbox for pod filters is effectively dumbing down the bike, kinda like removing sophisticated fuel injection and replacing it with flat slide carburettors.... charming, but........ not exactly the best way to get the most out of your bike.

If you like the look of it, and don't care that you may create a flat spot or drench your filters when it rains then go for it but really, if you want a charming old slow bike that is a bitch to start in the cold and stumbles in the rain.... go buy a charming old bike, there's plenty out there.

And it would come as no surprise that you hear nothing from the supplier of the kit, just because they sell it doesn't mean it's actually any good.... If there's demand then someone will supply it, that applies to everything from chook $hit to condos.............

·
Registered
106 Posts
+1 on what David37 and Cropduster say. Also, most pod filters do not filter very well compared to stock (yes, debated, but that's my experience from years of club racing, using top brands and cleaning&oiling as intended) with the effect of allowing more debris into the combustion chamber. You may never notice (or care about) any increased engine wear but the risk will be there.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Well, seems no one has ever done a dyno test :unsure::(
That’s a bummer.
Seems that I am going to have no other option but to do it myself... although timing is a bit uncertain considering the circumstances :cautious:

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I doubt there will be a "Massive" increase in air flow, but i agree that it would probably need a tune afterwards. Airboxes aren't just made to fit the bike, there's science behind the size they are, there's an effect called Helmholtz resonance and good airboxes are designed to take advantage of that which increases torque and therefore power. Removing an airbox for pod filters is effectively dumbing down the bike, kinda like removing sophisticated fuel injection and replacing it with flat slide carburettors.... charming, but........ not exactly the best way to get the most out of your bike.

If you like the look of it, and don't care that you may create a flat spot or drench your filters when it rains then go for it but really, if you want a charming old slow bike that is a bitch to start in the cold and stumbles in the rain.... go buy a charming old bike, there's plenty out there.

And it would come as no surprise that you hear nothing from the supplier of the kit, just because they sell it doesn't mean it's actually any good.... If there's demand then someone will supply it, that applies to everything from chook $hit to condos.............
Some demand in UK for chook shit pellets, gardeners use em all the time.
Ken.

·
Registered
RNineT 2017
32 Posts
Jeff, Did you delete the Airbox after all?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts