BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I just bought the DNA kit. I didn’t buy them for performance, I bought the kit to remove the bulky air box and relocate the battery. I’ve emailed brentuning to discuss my modifications. I’m sure, with my mods (exhaust, headers, individual air pods), the bike will run better than stock with the tune.
Chrissalexx,

Did you hear back from Been Tuning? I was wondering how the air bix delete kit would perform with their Stage 2 tune. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 R9T classic
7 Posts
I didn't delete the airbox, because I like the idea of a ram air system. I have one on my truck and it works great. However I did add the extra conical filters to allow more air into the system while at a stand still, which in my humble opinion is the only drawback to a closed ram air system.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2018 R NineT - Blue Planet Metallic w/ 719 billet options
66 Posts
I've been considering this project for my '18 and just found this very helpful video detailing every step of the project. Definitely more involved than I could have ever imagined!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am completely intrigued with the idea of going for an airbox delete, and currently I am distracted by the following removal kit from Pier City Custom.

Pier City Custom BMW R9T Air Box Removal Kit with Carbon Cover

Has anyone tried this?

Am I introducing problems if I remove the airbox with this product?

Will the absence of an airbox create issues in the rain?

Could improve performance or create problems?

I realize that there has been a great deal of discussion on this topic, so your patience is appreciated.
Hello, I have used the Pier city kit for 2 years now.
It was installed by my BMW dealer in Japan.
I did it to it to gain power just purely for the look. This bike is about looks, or if I wanted a purely practical bike I would have bought something else thus I customized it. Air box removal, Roland sands seat and engine cover, Rimoza mirrors, epoxy blackened parts, Ohlin shock and Ohlin spring, tiny rizoma blinkers and got rid of the plastic rear part.
The bike is really cool. Dos it use more fuel or at least I didnt notice.
I didnt have any problem so far. The sound is slightly different, actually nicer.
I didnt feel any power increase.
In regard to heavy rain I did buy the socks to put on the filter in case of heavy rain, but I tend to avoid riding my bike if I see a rain forecast so never used them yet.

·
Registered
2022 R9T PURE
23 Posts
I just want to be sure before I do the simple mod of installing POD filters so need advice.

I'm planning on keeping the OEM airbox and just blanking off the holes left from the tubes.

Bike is a 2022 and as such Rapid Bike do not have a fueling module available yet, my question is, will it run nicely without one?

I have also ordered a full exhaust system - unsure if the fueling module is needed for this also, (although it takes the 3 lambda sensors).

Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,272 Posts
I didn't delete the airbox, because I like the idea of a ram air system. I have one on my truck and it works great. However I did add the extra conical filters to allow more air into the system while at a stand still, which in my humble opinion is the only drawback to a closed ram air system. View attachment 147924 View attachment 147925
Sorry am I missing something? You did this to give your bike better performance when it is standing still?

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Just installed the PC kit, removed the airbox and love the look! Thats the only reason i did it.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

However, bike running awful as it appears there is a "massive increase in air". I have a Rapid Bike Easy installed so looking for advice on changine the settings, any ideas? I have asked PC and RB so waiting for a response from them but in the meantime if anyone has the same setup I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
2021 Scrambler
88 Posts
I just want to be sure before I do the simple mod of installing POD filters so need advice.

I'm planning on keeping the OEM airbox and just blanking off the holes left from the tubes.

Bike is a 2022 and as such Rapid Bike do not have a fueling module available yet, my question is, will it run nicely without one?

I have also ordered a full exhaust system - unsure if the fueling module is needed for this also, (although it takes the 3 lambda sensors).

Cheers guys
I am planning to do the airbox delete form PCC. From their videos and everything else I can find, using a RapidBike Evo (or other fuel mapper) is essential to maximize the result. RapidBike does not yet make an Evo for bikes newer than '20. Mine is a '21, so you're in the same boat as me. I did write to them and heard that it's in the works. No timeline yet though. You will also need to balance/synch the throttles.

That blows my plan to do the exhaust, rear shock, and airbox all in one go, so I will be doing a couple separate tear downs over time.

I'll jump in on the "do it for vanity" reasoning. It looks amazing, and it's a good project to get really familiar with the bike's structure.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts