BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Took the bike out for a run today. I like that the bike no longer sounds strangled and runs smoother through the 5/6000rpm range.

I'm not sure if it's picked up power all over - likely just shifted around the rev range- but it does feel a bit punchier. Above all it just feels more happy to rev higher.

Sound is a little louder in the sub 5k range, but the flapper made more difference there, and it sounds great 5k+ - I really love the sound. It is too loud for me below 5k though and i will refit the flapper to try and quieten it down as well as get some engine braking back.

Very happy though, and it's started getting some colour too.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Cheers, Dom

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was wondering if the headers are likely to blue any further down the pipe but I don't think they'll ever get hot enough with normal (even aggressive) riding. Someone suggested running them hot stationary with the bike held at 5000rpm for 4 or 5 minutes, but that seems very damaging to the motor - wth no load opposing those pistons at that speed the bearings, conrods, crankshaft etc would be undergoing far more stress than normal and thus possibly fatiguing the metal quite a lot. Not for me. I guess a dyno run would be best.

Today -
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Cheers, Dom

·
Registered
239 Posts
Someone suggested running them hot stationary with the bike held at 5000rpm for 4 or 5 minutes
Holy sh*t ... Why not run it at 10,000rpm for an hour or two :oops:
Honestly you wouldn't get me playing that game in any climate, let alone in our Aust summer.
The pipes look real sweet both when first fitted and more so now.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
How do the stainless steel akro headers age? Do they change color or stay the same color? in comparison to the titanium are they quieter or louder? Thanks!
My stainless Akro headers have taken on a gold/dark straw colour all over. They can be polished up back to bright if you'd feel so inclined.....but I can't.

I kind of wish I'd chosen the Ti option instead at time of purchase now, as they do look trick when coloured up blue.

·
Registered
2015 BMW R Nine T
14 Posts
Thought I’d share this perspective of an actual BMW motorrad mechanic when I asked him whether my bike would need a remapping once I fit catless headers. Not dismissing anyone’s opinion on here, just felt like something worth sharing:

“A catalytic converter is a restriction within an exhaust, its only good for the environment. Cat removed equals, better flow, better performance and better fuel economy. The lambda sensors is located in front of the cat. No need for mapping. From BMW side there is no remap option, therefore you need a aftermarket system like a power commander.

On our older S1000RR's you got software you buy from BMW when fitting a full exh system, but that is for race track use only, and it voids the warranty.

So on your bike, nope.”

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic and 2017 Suzuki Hayabusa and 2015 F3 Spyder
23 Posts
I am thinking i want to blue my Acrapovic headers so i searched it on Youtube. There are a few good video's there. Do not look too hard.You just need a propane torch and pay attention. I love that blue purple color.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You could blue (or pink or orange, etc but you'd want to stick with blue since that seems to be the most prevalent hue) the entire thing with some electrified water. Super easy. Lots of tutorials on youtube. You could even sandblast and stencil in a anodized pattern like Firefly Bikes does with their frames and nother Ti components to give it some texture and polish contrast:
http://instagr.am/p/Cbm8NuOrcYS/
Bicycle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Camera accessory Purple

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Tht stem and frame pictured here is all titanium. I assume the purple step spacers are too but they might be aluminum, the color match is pretty similar so I'd bet on Ti.

181 - 200 of 200 Posts