BMW NineT Forum banner

141 - 160 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just installed mine (Stainless Steel version). Kept the stock Akra dual cans, removed baffles, and valve delete. LOVING the sound now. There's more noise for sure, you can definitely hear me coming down the street but not offensively loud.

I will say, while the removal of OEM headers was super easy, getting the Arks to fit right, was a pain in the royal rear end! I tried starting piece by piece (first from the front to the mid section, and vise versa). Even with rubber mallet I could not get the darn thing aligned. The only way I was able to do it is pre-assemble everything, a set of second hands, and a few slams with a rubber mallet. When all was tighten up, the muffler aligned perfectly and the headers presented no leaks or rattle. Fitment is perfect.

*I will say that the center (cross) pipe towards the front is shifted a little more to the left as one spring is noticably stretching more than the other. But I could not feel an exhaust leak so I'll leave it as is.
Installed my stainless ones a week ago. For me, best way was to carefully preassemble the whole exhaust, making sure all the pipes are fully seated. Wasn't too bad if you took your time on a soft surface (carpet) and slowly wiggle each side little by little. Then install the whole thing just like the way the stock one came off. It also helped to rotate the rear bracket/hanger off to the left side (when looking at the exhaust from the rear of the bike) so it clears as you're trying to fit the pipes onto the flanges on the heads. I also polished the whole exhaust before fitting with a scotchbrite pad to get rid of all the manufacturing blemishes and the uneven heat discoloration from the welding process, so it would look more even when it patinas up with heat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also polished the whole exhaust before fitting with a scotchbrite pad to get rid of all the manufacturing blemishes and the uneven heat discoloration from the welding process, so it would look more even when it patinas up with heat.
Ah-- brilliant! Will be doing that today. I made sure to use rubbing alcohol to remove all my sweaty\oily finger prints before starting the bike at the very least.

Did you use Stainless Steel Appliance cleaner with the Scotch-Brite?

I have Arrow Headers on my Triumph and the Stainless Steel on that from the factory did not need any correction (nice smooth brush finish). I noticed on the Akrapovic it looked more of a raw finish with some minor imperfection to its finish. I actually almost got Arrow Headers for the NineT, but i found the Akrapovic for $80 less online.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ah-- brilliant! Will be doing that today. I made sure to use rubbing alcohol to remove all my sweaty\oily finger prints before starting the bike at the very least.

Did you use Stainless Steel Appliance cleaner with the Scotch-Brite?

I have Arrow Headers on my Triumph and the Stainless Steel on that from the factory did not need any correction (nice smooth brush finish). I noticed on the Akrapovic it looked more of a raw finish with some minor imperfection to its finish. I actually almost got Arrow Headers for the NineT, but i found the Akrapovic for $80 less online.
I used the red/burgundy scotchbrite (7447) without any cleaner. It's abrasive enough to remove all blemishes and gives the ss a uniform brushed finish. Using cleaner would just make a greasy mess. Yeah, I had read complaints the that headers (in ti) were pretty raw, was the same case as the ss version. You can even see some writing printed on the tubes. Much different than the Akro exhaust can, which was immaculate and what you would expect for such premium price. I know a lot of people go Arrow for the 9T, but I like the profile better on the Akro, and it makes it a full Akro system with the can I already have.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
@Markan thanks for the compliment. The headers are mounted to the high mount mid-pipe and black Akrapovic canister. I went with the wide routing option to give more clearance on the external piggyback reservoir on the Ohlins shock. There are two high mount routing options and if you do some searching, you can find the original design conflicts with the OEM carbon canister (not a problem for my setup as I have removed the carbon canister and the flapper valve as well). For the titanium headers only, I paid about $811 USD. The mid pipe was another $425 and the canister $697. Finally, for the flapper valve delete spool piece in titanium, I think it was around $85 from Super Corse.
7F042573-0B19-48EF-844B-165408A9F433.jpeg C7513FF7-C2D9-4EE4-92F7-B5B0E44DA6A7.jpeg 149F45BA-51DC-467D-BA33-9D294A5FC268.jpeg

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Though I didn’t elect to do this for my particular setup, it is my understanding that the Akra headers can mount to the stock exhaust canisters.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@Markan thanks for the compliment. The headers are mounted to the high mount mid-pipe and black Akrapovic canister. I went with the wide routing option to give more clearance on the external piggyback reservoir on the Ohlins shock. There are two high mount routing options and if you do some searching, you can find the original design conflicts with the OEM carbon canister (not a problem for my setup as I have removed the carbon canister and the flapper valve as well). For the titanium headers only, I paid about $811 USD. The mid pipe was another $425 and the canister $697. Finally, for the flapper valve delete spool piece in titanium, I think it was around $85 from Super Corse.
View attachment 127213 View attachment 127214 View attachment 127215
I live the bike man it is cool looking. So how abaut performance and wait saving?

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Thanks @Markan. Appreciate the feedback. All-in, I have trimmed over 30 pounds off the bike. This is a combination of titanium exhaust, emissions component removal, flapper valve delete, carbon wheels, HP carbon parts to replace metal/plastic, lithium battery, rear sub frame removal, suspension swap, etc.

I will avoid hijacking the thread beyond the exhaust discussion. You can check out more info on the build in the link in my signature block.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm about to buy the Akrapovic Titanium Headers, but I do have a few pretty specific questions.

1. I have the SW Motech Skid Plate, and do not know if there is enough clearance to fit the Akra Headers under/behind the skid plate as the stocker headers fit. My primary concern is the thicker cross pipe on the Akra system. Does anyone else run the SW Motech Skid Plate with Akra Headers?

2. I recently flashed my bike with BrenTuning's stage 2 tune. In this tune, they accounted for my Super Corse Bell Mouth intake inlet, the flapper/valve delete, and the SC Project Titanium Conic Silencer. As it is, it runs pretty rich. Would it be wise to have my files sent back to BrenTuning for a retune that accounts for the Akra Headers, or should my current setup work well?

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
732 Posts
2. I recently flashed my bike with BrenTuning's stage 2 tune. In this tune, they accounted for my Super Corse Bell Mouth intake inlet, the flapper/valve delete, and the SC Project Titanium Conic Silencer. As it is, it runs pretty rich. Would it be wise to have my files sent back to BrenTuning for a retune that accounts for the Akra Headers, or should my current setup work well?
I would definitely ask for another MAP file.
From memory they tune for octane and specific items like headers and air box delete - and engine braking level.
De-cat headers make a big difference.
When I ordered mine, Bren gave me 3 maps included.
I'm not sure Bren offer extra maps for free now - please let us know if you ask them about this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would definitely ask for another MAP file.
From memory they tune for octane and specific items like headers and air box delete - and engine braking level.
De-cat headers make a big difference.
When I ordered mine, Bren gave me 3 maps included.
I'm not sure Bren offer extra maps for free now - please let us know if you ask them about this.
Sorry for the extreme delay in response. I just ordered my Akrapovic Titanium Headers a couple of days ago, and I expect them in this Friday. I had already been speaking with BrenTuning, and I had them tweaking my maps for a few other reasons. That seemed to be advantageous for me since those maps that I had were actually a great match for the setup with Akrapovic headers, so I didn't need to buy another map. Speaking of maps, you now get two maps when you buy the stage 2 and handheld. Long story short, the fueling and ignition advance was spot on for the headers.

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
732 Posts
Sorry for the extreme delay in response. I just ordered my Akrapovic Titanium Headers a couple of days ago, and I expect them in this Friday. I had already been speaking with BrenTuning, and I had them tweaking my maps for a few other reasons. That seemed to be advantageous for me since those maps that I had were actually a great match for the setup with Akrapovic headers, so I didn't need to buy another map. Speaking of maps, you now get two maps when you buy the stage 2 and handheld. Long story short, the fueling and ignition advance was spot on for the headers.
So in summary they still supply 2 maps included in price of the unit (they gave me 2 maps when I bought mine last year). I think they might charge if you want more than 2.

My maps were for de-cat headers, super unleaded and then normal engine braking and reduced engine braking.
According to Chris at Brentuning 90% customers prefer normal engine braking.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I finally got my titanium headers installed, and that was a fun (arduous) venture. As other members have pointed out, the finish was complete garbage when they arrived. There were water spots all over, marker marks, printing from the foundry, and scratches everywhere. I appealed to Revzilla, and they took care of the issue by giving me $40 in ZillaCash. I corrected the finish by using WD-40 as a lubricant while I went over the finish with Fine Scotchbrite Pads (Light Gray), and then followed up with going over everything again with Super Fine Scotchbrite Pads (White). Then I cleaned them up thoroughly with more WD-40 and microfiber cloths. This gave me that perfect satin look I wanted. I think they came out nicely, but feel free to offer your opinions. It should be noted that the SW-Motech Skid Plate does, in fact, NOT fit over the Akrapovic Headers. I had to bend the cross pipe guard section of the skid plate forward about 5-6 degrees, and the right side exhaust protection out about 3 degrees. Now it fits very nicely. After two spirited rides, I am beyond thrilled with the increase in felt power, lighter weight, sound, free roving of the motor, and much cooler running temps! The color also adds a nice flavor to the overall aesthetic. Below, I have some photos just after the install, and then photos after the pipes were nice and burned in during my rides.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Those look fab @Beemer.Bert.

When I was deciding on whether to go for stainless or titanuim Akro headers I eventually plumped for the stainless because, even though I love the blue and gold discolouration the titanium gives, a few people on here had commented that the titanium version were VERY easily stained or marked up by such things as water splashing onto a hot pipe, finger marks etc, which were then a PITA to get rid of and keep looking good. For that reason only I went SS.

However, when I see such gorgeous images of titanium headers such as @Beemer.Bert has posted, I question whether my decision was the right one!!!

Reactions: Beemer.Bert

·
Registered
130 Posts
Those look fab @Beemer.Bert.

When I was deciding on whether to go for stainless or titanuim Akro headers I eventually plumped for the stainless because, even though I love the blue and gold discolouration the titanium gives, a few people on here had commented that the titanium version were VERY easily stained or marked up by such things as water splashing onto a hot pipe, finger marks etc, which were then a PITA to get rid of and keep looking good. For that reason only I went SS.

However, when I see such gorgeous images of titanium headers such as @Beemer.Bert has posted, I question whether my decision was the right one!!!
Thank you! I haven't yet experienced any problems with keeping the titanium clean. I will say that WD-40 can likely clean most anything that gets onto them titanium headers. We shall see whether that works or not though. Haha As for SS vs Ti, really the SS offers the better value for money. The Ti is marginally lighter, and it has very low thermal conductivity, but that would be very nuanced. I doubt anyone would notice to very slightly lower running temps. They are beautiful though! haha

They look great ... and if yours change like mine, it will be interesting to see how the colour change works it way down the pipes.
Photos here: UK Sport R9T - finished?
Thanks! Yours look really cool! I want the coloring to progress lower down to the portion of the headers under to cylinders and transmission. It will be quite interesting to see how it turns out. I mostly love how your headers have colored at the weld points and slide connection points. So classy!

Reactions: Gambo916

·
Super Moderator
2017 Pure
1,950 Posts
Pipes look beautiful, nice work. After your description of how they looked upon receipt, I'd say job well done.

I think your bike looks great, really tastefully modded. Love the skid plate too - I think I'll have to get one of those.

141 - 160 of 178 Posts