BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and can't seem to find a tutorial on removing the baffle/glass from this can. Has anyone here done that? I'd appreciate a 101 if anyone has been successful doing it.

Thanks.
Akrapovic.PNG

·
Registered
2011 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
226 Posts
It is a db killer on glass. There is a bolt located inside of a hole in the carbon fiber end cap, most likely allen head. I'd suggest using some penetrating oil on the db killer before trying to remove it, don't bend it.

My bike has a full Titanium header with the sport can, it is too loud with the db killer removed and barely tolerable with it in...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Excuse me... what is it a "db killer on glass". I have the exact exhaust on my Pure and I also want to get rid of the baffle.

·
Registered
2011 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
226 Posts
db killer, no glass in mine. As described above, you should have a hole in the carbon fiber tip that you can access the bolt that holds it in place. I bought my bike used and the previous owner had misplaced the db killer and bold, I had to source a new one as it was too loud for me on extended rides.

I also have a full Remus, headers and can, on my R12RT which has the except same engine. It is much quieter with the db killer removed than the Akra is with the db killer in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey there. I am new here and not a tech wiz. may I ask how your akra is performing? I just had an akra slip-on installed on my 2018 pure 2 days back. I have lost low&mid end torque and the throttle response is slower. I got a less punchy bike back which I resent. I spoke to the dealership who proposed and mounted it, they say no way that is happening, but it clearly is. someone proposed a dyno tune up and a new air filter is needed. anyone has any experience with this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Back in the MX days you'd drill the rivets out and pull off the muffler shell revealing the fiberglass wrap or packing material. Remove all old material, rewrap or pack, reinstall shell and rivet back into place. A little tip if the wrap is slightly too big and the shell is having a hard time going over it is to wrap it tighter with some(little as possible) packing tape as it will burn off. I like the wool and stainless steel wrapping material, it seems to last longer.
I would think Akrapovic would either sell the material or have instructions to do so. I know Two Brothers does as I just helped a buddy replace his. That's another reason I would never buy a packing style muffler but have no clue if Akrapovic does this on some of their mufflers but seeing rivets on the shell would indicate they do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts