BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a late 14 R9T with very low mileage (4K miles) and have the bike permanently hooked up to an Optimate 4 trickle charger. Recently after riding for about 1/2 an hour I stopped the bike and then 5mins later tried to start the bike but there wasn’t enough grunt to fully turn the engine over and start the bike. I figured that the battery was probably tired so bought a new one, fitted it and the bike was up and running again. A week later I stopped the bike to get fuel and the same thing happened. This time I left the bike at the garage for 2hrs while I borrowed a friends bike trailer. When I got back to the bike I tried it again, before wrestling it on to the trailer, and it started. I figure I am going to need to take the bike to my bike garage (No way am I using the BMW dealer at £100/hr). Any ideas as to the problem? Anyone out there experienced similar problems. Your help and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers Phil ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your comments Gents.

The bike went in today and it turns out that there is a fault with the starter motor in that it doesn’t turn over once it is hot. A new one is on the way for £180 so hopefully that will sort it ?

·
Registered
2016 BMW R NINE T STD
16 Posts
Thanks for your comments Gents.

The bike went in today and it turns out that there is a fault with the starter motor in that it doesn’t turn over once it is hot. A new one is on the way for £180 so hopefully that will sort it ?
Did the replacement of starter solved your problem?? Been facing the same issue with my 2016 9t

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gosh im struggling with this exact issue. Replaced the battery. now couple months later same problem. Id love to know if the new starter fixed the issue. Thanks

Hi, I have a late 14 R9T with very low mileage (4K miles) and have the bike permanently hooked up to an Optimate 4 trickle charger. Recently after riding for about 1/2 an hour I stopped the bike and then 5mins later tried to start the bike but there wasn’t enough grunt to fully turn the engine over and start the bike. I figured that the battery was probably tired so bought a new one, fitted it and the bike was up and running again. A week later I stopped the bike to get fuel and the same thing happened. This time I left the bike at the garage for 2hrs while I borrowed a friends bike trailer. When I got back to the bike I tried it again, before wrestling it on to the trailer, and it started. I figure I am going to need to take the bike to my bike garage (No way am I using the BMW dealer at £100/hr). Any ideas as to the problem? Anyone out there experienced similar problems. Your help and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers Phil ??
Did the replacement of starter solve your problem?? Been facing the same issue with my 2016 9t

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,366 Posts
@Nabeel The OP hasn't been on the forum in 2 1/2 years so you may not get an answer from them.
Maybe try sending a Conversation message and they may get an email alert if their settings are adjusted.

·
Registered
215 Posts
@Nabeel there are other threads on the starting problem. You'll find my case in one of them, and a new starter did take care of my problem.

Reactions: Nabeel

·
Registered
158 Posts
You could also open up the starter, clean her up, regrease, replace the brushes and solenoid. It’ll take a while, but way cheaper than an new OEM starter!

I did this, and now she starts as new! If you’re going this way, let me know, I can write the steps down for you if you’d like.

(also not oem starters are often not black)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would take the path @Dominic suggests if I hadn't already replaced mine...and he is right about the color: I had to paint the one I got.

Reactions: Nabeel

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could also open up the starter, clean her up, regrease, replace the brushes and solenoid. It’ll take a while, but way cheaper than an new OEM starter!

I did this, and now she starts as new! If you’re going this way, let me know, I can write the steps down for you if you’d like.

(also not oem starters are often not black)
Id love some How-To steps please :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
That "alarm" is definitely weird! That, I don't get. But that hesitant starter turnover was similar to what I had, even when I used a brand new, fully charged battery with clean connections.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree man, super weird. Bike doesnt even have an actual alarm installed😅. Taking it to have the battery and Starter checked out this week hopefully. Then may have a starter rebuild project this weekend. checked out some vids on youtube. pretty useful. Kinda excited to tackle the starter on my own. more excited for the potential of a starting bike

1 - 20 of 32 Posts