BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
'03 BMW R1150RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just joined the community as I am looking to be a R9T owner. I have my eye on one, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I am a long time BMW M/C owner, having bought my first one, a 1958 R60/2, in 1975. I've since owned the following BMW bikes: '76 R75/6, '78 R100RS, '88 K100RT, '90 K1, '96 K1100RS, '98 R1100S, and my current bike, an '03 R1150RT which I bought new in the fall of '02 and it currently has 102k miles on it.

· Super Moderator
2014 Classic
5,584 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. 👋
That's a great list of BMWs

Reactions: Stewy62

· Registered
'03 BMW R1150RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcoming posts. Looking forward to the R9T insanity. Obviously, the looks are fantastic. I originally got interested in the R9T when I saw the racer. Test drove one and made an offer that was not accepted. I've since done a lot of research and feel comfortable in owning an R9T. Not necessarily the racer but a cafe style racer version of the classic. Not at all interested in any of the other versions. I've got my eye on one now, just waiting for the stars to align. Wish me luck.

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Noooo …. Your not just another noobie @Karl Gruen, with that stable of Beemers behind you your going to be a valuable asset to this party. I’ll bet in all that time you have some amazing adventures and stories to tell. How about pictures, more pictures please and a bit more history too….. Glad your here and welcome to our version of: “Moto-Maniac’s Anonymous” it’s great therapy for the truly young at heart no matter your age … if you get 2wheels under you and love it you belong here and if it’s a 9T all the better ……………. Blitz

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Thanks for the welcoming posts. Looking forward to the R9T insanity. Obviously, the looks are fantastic. I originally got interested in the R9T when I saw the racer. Test drove one and made an offer that was not accepted. I've since done a lot of research and feel comfortable in owning an R9T. Not necessarily the racer but a cafe style racer version of the classic. Not at all interested in any of the other versions. I've got my eye on one now, just waiting for the stars to align. Wish me luck.
I’m cut from the same cloth Karl, nothing interested me but the Classic. On mine about 7 years now and not one complaint, in fact only praise. I tried many style changes in that time from full touring mode with all the trim and saddle bags …to sudo-Cafe style. Never sprung for a racing fairing but Clips and rear sets ended that adventure … I’m to old for that posture for more than an hour. I’ve moved into a kind of Bobber division now and I think I’ve finally found my home. Looking forward to see what you do so keep us posted … there’s a Classic R9T with your name on it looking for you right now .. Cheers ………………..Blitz

· Registered
'03 BMW R1150RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Noooo …. Your not just another noobie @Karl Gruen, with that stable of Beemers behind you your going to be a valuable asset to this party. I’ll bet in all that time you have some amazing adventures and stories to tell. How about pictures, more pictures please and a bit more history too….. Glad your here and welcome to our version of: “Moto-Maniac’s Anonymous” it’s great therapy for the truly young at heart no matter your age … if you get 2wheels under you and love it you belong here and if it’s a 9T all the better ……………. Blitz
Thx. Here is a little tale. I bought my current bike, the '03 R1150RT in Aug. of '02 (probably the first '03 sold). A quick 100+ miles/day for a week for break-in and service done. Went on a bucket list trip, the entire length of Route 66 from 0-mile marker in Chicago to the end at Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, Ca. Put 7500 miles on it in my first month of ownership.
Automotive tire Tire Asphalt Road surface Sky
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

· Registered
'03 BMW R1150RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Here is another little diddy. I was riding my R1100S through a canyon after work. I got into this rhythm and everything was perfect, just working the throttle and no braking. I got into this zone that all was well with the world and this was most fun you could have (with your clothes on). It's as close to flying as you can get without leaving the ground, after which I got this new personalized license plate.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive tire
Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Rectangle Fixture Font

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Thx. Here is a little tale. I bought my current bike, the '03 R1150RT in Aug. of '02 (probably the first '03 sold). A quick 100+ miles/day for a week for break-in and service done. Went on a bucket list trip, the entire length of Route 66 from 0-mile marker in Chicago to the end at Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, Ca. Put 7500 miles on it in my first month of ownership. View attachment 159886 View attachment 159887
HolyKrap that’s a ride …. Are there chiropractors along the way of Route 66 ? Without a few I’d never make it. I have one question for you sir …..
When you got to SantaMonica pier did you ride out as far as you could go up the pier and out over the water ….? That’s such a classic trip down an iconic route in American folk lore Karl. Very cool ! Are you old enough to remember a TV program … named “77 SunsetStrip” ? Probably not. Look it up on YouTube. It ran in the late 50’s thru mid 60’s and was based in a motel actually on route 66 …. Very popular Detective Drama TV series that put Route 66 on the map,.. as it were. Hahaha🤪
That’s a cool adventure to brag about too Karl….. “BadgeOfCourage” … it’s like Hannibal crossing the alps, …except he had elephants … but .. they were almost as wide as a boxer. Good beginning sir. You have paid some cool dues … OK Karl, start unpacking some more of those tales …. 👍🏻 Onward thru the fog ! …………………….. Blitz

· Registered
'03 BMW R1150RT
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HolyKrap that’s a ride …. Are there chiropractors along the way of Route 66 ? Without a few I’d never make it. I have one question for you sir …..
When you got to SantaMonica pier did you ride out as far as you could go up the pier and out over the water ….? That’s such a classic trip down an iconic route in American folk lore Karl. Very cool ! Are you old enough to remember a TV program … named “77 SunsetStrip” ? Probably not. Look it up on YouTube. It ran in the late 50’s thru mid 60’s and was based in a motel actually on route 66 …. Very popular Detective Drama TV series that put Route 66 on the map,.. as it were. Hahaha🤪
That’s a cool adventure to brag about too Karl….. “BadgeOfCourage” … it’s like Hannibal crossing the alps, …except he had elephants … but .. they were almost as wide as a boxer. Good beginning sir. You have paid some cool dues … OK Karl, start unpacking some more of those tales …. 👍🏻 Onward thru the fog ! …………………….. Blitz
Thanks. No chiro's needed. Too much fun. Did not ride to the end of the pier, as I used to live out there and have been to the end of the pier many times. Do you remember P.O.P. (Pacific Ocean Park)? It used to be an amusement park on the pier.
See my story on the R1100S. More tales to tell later. I'll tell you about my Alaska trip on my K1.
And yes, I do remember "77 Sunset Strip". Used to watch it back in the day. Along with "Route 66", another late-50's early sixties TV show, where they traveled by Corvette, which I thought was cool, as I am also a sports car nut.

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Thanks. No chiro's needed. Too much fun. Did not ride to the end of the pier, as I used to live out there and have been to the end of the pier many times. Do you remember P.O.P. (Pacific Ocean Park)? It used to be an amusement park on the pier.
See my story on the R1100S. More tales to tell later. I'll tell you about my Alaska trip on my K1.
And yes, I do remember "77 Sunset Strip". Used to watch it back in the day. Along with "Route 66", another late-50's early sixties TV show, where they traveled by Corvette, which I thought was cool, as I am also a sports car nut.
Can’t wait to real more tales mate. When you have the time … yes I’ve been to POP I think ? .. but many many years ago. I remember there were three of us and we rode down a long pier till our tires touched the rails as absolutely far as we could go West ….. Great memory ! Good times ! ………………….. Blitz

1 - 19 of 19 Posts