BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Premium Member
971 Posts
I just saw a video from Continental saying you cannot run a tube in a tubeless rim at all. Note I said rim. Apparently it's ok to run a tube in a tube-type rim with a tubeless tire, according to some sources, but never in a tubeless rim.
I have learned a lot from Jeff, shown in that video. Guys knows his stuff. He's also a heck of a rider. We had a blast at March Moto Madness the year the TKC70 was released, riding around on trails to see how tough of a terrain we could get through with those tires. If he says "you cannot run a tube in a tubeless rim at all" then that probably answers the question as to whether or not there is a safety lip on the R Nine T Classic spoke wheels. I guess there isn't... I'd still like to see a picture though next time someone takes a tire off.

· Registered
386 Posts
....If he says "you cannot run a tube in a tubeless rim at all" then that probably answers the question as to whether or not there is a safety lip on the R Nine T Classic spoke wheels. I guess there isn't... I'd still like to see a picture though next time someone takes a tire off.
Pictures of the rims can be seen in tubeless conversion threads, Outex etc.
The NineT spoke rims are tubeless rims with a hump...

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Pictures of the rims can be seen in tubeless conversion threads, Outex etc.
The NineT spoke rims are tubeless rims with a hump...
Soooooo….. what I’ve gathered is …
If you’re running standard Classic spoke wheels .. they have a tube in them… and are designed to use a tube so a tube is a good thing even though you will be riding on a tubeless tire. If you’re running those weird ADV rims with outside spokes on the wheels ..(sorry fellas, they just look wrong).. then you have a tubeless wheel with no tube inside and it’s good you don’t have a tube because your not supposed to run a tube in a tubeless tire when it has a tubeless rim. My question is: What if you did run a tube in a tubeless tire on an tubeless rim and the tubeless tire was sealing properly to the “special rim seal” on the special tubeless rim …but then the tube inside the tubeless tire with the tubeless rim went flat .. what difference would it make ? So then.. should I carry a patch kit ..a plug kit …a large bottle of Slime ..or a buss pass ? Anybody know Ubers phone number ? Maybe I should just get Magnesium wheels …………..Blitz

· Premium Member
971 Posts
My question is: What if you did run a tube in a tubeless tire on an tubeless rim and the tubeless tire was sealing properly to the “special rim seal” on the special tubeless rim …but then the tube inside the tubeless tire with the tubeless rim went flat .. what difference would it make ?
Interesting scenario. Assuming black magic of some sort that the tube inside got compromised WITHOUT the tire getting compromised, let's say a patch gave up or some foreign object in the tire at time of install wore a hole through the tube... then you would most likely still lose air, albeit maybe a little slower since the hole in the rim where the valve stem passes through isn't sealed to the rim. I think if it lost enough air pressure to allow the valve stem to move away from the rim surface, it would then leak out very quickly.

If you’re running those weird ADV rims with outside spokes on the wheels ..(sorry fellas, they just look wrong).
Yeah they certainly look different and since the rim thickness is larger then they stick out further from the tire surface and are more susceptible to scratches and dings when riding off road, through gravel, sand, etc. There are other style of tubeless spoke wheels though.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Motor vehicle

My all time favourite for coolest looking wheel has got to be the MV Augusta F3 tubeless spoke wheel, with a single side swing arm and SINGLE SIDED SPOKES. The engineering behind that amazes me.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

· Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,324 Posts
…or some foreign object in the tire at time of install wore a hole through the tube...
I had that once with a rental KTM 690 Enduro. Flat in the middle of New Zealand nowhere.

Turned out somebody mounting a new tire hadn’t noticed that one plastic “rim saver” was left inside, between the tube and the tire. Like, when your surgeon forgot a scissor inside…

Which happened at the very same time my buddy dropped his 1190 and broke his wrist right there. Yea, adventure!

PS: those MV Agusta rims are pure art! And the other examples aren’t shabby, either!

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
I’m just realizing how many variations in tubless rim there are … I actually like the look of some but I’ve never seen them up close …
I like the spoke design that runs to the center of the rim but dislike the spokes that go out to the edge of the rim … just looks wrong.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
This looks good ! Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
This looks wrong … just wrong !
I guess since we’re already running tubless tires anyway… I may as well look into getting all the benefits of being able to plug a flat ……. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Right ?
I could see Blitz with some new tubeless high-heels but if I go that far I’ll probably re-spoke some 16” rims and go with oversized fatty Bobber style tires… maybe ………………………… maybe not ……. If they are as expensive as they are pretty I’m in trouble, and you know they are $$$$ …………………………… Blitz
……………………………

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
You’ve got a point Gap, and at this point I’m in love with the way she’s handling so any changes in anything but appearances at this time are just not going to happen. Sure is fun to dream about it …… Ridiculous, $7K+ for rims .. that’s half as much as I paid for the entire bike ……. If you ever saw those on my motorcycle it would only be because I stole them …. I’d never pay that unless it was going on a bike already worth $75K .. and you can guess how likely that will be. When does a machine go from beautiful but not over dressed …to just bling BS. It’s a thin line in my world … and 7K dollar rims on a 15K dollar bike definitely cross’es that line …………………. Now build me a custom turbo jet bike like Jay Leon’s and you can put some 10K dollar rims on it no problem … but you won’t see them as I go by you at 200 ……….. HaHa ! …………………………………… Blitz

· Registered
163 Posts
My screen shot is directly from the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook … I don’t know where you got push bike … the only time I’ll push a bike is when it’s out of gas … and then not very far …. More smoke I think, maybe your homework could use some touch up too ……………. Blitz
I was talking about your google search screenshot...

..never mind, it seems you have made up your mind that my information is not useful, so I'll bow out.

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
I was talking about your google search screenshot...

..never mind, it seems you have made up your mind that my information is not useful, so I'll bow out.
No no no, your information is always appreciated by me and many others … stop trying to convince me and just put it out there … there are many who agree with you and I’m starting to see you points as I read more and more research … never butt out because I’m so stubborn please … I’m here to learn and share … sometimes I won’t agree but what the hell does that matter …. Hang in there @sizzlingbadger … 🫡 ………………. Blitz

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
IMO cross spoked wheels look pretty cool.
Which one is the IMO version Baloo … I’m cool with any of them that keep the spokes towards the center of the rim … it’s when they start to lace the edges of the rim it somehow looses the geometry or balance or something gets wacko and looks wrong … not pretty … just laced and unbalanced (visually) and it just looks wrong. I know the engineers figured it out and it works fine… it just look out of balance I guess. ………………….Blitz

· Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
2,177 Posts
Which one is the IMO version Baloo … I’m cool with any of them that keep the spokes towards the center of the rim … it’s when they start to lace the edges of the rim it somehow looses the geometry or balance or something gets wacko and looks wrong … not pretty … just laced and unbalanced (visually) and it just looks wrong. I know the engineers figured it out and it works fine… it just look out of balance I guess. ………………….Blitz
The OEM
cross spoked wheels.

· Premium Member
3,397 Posts
I'm fond of the outer laced rims. Maybe because my bike has them. Still happy with the tubeless tires on a dirt bike-ish machine.
I’ve read they are excellent at absorbing shock and preferred by many for ADV, trail and trial too …. I’ve always liked the looks of Classic spoke wheels both on my bikes and my Classic sports cars too .. with knock-spinners instead of American style lug bolts (good name LUG) but I never did much research into what advantage there was in using them …. I just understood that any type racing I got into in my youth the fellas with Mags and titanium rims were always having to replace their wheels when they fell because they chip and break and crack and that can go terribly wrong ……. My spokes and steel held up well and were easy to repair when I crashed or tangled with another bike … and I learned how to true a wheel which has helped me many times in the shop. …………………………………. Blitz

· Registered
21 R9T
264 Posts
I came across a Ducati adapter???? The bloke had the duk wheels on his beemer. Looked superb, when I went looking with heart a racing could not find one for all attempts. Me thinkus they may have been only built for a one time customer. But dam the would sell thousands.

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Things I've picked up reading this thread and exploring a few rabbit holes along the way.

No US or Canadian distributor has chosen to import Continental tubes. I'm sure it's a business decision, but not sure what's behind it. Perhaps better margin on other brands, perhaps as a low cost leader, there is more net sales opportunity is selling a slightly higher priced tube at the same margin at scale.

There is a distinction between radial tubes and bias tubes, but talking about them that way is misleading. There's not really such a thing as a radial tube, it's more correct to think of them as tubes made for radial tires. Many motocross and off road tires are still bias ply tires, don't build the same amount of heat during use. Because they can be susceptible to pinch flats, many riders prefer to run heavy duty (thicker) tubes. Those tubes are not appropriate for use in road applications because they build and retain more heat than thinner tubes. The tubes used in radial tires tend to be thinner, more flexible, and retain less heat when in use. The Continental tubes are spec'd at 1.5mm, and the Metzler's between 1.7mm &1.8mm. The tubes for bias ply tires can be up to 4mm thick.

There is a significant difference in the rim between tubeless and tube type where the valve hole is. On tubeless type rims, there is a flat machined around the valve hole so the value can be set flat and seal properly. On a tube type wheel, the value seat integrated into the tube does the work of preventing tire from leaking from the value. As such, most tube type rims have no special treatment around the valve hole.

Speculation: I'm guessing that the reason it was recommended never to run tubes in tubeless rims with tubeless tires has to do with the valve hold situation and with the internal rim profile. It may be that the machined edges of the value stem hole are sharp enough to cut tubes. It's also possible that the valve stem seat on an inner tube won't set properly in a rim that has a narrow channel where the value hole is drilled. Again, just speculation. If you were running an inner tube on a tubeless rim and got a puncture in the tube near the valve stem (tubes do move when in use, and there is expansion and contraction that happens), the tubeless tire would loose air because the valve is not sealed to the rim in the same way it is when running a true tubeless setup.

Image of the inner rim profile on a 2014 r nineT. These are not traditional tube type rims. They do have the bump designed to hold the bead in place after the tire is mounted, which means that in theory, sealing the rim and using a tubeless tire is less risky than trying to do it on a rim that doesn't have the bump. My local shop was nice enough to snap these for me while replacing my tube and remounting my tire yesterday.

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Gas Hardwood
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Trunk Gas

· Registered
21 R9T
264 Posts
Whew, you have been diverted. The biggest issue for tubes is the inside of the tyre. Found this out on my Ducati classic,some tyres have ridges inside the case and on tubeless not an issue but they are hell for a tube.
Tube really only come as heavy duty or standard, this needs no explanation and the HD’s are marginally heavier.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts