BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am finishing up my Autotune install and I was wondering where you guys (that have this installed) tapped the switched 12v to?

I know theres a GPS plug that you can attach things to, but it stays on 1 minute after you turn off the key (not sure if I want to have the widebands draining the battery everytime).
Are you guys tapping into the tail light per the instructions from dynojet? or is there another 12v switched source that turns off immediate with the key?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nevermind! Ended up tapping the license plate light and it provides the necessary voltage to the autotune.

·
Registered
108 Posts
nevermind! Ended up tapping the license plate light and it provides the necessary voltage to the autotune.
Make sure that circuit can supply the amperage that those heaters draw. I have one on my Kawasaki, and I had to use a higher amperage fuse on the tail light circuit.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make sure that circuit can supply the amperage that those heaters draw. I have one on my Kawasaki, and I had to use a higher amperage fuse on the tail light circuit.
so far so good @ttpete. Everything appears to be functioning as it should with the flick of the key. Widebands appear to be working without issues

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does your autotune still work? I have tried every place i can find for the 12v power and i lose power after about 8 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,563 Posts
Does your autotune still work? I have tried every place i can find for the 12v power and i lose power after about 8 seconds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You may well find that the bike's CANBUS system is cutting power to the autotune model if it is drawing too much current for the circuit it is connected to.

You need to find a supply circuit that supplies more current and has more headroom before the bike's electronic fuse circuitry cuts in. Possibly the headlight system?

2017 and later bikes have the latest CANBUS system which is really picky when it comes to adding accessories. If all else fails you might want to wire a relay into one of the switched supply wires to actuate the relay, then run a fused wire directly from the battery to the Autotune module.

Hopefully there is a more elegant solution than this though!

A thought - in the UK I see that Pier City Customs sells the Autotune module, they are bike builders/customisers (produced a few 9T customs) and will probably have experience in installing it. You might want to drop them an email.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Autotuene module is probably drawing too much current mate so the CANBUS system is cutting the power.

I see you have also posted in the Engine Tuning section, on reflection that forum section is probably a more appropriate place to ask this question so if anyone can help @hybridgsxr out please answer thre.

Here is the link to the thread:

https://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-tuning-performance/84025-autotune-install-where-you-guys-tapping-power.html
I use Autotune and the big drain isn't the module, it's the heated O2 sensor. I know it draws 5 amps and maybe more. He might want to use a relay on the canbus line and wire the autotune through the relay to the + battery terminal.

Reactions: hybridgsxr
1 - 7 of 7 Posts