BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 627 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's what I'm getting up to in my den this winter. The weather is officially shitty and my bike has been tucked away in semi hibernation for a month now. Time to amuse myself and start bolting on bits that I'd been gathering since buying the bike, but couldn't stop riding it for long enough to fit. ;)

Firstly I added some BMW cam cover protectors....

Not bad for £80 the pair. Won't be worth sh1t in a high speed tumble but will help in low speed tips...

Next up was fitting the BMW tank bag harness... Very easy and the harness looks good enough to leave on the bike without the bag. Added bonus is that the harness will help protect the tank and save me buying a tank protector.

Now for the expensive part! Ilmberger carbon fiber Hugger! ;)

An easy enough install once the silencer and rear wheel is removed, but I was uneasy with simply using the bolts provided with the Hugger as the bolts that came off the rear bevel drive had large captive washers on them, so I used some that I had in the garage. Took it nice and steady torqueing up the bolts to the required value given by Ilmberger, and there were a few creaks of complaint from the hugger as I neared full tightness. Sweaty palms time! lol

MMMMMMMMMMMM.....Carbon fiber goodness!

Very happy with how the bike looks so far.... Now waiting for the Motobox LED tail tidy before ditching the exhaust flapper valve and bolting the rear wheel and silencer back on.

Oh and I managed to find a use for that ugly diving board at the back of the bike before the tail tidy arrives.... ;)

Will add to this thread when the Motobox bits arrive... .Stay tuned! :)

·
Premium Member
3,226 Posts
Looking good!

·
Registered
883 Posts
wow I think we may be on the same speed I pretty much did similar stuff.
But I do like the tank protector idea. My idea for that same reason was going to be Bagster.com or DE etc. :) and they have the full tank cover so I know I would be cloaking it and maybe not pretty but I didnt think of your idea. Till Now

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Dave, What's in the mug? Bike looks great. A word of advice on the tank strap...Cut out a piece of microfibre cloth the same contour as the front part of the strap(Where it is closest to the key) and keep it under the strap when you tighten it all up. That is the one area where I have seen accelerated wear under the strap.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Dave, What's in the mug? Bike looks great. A word of advice on the tank strap...Cut out a piece of microfibre cloth the same contour as the front part of the strap(Where it is closest to the key) and keep it under the strap when you tighten it all up. That is the one area where I have seen accelerated wear under the strap.
Sadly just strong coffee! I was driving early the next morning. The drink drive limit was recently reduced to 50mg in Scotland, so even a pint of beer could kill your licence. Bit of a pain in the rear, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the tip for the tank bag harness. :)

Can't wait for the Motobox Tail tidy to arrive!

Still not fully decided on the bar end mirrors I'm going for, but think it's almost certain that I'll be opting for Oberon bar end indicators to go with the Oberon indicators that Motobox will be supplying with the tail tidy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Looking good pal. The rear mud guard must be a good improvement. How does it work? Can you provide a a link?

Merry Xmas

Saludos from Bogotá, Colombia.

XT1200Z/2014
WR250F/2014
BMW 9T/2015

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have seen wear from tank bags on too many bikes. Due the "soft" nature of this tank's paint, I went with the Hepco and Becker tank bag that mounts to the fuel filler and does not touch the tank at all. I highly recommend that route.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can we see the other bike in the background?
My Le Mans is getting worked on at present so is in a state of undress! lol

Here's a picture of her with her clothes on.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ohhhhhhh my goodness (heavily censored version!)

I just quickly started my bike to hear the effect of the flapperectomy. WOWWWWW!!! So much nicer. Got a noticeably louder and deeper sound at low revs with more of a hard edge to it. I can only imagine what it's going to sound like on the road...... :D

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice Dave.
Your gf seems like a real keeper too ;-)
any gf/wife that supports our 2wheel addiction is awesome. My wife got me a vintage nos wassel alu fender for Xmas.
Thx for the info on the stand, I gotta look into that.
Thank you, I'm not planning to trade-in my girlfriend anytime soon..... ;)

The stand is great value for money and easy to use. You have to order one for an R1200R but it just fits. I would recommend you create loops to "tie up" the rider footpegs as they come very close to the stand when using it. I used 2 cable ties to create the correct diameter of loop for each peg and keeep them hung drom a nail in the garage! They work a treat and take 30 secs to install both! Can be reused infinitely! The rear of the bike is jacked up high (about 6") and if you use a scissor jack under the front of the engine you can have two wheels in the air at the same time!

I'll try posting a couple of pics below:

Here's a link to the manufacturer's web site:

Superbike Stand - Abba Stands, UK

Hope this is useful to you. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok until the Motobox stuff arrives, I've busied myself with bolting on a few trinkets to my bike.

I managed to pick up a couple of bargains on eBay at a decent saving. Seems like the guy pulled out of buying a 9T after he had bought some accessories.... All brand new and sealed in boxes.

I got R&G Shaft Protector and Fork protectors which were dead easy to fit, and along with the cam cover protectors will help prevent damage in low speed tumbles.

Literally took 15minutes work in the garage and all was done!

First the shaft protector - 5 mins to fit....

Lastly the fork protector, 10 mins work to get it sitting exactly right....

There is an identical "crash bobbin" on the other side of the wheel.

I also started work on fitting my Garmin Sat Nav to the bike by installing a RAM mount on the handlebar clamp. Not posting a pic of this as it's boring and the job is not completed.... ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lookin' good Dave! Glad to see I'm not the only one blowing money left and right this winter on the bike :)

I'm calling January "The Month of Many Packages".
I should be calling January the month of the empty wallet! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
I should be calling January the month of the empty wallet! ;)
I think I'm with you on this now. Got a pile of packages yesterday and today (LED turn signals, CRG bar end adapters, CRG arrow mirrors, and a BMW badge to replace the tail light reflector). The Corbin seat is en route. Every time I open a box I think how much did this cost me?. Not sure I wanna know.

Got a nice three day weekend to tinker.

1 - 20 of 627 Posts