BMW NineT Forum banner

481 - 500 of 627 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
Don't mind at all, opinions always welcome.

Yes yours looks neater, but the way I figured it, this is something that's not really seen and you can't argue when the price was around £10 delivered from China.... ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
@BaldyDave;just for your information the S1000R handlebar is the same as the low Rizoma bar and only needs drilling on the throttle side !
Looking at the LSL rearsets that have steel on the shifter side instead of rubber and need hacksaw treatment on the sidestand maybe the adjustable Gilles Tooling are the way to go ?
Does your Ilmberger hugger has a little cutout in the middle no to interfere with the little protector that came with Ohlins rearshocks on R1200S and HP-2 Sport ?
The Hepco-Becker Otbit cases are very good but need the GS-ADV rear LED blinkers to clear the bags.I would have preferred if BMW made the R1200R bags available for the R9T because they hold 10 liters more.
A practical centerstand is still missing...
B.T.W. I love your Guzzi !
850 Le Mans,900 SS Beveldrive,R90S,R100RS,R1100S,CBX,Z900 and RnineT are my all time favourite bikes...

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
@BaldyDave;just for your information the S1000R handlebar is the same as the low Rizoma bar and only needs drilling on the throttle side !
Looking at the LSL rearsets that have steel on the shifter side instead of rubber and need hacksaw treatment on the sidestand maybe the adjustable Gilles Tooling are the way to go ?
The beauty of the LSL rearsets is they do move the controls and pegs back a fair bit, hence the need for linkages. Rizoma, Gilles and similar only really move the pegs around 20mm so are more cosmetic than a proper solution IMO. Losing the sidestand handle is a small price to pay, and anyhow I might try to have a solution in place over the winter. Right now it doesn't bother me though...

Does your Ilmberger hugger has a little cutout in the middle no to interfere with the little protector that came with Ohlins rearshocks on R1200S and HP-2 Sport ?
Not as far as I am aware. I have a Wilbers shock at the back and it doesn't come with any shock guard fitted. I don't think it needs one though as the hugger protects it well.

B.T.W. I love your Guzzi !
850 Le Mans,900 SS Beveldrive,R90S,R100RS,R1100S,CBX,Z900 and RnineT are my all time favourite bikes...
Thank you :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Dave - forgot to mention the HP2-S is probably my all time favorite dream bike but your Guzzi and the R90S get silver and bronze.
But for now I'm happy to live the dream on my RnineT or better R90 Sport like I refer to mine...;-)
I wonder why my Ilmberger hugger has the cutout in the middle ?
Maybe to clear the stock shock that has the little plastic protector attached ?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Curious how the LSL rearsets compare BD (I'm tall - presently using the Wunderlich lowering kit - which I find do reduce hip strain, however, considering controls upgrade..)

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #486 (Edited)
LSL Rearsets Vs Wunderlich lowering kit

Curious how the LSL rearsets compare BD (I'm tall - presently using the Wunderlich lowering kit - which I find do reduce hip strain, however, considering controls upgrade..)
I moved your post to my mods thread as questions not directly related to the sale are not allowed in the marketplace.

To answer your question, I found the lowering kit helped to significantly reduce leg strain and if the LSL rearsets hadn't come up at a good price on the forum, I'd still be happily using the lowering kit.

The rearsets are at about the same height as the stock pegs, but crucially move the pegs rearwards by (I'd guess) about 3 inches. The LSL rearsets are true rearsets in that they do move the pegs significantly rearwards, whilst most other "rearsets" are more cosmetic in that they look cool but only move the pegs around an inch.

I found that the pegs being placed further backwards was just as good at extending my legs into a more comfortable position. A surprise extra bonus was that the seat became more comfortable as my body weight was more evenly distributed between wrists, bum and feet. It is also much easier to tip the bike into corners and it became easier to move about on the bike to assist with cornering. Despite the LSL controls needing extra linkages I found that gear change is still very precise and rear brake seems more responsive (possibly due to different leverage), In any case I'm a convert, which is why the lowering kit is currently for sale in the forum Marketplace. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I moved your post to my mods thread as questions not directly related to the sale are not allowed in the marketplace.

To answer your question, I found the lowering kit helped to significantly reduce leg strain and if the LSL rearsets hadn't come up at a good price on the forum, I'd still be happily using the lowering kit.

The rearsets are at about the same height as the stock pegs, but crucially move the pegs rearwards by (I'd guess) about 3 inches. The LSL rearsets are true rearsets in that they do move the pegs significantly rearwards, whilst most other "rearsets" are more cosmetic in that they look cool but only move the pegs around an inch.

I found that the pegs being placed further backwards was just as good at extending my legs into a more comfortable position. A surprise extra bonus was that the seat became more comfortable as my body weight was more evenly distributed between wrists, bum and feet. It is also much easier to tip the bike into corners and it became easier to move about on the bike to assist with cornering. Despite the LSL controls needing extra linkages I found that gear change is still very precise and rear brake seems more responsive (possibly due to different leverage), In any case I'm a convert, which is why the lowering kit is currently for sale in the forum Marketplace. :)
The stock peg location is a bit of a pain anyway because they are always banging me in the shins when I need to put a foot down and push.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
The stock peg location is a bit of a pain anyway because they are always banging me in the shins when I need to put a foot down and push.

I agree but most of the time your feet are on the bike. Maybe BMW thinks that's more important?

I assume this does not happen to those who purchased aftermarket rearsets.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree but most of the time your feet are on the bike. Maybe BMW thinks that's more important?

I assume this does not happen to those who purchased aftermarket rearsets.
Just pushing back into a parking spot, for example. The rearsets move the pegs back out of the way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just read all 56 pages of your build thread!!
You my friend are an inspiration to us all.
I am just starting life with a NineT and now find myself with pages of upgrades to do !!
Cant wait !!:eek:hmy:

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #492
Just read all 56 pages of your build thread!!
You my friend are an inspiration to us all.
I am just starting life with a NineT and now find myself with pages of upgrades to do !!
Cant wait !!:eek:hmy:
Ha, thanks! I would love to be able to claim credit for all my mods, but I can't!

Truth is that most of my mods were inspired by other members of this forum who did them first. I really don't have that much imagination! lol I just cherry-picked the mods that I liked and bolted them to my bike.

That's the great thing about this forum, lots of people with good ideas and a friendly community spirit. Just like most people here, I've benefited from the group knowledge base and had a few laughs and smiles along the way.

Brotherhood Of The 9T in this small corner of the Web! ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #493 (Edited)
Service time!

Not strictly a mod, but in preparation for service time I got this at a decent price on that auction site that won't be mentioned..... ;)

And this is the sight that greets modern motorcycle maintenance - a laptop plugged into the bike!

And the GS-911 plugged into the 9T diagnostic port (2014-2016).

Had a brief play around with it. What fun! :D Can individually test all the lights, horn, instrument cluster gauges and lights and look at error codes and reset when needed, plus the much-needed function to reset the service indictor plus set custom service intervals if wished.

I'm only learning but I'm sure plenty other valuable functionality will surface in future as I work out how to use it.

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #495
Does it work with a MAC?
Yes and no!

You can use a Mac, but you need to install a virtual machine to run Windows OS. I use VMware Fusion with Windows 7 Enterprise installed. Works well on a Mac as long as you have enough memory and the GS-911 software seems to run just fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #496
Andreani Fork Upgrade Kit

Got these delivered today. Should cure the weak front end performance which was magnified after fitting an excellent Wilbers 642 rear shock. Almost half the price of Wilbers equivalent (their prices took a significant hike in the past months) and have favourable reviews around the Web (and from this forum too).

You can blame @Dario, its all his fault! haha ;) >:):p

May take a while to install them as I've got other things on my plate right now but I'll let you know when it happens.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Got these delivered today. Should cure the weak front end performance which was magnified after fitting an excellent Wilbers 642 rear shock. Almost half the price of Wilbers equivalent (their prices took a significant hike in the past months) and have favourable reviews around the Web (and from this forum too).

You can blame @Dario, its all his fault! haha ;) >:):p

May take a while to install them as I've got other things on my plate right now but I'll let you know when it happens.
My decision depends on your opinion!

481 - 500 of 627 Posts