BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends I wanted to share with you an incident I had today.

I have ‘Rizoma Eccentrico Bar End Mirrors’ on my 2018 standard r NineT.

this morning I was driving and suddenly my left mirror became loose. It spun forward and while I was driving it got stuck between handle bar and my clutch! Making the clutch inoperable.

i was riding maybe 25-30 mph and was in 3rd gear. Now I couldn’t get the bike in N. I had to apply brakes and as it fully stopped, the bike jerked forward and engine stopped. Thankfully there was not much traffic behind me.

i freed the clutch lever and continued home with unusable left mirror.

i was lucky it did not occur on right side as my main brake were to become unusable. I did not apply loctite when installing bar ends.

moral of the story: always check ur mirrors before riding.

be safe and enjoy life.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Unusual incident, but if it happened to you it can happen to another - thanks for the share.

Not to derail this thread, the bars of the R9T are wide and adding appendages to the bars further increases the width and besides, bar-ends change the field of view.
I will admit that they look nice!

·
Administrator
13,577 Posts
Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad you escaped unhurt.

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,043 Posts
i was lucky it did not occur on right side as my main brake were to become unusable. I did not apply loctite when installing bar ends.
@NaperNineT I got them from Revzilla and it was an easy quick install. Make sure to use loctite on the adaptors when installing; otherwise they will become loos from handbar vibration.
View attachment 153711
First of all, I’m glad you made it unscathed, congrats!

But then:
  • Lesson one: if you know you do have limited DIY skills, then follow directions at least. Loctite has its place in life, as do torque wrenches etc.
  • Lesson two: For the next time this happens, practice downshifting without using the clutch. It’s entirely doable to shift through gears without any clutch. Some people do that all day long, and it’s fun once you get a hang of it (ask @BlitzSchnell)
    You’ll even find Neutral without any issues. So, next time, firstly no panic. Then, shift w/o clutch if you really have to stop.

Plus, why was it not possible to twist the mirror back while continuing riding? That would have been my first move.

Honestly, this sounds like some mechanical understanding, more riding practice and experience would have made this situation entirely non-eventful.

·
Banned
11 Posts

this morning I was driving and suddenly my left mirror became loose. It spun forward and while I was driving it got stuck between handle bar and my clutch! Making the clutch inoperable.

i was riding maybe 25-30 mph and was in 3rd gear. Now I couldn’t get the bike in N. I had to apply brakes and as it fully stopped, the bike jerked forward and engine stopped. Thankfully there was not much traffic behind me.

be safe and enjoy life.
Making me think twice about doing this now

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got a barend on my racer only on the offside (UK drive on the left) if that happened it would have been the brake :eek:

Had a barend loosen on me before but never to the extent that it suddenly became so bad that it interfered with the lever and can't understand why you just didn't flip out the way, but I wasn't there.

I'd also just have banged down through the box without using the clutch as already said

I use locktite now and make sure it's secure, simply because it's an annoyance if it's loose rather than worrying it could result in a dangerous situation.

Thanks for posting up to make others aware.

·
Banned
11 Posts
I've got a barend on my racer only on the offside (UK drive on the left) if that happened it would have been the brake :eek:

Had a barend loosen on me before but never to the extent that it suddenly became so bad that it interfered with the lever and can't understand why you just didn't flip out the way, but I wasn't there.

I'd also just have banged down through the box without using the clutch as already said

I use locktite now and make sure it's secure, simply because it's an annoyance if it's loose rather than worrying it could result in a dangerous situation.

Thanks for posting up to make others aware.
Hopefully you used blue loctite and not red?

·
Registered
2021 BMW R9T Pure
42 Posts
Question to those who used both bar-end and OEM mirrors: how would you compare the safety aspect of using the two vs looks? Looks of bar-end mirrors are much better, but are they safer or less safe in terms of 360 awareness and distraction from direction you are moving to glance into the mirrors? Please share.

·
Registered
178 Posts
IMHO the OEM mirrors my racer came with offered a better rear than one barend I've installed.

It's a CRG Arrow and is a great mirror. Neither the OEM nor the barend vibrate so with both the view behind is clear, but the OEM twin mirrors offered better field of view.

On the plus side I only need to glance down to look at it and there's sufficient curvature in the mirror to show what's behind and to the right (remember we drive on the left). So although my view rearward is slightly compromised over OEM , it's still more than sufficient for my needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
First of all, I’m glad you made it unscathed, congrats!

But then:
  • Lesson one: if you know you do have limited DIY skills, then follow directions at least. Loctite has its place in life, as do torque wrenches etc.
  • Lesson two: For the next time this happens, practice downshifting without using the clutch. It’s entirely doable to shift through gears without any clutch. Some people do that all day long, and it’s fun once you get a hang of it (ask @BlitzSchnell)
    You’ll even find Neutral without any issues. So, next time, firstly no panic. Then, shift w/o clutch if you really have to stop.

Plus, why was it not possible to twist the mirror back while continuing riding? That would have been my first move.

Honestly, this sounds like some mechanical understanding, more riding practice and experience would have made this situation entirely non-eventful.
The reason I did not use loctite was the fact that there were no instructions (that came with the mirror) indicating me to use it.

the rear view on these mirrors is way much better than the oem, but this also depends on how tall the driver is and his her sitting position imho.

when the bike jerked and stopped, the left mirror was totally loose and couldn’t be put back into its normal position. Because I was on road and traffic behind me I let it be hanging down and continued to drive back home.

be safe everyone and do check ur bar ends before driving .

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Question to those who used both bar-end and OEM mirrors: how would you compare the safety aspect of using the two vs looks? Looks of bar-end mirrors are much better, but are they safer or less safe in terms of 360 awareness and distraction from direction you are moving to glance into the mirrors? Please share.
Even if you have huge mirrors a foot in diameter or tiny ones …first: uses them ..and then turn your head and LOOK to confirm what you thought you just saw in the mirror and do this EVERY TIME …every single time you look to see what’s behind you … mirror it (or not) then LOOK to be sure you didn’t miss something. Get in the habit and it’s not to much to ask. The first time that LOOK saves your butt from getting run over you’ll begin to understand redundancy and acquired riding protocol. StayUpOn2 Mate ………Blitz

·
Registered
2015 R NineT K21 2003 R1150RT
291 Posts

be safe and enjoy life.
Glad you're okay!

I installed Rizoma's Reverse Retro mirrors on mine. I took a test ride to adjust them accordingly, then added locktite to the screws to makes sure what you had happen didn't happen.

I hope you were able to correct your bar end mirrors and get rolling again safely.

·
Premium Member
BMW R nineT Pure
2,057 Posts
I'm glad you were able to get the bike stopped safely, and without dropping it. (y)

I have a set of CRG Arrow bar-end mirrors with look very sharp (no pun intended), and rearward visibility is good with them. But the left one came loose last year during a local ride due to one of the being stripped, but instead of replacing the bolt (so far) I just reinstalled the OEM mirrors but with a set of mirror extenders. I like this setup and have stuck with it ever since.

That being said, I might go back to bar enders at some point, but probably not this year. And @Chris<CJ> is right -- the R9T's handlebar is already pretty wide, and bar-end mirrors just make it worse. I'm not lane-splitting so it doesn't really matter, except trying to navigate around my bike while walking through the garage! :LOL:

·
Registered
55 Posts
For future reference…I have the Rizoma Spy-r 80 and they have been excellent. No issues and great quality, so you may want to consider for the future assuming you like the look. You can rotate them to mount above, even, or below your bars as well depending on preference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts