BMW NineT Forum banner

Bar end mirrors - easy how to guide

108K views 75 replies 43 participants last post by  Bill Door 
#1 ·
A few of the members have installed bar end mirrors, and when asked how, they typically respond with not the most detailed info. I wanted to fix that. So, I did some research and found a inexpensive and easy way to install a nice set.

Tools needed: Drill, bench vice, Torx socket set, socket wrench.

These are the mirrors I used:

I decided on the BikeMasters as I wanted to keep a stock look by keeping the aluminum end trim, minimal modification, and dead simple bolt on design. And they are half what Rizoma's cost.

Start by taking out the bar end Torx bolt (T-55 size)

It might be harder than you expect to remove due to the factory applied loctite, but it will come out.

Unfortunately the mounting hole on the BikeMaster bar end mirrors is not large enough for the stock end bolt, so the next step is to widen it. I used a small vice to hold the mirror while drilling it out with a 1/2 bit. The metal is easy to work with, took less than 20 seconds.

Then reassemble. The factory bolt is more than long enough to hold everything in place.

Looks pretty good to me, and only takes 10 minutes from start to finish.

Sorry for the shitty garage photos, its snowing outside today :eek:

See less See more
1 7
#2 ·
I like your workbench, looks very DIY.

#3 ·
Not too shabby. How do they look pointed inwards? Odd?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Of all things that came to mind (besides your very good instructions and ideas)....Seeing the tool belt, and thinking of the one I have now, brings back memories of this kick ass belt I had when working for Bell labs in 1969. All thick leather, meant to last a career. I changed careers shortly after that, and sure wish I had that tool belt again.

I also wondered if these would work with lane splitters in CA lol.

#7 ·
I've never had bar end mirrors, I love the way they look but how well do they work? I'm a little wider than I should be and worry that I might just be reminded of that and not have as good a view of what's behind me.
I like the way they look for sure, but the real reason I installed them was because I couldn't see behind myself very well with the stock setup. With the bar end mirrors installed I can easily see behind me. These mirrors are a bit small to be honest, but after a few hours one gets used to it no problem. For me its much more functional than the stock mirrors.

#10 ·
Love the pics. Thats exactly what I did with my Rizoma Mirrors.
Now I have the best rear/side view ive ever had on a motorcycle.
The Rizomas are large tho. 3 inch mirrors I think.
But awesome tutorial for the squeamish.

Good work!

#15 ·
Nice. More pics? Front side angles

#18 ·
#21 ·
Rizoma reverse retro

Easy to install. Drill out rozome (blue) bar end with 12 mil or 1/2 inch bit keeping the OEM bar end bolt and this is the result

Attachments

#24 ·
Not bad actually. Cross country looks fine maybe not short rides or buzzing round city.

#25 · (Edited)
petrichor said:
Easy to install. Drill out rozome (blue) bar end with 12 mil or 1/2 inch bit keeping the OEM bar end bolt and this is the result
How many inches out to the sides are the mirrors compared to actual bar ends?

Very nice btw. Looks natural

#26 ·
Depends how you set them!

----------

I'm experimenting. I like rear view better when mirrors facing outward. They protrude about 70mm beyond bar end for general use. When I'm commuting and know there'll be slow traffic, for lane splitting I prefer repositioning to face inward then protrude beyond bar end more like 25 mm.

But I won't squeeze through tight spots when lane splitting. That's just nuts.

Just don't want to bump my mirrors or handlebars because that can have consequences as well as invite road rage from cagers.

Reactions: xl883n
#27 ·
Ah, the ol' reverse retros

sent while chewing beef tapa

#29 ·
A mechanical idiot installs Rizoma Class Retro Mirrors using Rizoma Bar Ends

I had a set of black Rizoma Class Retro Mirrors from a previous bike that I mounted on my R9t. These are great mirrors. Much better view beside and behind the bike and much less vibration than stock. This set came off a bike I drove into the side of an SUV that turned left in front of me. Bike was totaled, I was dazed and confused and the mirrors had barely a scratch.

I mounted them using Rizoma Bar Ends part number MA506X where X indicates the color. This is an easy process. Since I'm in the less mechanically inclined portion of our community, I'll explain the process in painful detail. You'll need the following:

Mirrors
Shims supplied with the mirrors
Bar ends MA506
Torx T55 bit
Medium strength loctite
Hand drill with 12 mm drill bit. Half inch bit would work as well but is larger than necessary. A drill press would be preferable but the results will look the same.
Metric hex key to attach the mirrors

The process is straightforward. Take the Rizoma bar ends, set aside everything but the actual aluminum bar end. Drill 12 mm holes in the bar ends. Remove the stock bar ends. Remove the loctite from the stock bar ends with denatured alcohol or goof off. Reapply medium strength loctite to the bolt. Attach the modified Rizoma bar ends with the stock R9t bolts. Attach the mirrors.

I've provided pictures below.

Here's the bar end with hardware.

You are only going to use the aluminum bar end piece. A black one is pictured here with the hole already drilled out to 12MM to be installed with the stock R9t bolt.

Once you've drilled out the hole, remove the stock bar end, clean the loctite off the bolt. Apply new medium strenth loctite and attach the Rizoma bar end with the stock R9t bolt. The outer end of the Rizoma bar end is recessed and the recessed area is deep enough to hold the head of the stock R9t bolt. The bar end will bind the end of the clutch side grip and that's fine because you probably don't twist that grip much. The throttle grip has a space to keep the bar end clear of the grip so a spacer isn't required. Lock washers might be a good idea but I didn't use them because the bolt is large and the bar end is aluminum so I figured it would bind them securely. After a 1,000 miles they haven't moved.

The mirrors definitely contact the tank if installed below the bar.

Here are a few (really bad) photos of the mirrors installed. Note that the previous picture showed a black bar end I had laying around and used to test fit the mirrors. I only had one black bar end though so once I worked it out, I ordered a full set which was on sale and happened to be gold. So the photos below show the bar end in gold. Love the gold or hate it but it makes it easy to see the parts in these photos.

The holes where the stock mirrors attached bothered me so I found a solution.

These are available in 16mm and 20mm lengths from Boltdepot.com The 20mm stand proud of the hole so I went with the 16mm. 18mm would be perfect but it's not available. The socket for the hex key is so deep that you are actually filling a hole with a smaller hole. My solution was to screw them in with my finger upside down. That way there's not a hole there. Removing them will require drilling a small hole in them so I can spin them out but that won't be a big deal. Here's how they look installed:

Hope that's helpful for anyone looking to install bar end mirrors using Rizoma hardware.

#30 ·
I must be going blind but where is the piece u drilled? I just see gold tips

In any case i like yours as you've managed to eliminate the end caps that go at the end of the mirror assembly

sent while chewing beef tapa

#31 ·
I started with a single black bar end and showed that drilled out. I them drilled an identical pair of gold bar ends and provided photos with the gold bar ends installed.

The Rizoma bar ends have plastic end caps that appear in the discard pile. I would have installed those but the stock bolt heads are so big the end caps won't fit.

#38 ·
Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.