BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

After 2 years and 2 months (2 months after my warranty expired on my battery...) my battery has gone bezerkkk and is no longer keeping it's charge.

I know the process to change it seems quite lengthy and other members mentioned the need to remove the tank to access it. I was wondering if anyone had a DIY on how to do it, or would be nice enough to share the info from the service manual.. not a fan of paying the dealer for this type of job.

Also, any recommendations on best batteries to use afterwards, definitely dont wanna be going back to OEM!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I changed my stock battery after 2 years + few months... no longer held its charge....
even after a jump start, it would just die on me so I had to tow it home....

I did the job myself, its not hard, but it is bit time consuming....
I didnt have any diy info on this so I just traced around the battery, seeing what I needed to remove to have access, (I knew that the tank had to be lifted up+hoses detached, and etc....
the job seems harder than it looks, u should give it a shot

if you have a buddy to help you hold the tank up, its good~ but if u dont, no worries~ just use a long stick like a mop or a broom and youre good to go.
when I swapped out the battery, I wanted something strong, so I went with Shori lithium.... but I think just regular battery should be fine..... assuming you swap out your battery every 2 yrs....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I am looking for a tutorial on replacing the battery (specifically on the 2017 Scrambler if possible). Can't find it in these forums so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi I just did this yesterday
I went to Batterymart.com purchased a Lithium Battery for same price as AGM or gel etc.
And I came back here and searched this forum "Battery replace". and there was a few write ups on with pictures
You do have to have some time and some drinks, smokes :). cause it takes a bit of time and it looks worse than it is

seriously I didn't realize the lithiums are half the size, stronger, weigh half, and also they do much better as a charging unit
just use this search community on top of the page and you will get your answer "FYI" the air filter is right next to battery may want to replace that too while you re there

·
Registered
199 Posts
Which is the best air filter in your opinion if one wants an upgrade, better air flow and longevity? Also if the Lithium battery is smaller how does one go about fitting it so it's firmly situated in its position?

·
Administrator
11,513 Posts
Lets please keep this conversation surrounding battery replacement. Air filters have already been covered elsewhere and you are welcome to post a question on a relevant thread if you feel your question hasn't been covered. :)

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,937 Posts
Also if the Lithium battery is smaller how does one go about fitting it so it's firmly situated in its position?
My replacement battery came with packing blocks to secure it in place.
You could also source some dense rubber to make your own packing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi I just did this yesterday
I went to Batterymart.com purchased a Lithium Battery for same price as AGM or gel etc.
And I came back here and searched this forum "Battery replace". and there was a few write ups on with pictures
You do have to have some time and some drinks, smokes :). cause it takes a bit of time and it looks worse than it is

seriously I didn't realize the lithiums are half the size, stronger, weigh half, and also they do much better as a charging unit
just use this search community on top of the page and you will get your answer "FYI" the air filter is right next to battery may want to replace that too while you re there View attachment 128341
Interesting. Is this as obvious as it looks, pivoted up that far with the rear bolts still attached? Anything disconnected from the tank at all, hoses, electrical connectors, etc? Just remove the two front tank bolts and rotate up? And, I assume you have something, a bungee, rope, etc, holding this up to the garage ceiling?

·
Administrator
11,513 Posts
To raise the tank that far I'd be surprised if you don't have to disconnect the fuel lines and probably the electrical connectors for the low fuel sensor plus the fuel pump. I know the fuel lines have quick disconnect couplers and the electrics will simply unplug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
After 3 years my battery died on me. I decided to go for a Yuasa YTX14H-BS 12V High Performance Maintenance Free VRLA Battery. Too early to say whether its better than the original. I decided to go fit the battery myself, having the read various instructions on this forum. Turns out, its simpler than it looks, however couple of things I found:

• it took me a while (circa 3 hours and lots of coffee), since there's plenty of things to undo and cut.
  • I needed help to hold up the rear of the tank (front of the tank was sitting on wood as per the instructions on this forum) - one person holds up the rear of the tank, other person handles the battery
  • I decided to leave all the electrical connections and petrol pipes in place, which makes getting the battery in/out harder
  • Next time I will take the petrol tank off completely
  • Take plenty of pics of cable routing/cable ties that you have to move/cut
  • With the tank propped up on piece of wood, makes it super easy to replace and upgrade the Horn - I went for Denali Sound Bomb Mini
  • I didnt need any blocks with this Yuasa battery as its perfect fit

·
Registered
284 Posts
Baldy Dave, how is your battery holding up?

Im getting nervous, 4 years and 21,000 miles, stil have original battery.
I've always used battery tender in winter months.
When I get to 24k miles and do the air filter, I guess I will install new battery at that time.

·
Administrator
11,513 Posts
I replaced my battery a couple of months back. The bike was still starting, but occasionally when I pushed the button I would just get a click and nothing else, pushing the starter button again and it would start but didn't crank as quickly as it used to do. Got a high capacity Yuasa battery and normal operation has been resumed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts