BMW NineT Forum banner

241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Let me know if there's anything you need to know that might be in my Rider's Manual and I'll get it to you somehow. What year/ model is yours?

Reactions: BlitzSchnell

·
Registered
907 Posts
Let me know if there's anything you need to know that might be in my Rider's Manual and I'll get it to you somehow. What year/ model is yours?
Thanks Mate, you’re a sweetheart. I bought the Haynes manual and so far it’s answered many questions I’ve had. If it doesn’t cover something I’m interested in you’ll be the first place I go to ask.
Be safe and stay healthy my friend. Can’t wait to ride again. Blitz

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought a Battery Tender Jr. model for about $22. It came with leads and has worked good for me.
I have a 2017 Pure with over 16K miles and the original battery still seems OK.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to the forum and have had a look around the threads. I have recently purchased a 2019 Scrambler and am looking for a can bus trickle charger for battery maintenance and mostly for during storage in the winter.
I have been away from the motor scene for a few years hence was wondering which is the one to buy.

Many thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Out of pure laziness I have bought the original BMW.
But I suspect that on Amazon you can find proper alternatives and save money...

Inviato dal mio SM-A750FN utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ok thanks. The BMW dealer offers me the original one for the can bus for € 132 but not sure if there were any better ones out there.

·
Administrator
11,244 Posts
Hi @FlyBike, there are probably 2 chargers that members seem to buy more than most - Optimate 4 (you can get a canbus edition for our BMW bikes) or a BMW charger. There are others you can use too if you so choose. There is a big thread that covers chargers on the forum so I've moved your post there. Plus other threads exist too if you do a search. Have a read and see what you think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi @FlyBike, there are probably 2 chargers that members seem to buy more than most - Optimate 4 (you can get a canbus edition for our BMW bikes) or a BMW charger. There are others you can use too if you so choose. There is a big thread that covers chargers on the forum so I've moved your post there. Plus other threads exist too if you do a search. Have a read and see what you think.
Thanks BaldyDave for the response and moving it to the correct thread. Sorry!

·
Administrator
11,244 Posts
Thanks BaldyDave for the response and moving it to the correct thread. Sorry!
No need to apologise mate, you are new here and it can take a wee while to find your feet.

I have had an Optimate 4 Canbus edition charger for my bike since I bought it in 2014 and have to say I think it does a great job. It plugs straight into the bike's accessory socket and works really well.

·
Registered
2016 R-nineT Classic + 1984 Kawasaki ZL900
45 Posts

I’m using this CTEK Powersport and it does the job straight through the CANBUS.

R nineT Classic 2016
Kawasaki ZL900 1984

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK sorry to be redundant, but I am about to connect the charging pigtail I have for my CTEK charger to the '17 R Nine T Pure. Attached is the overhead view, and you can see the CTEK pigtail ends CT+ and CT-, ready to attach to something.

For the red, do I go to B1 or B2?

For the black, my preference is to go to one of the two screws behind (bottom of pic) the box. That would be screws 3 or 4.

Your advice is needed. Thanks.
2020-06-30_1018.png
2020-06-30_1018.png

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Personally, I'd connect the pigtail direct to the battery, which sits under the back of the tank, only a few inches lower than where you intend to connect now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not prepared for tank removal.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,713 Posts
@Shortfinger CT+ can connect to either B1 or B2, they are both connected together anyway via the metal band that runs beneath them!
CT- is probably best at 3 or 4, just make sure you have the ring at the bottom closest to the frame, and as I did, scratch a little bit of the paint away underneath the ring connector to be sure of a solid earth point. So to elaborate, this puts the connector underneath the strap mounting tang.

You could also place the CT- at 1 or 2, but be sure you can get it mounted on the frame. I don't remember what's under the alloy sideguards, but if the screw does go into the frame, then that's just as good a place.

Cheers

241 - 254 of 254 Posts