BMW NineT Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
also, the oem battery was ~11.5 lbs, just for reference. so the Yuasa YTX14H-BS is actually around 1lb lighter, which doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I think that is the same battery I have replaced mine with about a year ago
but last week the battery died (yes it sat for two months) I had to get a jump start and I just went out for a long ride to recharge the battery and the bike started up all day long a few times that I stopped
its a good battery and maintaining it the right way will last a while
I have to runa. trickle charge now I do not feel like jumping this again

·
Registered
148 Posts
Braille Battery

I have had nothing but good experiences with this make battery. I have been perusing the fora for battery information and it seems that there are but a few options for the RnineT. This battery is 2.5mm taller and 2.6mm shorter in length. I have yet to take the tank off on the bike. What do you think, will it fit? Concerned with the added 2.5mm height increase. 360 CCA!

I turned over a 1917cc S&S Super Stock Super Sidewider+ motor for years with this battery.

Note...The brass fittings screw off. Standard battery connections underneath.

Battery 3.PNG

·
Registered
178 Posts
I read a lot of good things about the Braille battery and decided to buy one for my KTM 950 Super Enduro. The battery died after only two years of use. I would spend $$ and go with an Anti Gravity battery. I have them in my street and dirt bikes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
^ works for me.
Just need to know if there is enough room for the height.

I have had this bone shaking hardtail for 12 years.
1.JPG

With two of these Braille battery going 5 years each.
2 - Copy.jpg

The third has been in for two years without a hiccup.

I am comparing measurements to this go-to Yuasa: This Yuasa is 2.5mm shorter (H) and 2.6mm narrower (L)
Yausa.PNG

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
332 Posts
My 2.5-year old battery (original, new bike), started playing out in October, starting in the morning only with the help of the BMW charger. I could also see the voltage plummeting overnight with my Bluetooth monitor so I decided to replace it before I'd get stranded. I chose lithium and it would have to have BMS and have some sort of "pedigree". After a lot of investigation, I found that Ducati and Beta sell Skyrich batteries (yes, made in PRC) as their lithium options. That was the pedigree...

I ended up with their HJP series which does have BMS and selected the biggest one that would fit in the available space: HJP21-FP. I'm not sure it is available outside Europe. It's a 6Ah, 360CA, 330CCA thing. So far so excellent, that's what I can say.

Do note that I'm in Portugal, and I haven't seen temperatures lower than +12ºC yet. The lowest I get in my area is +5ºC at 5AM in the bleakest winter days (just a handful a year); I cannot talk about the suitability of these batteries for say, Canadian or central Europe weather :) Also the bike sleeps in my underground garage that never goes under +15ºC in those chilliest days.

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
16 Posts
I just purchased my 2017 a couple of weeks ago and so far the battery seems fine. Is there a way to test the battery health to see if you need a replacement or do you just have to wait till it dies or change it proactively?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes. Use a volt meter, you can check volts prior to starting the engine, the voltage drop on starting the engine and charge rate with engine running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long time listener, first time caller; I just wanted to give a collective thank you to everyone who has contributed to this discussion over the years.

After four years, my stock battery finally gave up the ghost last weekend. I ordered the much recommended YTX14H-BS and read every post here. This morning, after a night charging the new battery, I started the insanity. I’m a long time rider and have done a ton of wrenching, so I wasn’t totally out of my element. That said, I’ve never had to take one down this far just to change a battery.

Anyway, reading and rereading all the advice and step-by-steps here, I knocked it out without issue. By myself, with everything staged where it would be within arms reach when I needed it, I finished in just over two hours. I went with the tank completely off method.

Not a single issue during or after after the rebuild. No error messages, no warning lights, not even the wrench light some have mentioned. Started up instantly and strongly and not so much as a hiccup on the shakedown ride.

Thanks again, all.

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
16 Posts
Seems a bit insane that a part with a lifespan of 3-4 years would require the removal of the tank. I used to pop the battery out of my motorcycle each winter for easy charging.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My wifes Bimota DB1 (1987) has the battery under the tamk = remove fairing and body work. (3 yr battery life). My wifes Ducati Monster has the battery under the tank, to do the job well means disconnecting 2 fuel lines, therefore new clips and special tool required. (7 yr battery life). The battery access on the Rnine T takes a little time, but an expected solution with modern design. The Rnine T rear tank hinge and refit is great, try a KTM 990 tank hinge and refit, now that is a [email protected]

·
Registered
2017 R9T Classic
16 Posts
I guess it's just how it's done on Euro bikes but I still think it should be under the seat. The Japanese, Brits and Americans seem to do it.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
350 Posts
Also BMW did, my R1200R had it under the seat...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess it's just how it's done on Euro bikes but I still think it should be under the seat. The Japanese, Brits and Americans seem to do it.
Plenty of European bikes are the same. I’ve had three Triumphs with batteries under the seat, a Moto Guzzi, and my other current BMW, an R1200R. This R9 is the first bike I’ve ever had that was like this.

Still, it’s not hard, just time consuming. As others have pointed out, it’s a four to five year occurrence, so nothing major. Plus I really dig wrenching as it’s a great way to learn the bike. Truth be told, I was excited to have to do it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Change the slick design, move the shock mounts, add side panels = install your battery under the seat.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My buddies battery died yesterday and got me thinking to check my battery out. I'm planning a week trip to the mountains soon (in a quite remote area with no cellular service) and my battery is still the original from 2016 (and nearly 4,000 miles on it). I do keep it on a tender when I know i won't be riding it for more than 4 weeks.

I put the volt meter and it's sitting at 12.7v and when I crank the bike it drops around 9.8v but nothing less momentarily then goes back up; so it still appears healthy. Last thing I want is to get stranded in the middle of no-where though. I may need to just buy one of those portable jump starters to be safe.

My question is, anyone else have a battery that's lasted this long?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Mine was from 2017 and it was hovering around 12.2 - 12.5 volts, and I too keep it on the tender in the off season. I'm up here in northern Illinois, so our off season might get a lot colder than yours, and I know the severe cold is not good for lead acid batteries.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine was from 2017 and it was hovering around 12.2 - 12.5 volts, and I too keep it on the tender in the off season. I'm up here in northern Illinois, so our off season might get a lot colder than yours, and I know the severe cold is not good for lead acid batteries.

Best,
-Tim
Did yours just not turn on one day I assume?
Yea, i'm in North Carolina (85F at the moment) and the bike does get stored in an insulated garage, so it doesn't get too cold in there. What battery did you end up getting?

·
Registered
174 Posts
We've been having weirder and weirder springs of late, where it will go from below freezing one day to 65ºF the next. I took the tender off on a warm day when I was planning on going for a spin and forgot to put it back on, and about two weeks later when we had another warm day, when I first turned the key, it groaned and nothing. I turned it off and back on again and it started fine, but I was concerned. Then I had my HexCode GS-911 hooked up to it doing some service interval changing and after about fifteen minutes, I noticed the battery was down to 12 volts even, so I figured it was just a matter of time before it would be an issue, and I plan a few longer rides this summer, so I thought, let's just do this. I replaced it with a sealed cell Duracell battery. So far it's been great.

Best,
-Tim

·
Registered
189 Posts
Starman,

My wifes Ducati battery lasts 7 years, my wifes Moto Guzzi 10 + years. Her car battery died after a year. Modern bikes on modern batteries oft equals a short battery life. (2 or 3 years). With lots of care, I could never get my Superduke battery past 2 years of life. If it were me, a 5 year old battery and a trip to the land of no cell coverage would lead me install a new battery, remove the worry and enjoy the trip.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts