BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a word of warning to anyone who has the café racer hump on their bike.
I pulled the leatherette pad off mine to use the hump for useful storage, just as BMW intended.
However when I went to put it back on, it would not clip back in place.
I had located it properly at the bottom, but the clip at the top wouldn't go back in, so I taped it up, and rode to my BMW dealer, cursing it.
One of the mechanics came out, and immediately spotted that I had managed to bend the little metal clip that locates into a recess in the pad.
:goodjob:
He managed to get it back into shape with a pair of long nose pliers.
I felt very stupid to say the least, BUT, easily done, so be careful

·
Administrator
11,369 Posts
Good post, but in wrong forum section....Moved to Appearance & Body.

Also be aware the rubber grommet that the pin latches to is prone to tearing, and steer clear of stowing anything hard and heavy in the hump. I am amongst the folk that learned the hard way and had a disc lock work loose from it's soft wrapping and dented the soft aluminium shell. Expensive lesson!

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Yeah, for something that is meant to be accessed quite often, that hump latch mechanism sure seems to be a little on the flimsy side. It actually would have been nice if that whole door mechanism was a little more robust. Having to use those alignment holes while something is actually stuffed into that little space can be a chore, and I could certainly see a misalignment causing the latch to get munged-up.

Ahh, the sacrifices we must make for the sake of looking so good...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Back in my Air Force Days I was not careful with my hump. Long story short, I ended up at my doctor getting a shot of penicillin.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Dave, feel free to delete.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I can fit an 12V electric tyre pump, rope tyre plug tools and common torx and allen keys.
I'm sure that the hump can be a good and useful storage place but I have so much trouble getting the pad off and on that I just gave up. I'm glad that you figured out how to make it work. I wish I could.

I use the BMW tank bag for my storage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@George: put a little bit of grease on the small pin at the pad. It´s like lube and makes it easier. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
@George: put a little bit of grease on the small pin at the pad. It´s like lube and makes it easier. :)
make sure its silicone grease as general purpose grease may degrade the rubber overtime.
I use a little bit silicone spray to keep it lube up.

·
Registered
2018 Racer
7 Posts
The metal clip on mine broke and the pad is not staying in place when riding downhill. Looking for ideas on fixing it. I just started researching and wondering what others have done.

·
Registered
2018 RnineT Racer
32 Posts
Mine had to come from Germany direct and I had the same issue with the cover coming off downhill or anytime I had to stand on the pegs on bad roads. Now when I put it back on I make sure its pushed as far down on th plastic pegs it can be and then gingerly push back. You get used to the method, at first its annoying but its second nature after a while. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,805 Posts
Reactions: blowfish and Broll

·
Registered
R-NINET Racer
54 Posts
When I received my racer with 1200 km, my latch was also bent, I bent I back but it does not convince me. Honestly I don´t get the entire idea of a storage with no lock, with a lock at least I could store the bikes documents in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts