BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to get a RnineT but I am a little bothered with the lack of wind protection in the cooler months are there any good screens

·
Registered
44 Posts
What kind of R nine T you have?

Last week i got a Wunderlich screen for my R nine t urban g/s.. i sent the entire screen + spoiler back yesterday. The screen caused a ton of turbulence around my helmet. Rather have a "Clean" Airflow.

If you are looking for a screen; find one that you can easily take off and only put on during the winter months. Also make sure it is high enough so you can just see over it. That way you got the most chance it will actualy be effective. It wont look nice; but sure is practical.

Something like this. They are universal screens not made specific for the R nine t; but will fit.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
What flavour of R nineT are you considering? This will affect the responses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This would be a screen for the classic RnineT. If I comute on the bike there is a 20 stretch on motorway.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
How much protection are you after? A fly screen like the Dart I have fitted to my bike will take a little of the air flow away at higher (motorway) speeds but will be of negligible effect travelling slower.

Few members have fitted larger puig screens but not everyone liked the result (see above).

It can be highly subjective, and various factors come into play - personal preference (acceptable fairing performance) , rider height, handle bars fitted, the helmet and other things.

It can be a bit of a minefield.

Personally I'm delighted with my Dart screen, at motorway speeds it hits my helmet just on the chin bar and smooths the air flow around the Schuberth C3 Carbon I use (apparently a C3/C4 hybrid design, or so I was told).

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
400 Posts
If you're looking for wind protection to keep your chest from getting so cold a tall windshield like @Chris. posted above is probably best. But I've not seen anyone with a windshield that tall on an R9T. What I have seen, however, is shorter windscreens or flyscreens meant to take some of the pressure off the rider's chest at higher speeds, like @BaldyDave mentioned. But I don't think the shorter screens will be as effective at keeping your chest from getting cold. Better than nothing, but not as good as the taller windshield. And that Puig windshield above looks like a great option.

·
Registered
R nine T Classic 2016
33 Posts
Quite fancy the Ilmberger fairing. It can be found in the thread ‘90S style fairing by ilmberger - maybe our ‘cold’ in South Africa is not like your cold in the UK :). Recently I also got some handguards for touring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks, previously I had an R1200R air cooled version and some of the screens were too noisy from buffeting. I have a quiet C3 helmet and with the right screen the r9T might but ok.

·
Registered
R nine T Classic 2016
33 Posts
I found the Bell Bullit to become less noisy, so maybe other helmets will be better too because the air is deflected upward. This fairing will not keep out the rain though, it’s too low for that.

·
Registered
2019 RnineT
38 Posts
Be aware that buffeting is often the result of airflow from beneath the fairing/screen rather than above. So, screen height isn’t always a solution. Our bikes cut through the wind quite nicely as-is, but will never provide cold weather protection to any significant degree. Most likely this effort will be a matter of exchanging one set of problems for another...at best. No screen for me.

The solution? A second motorcycle designed for touring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts