BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am Erik from Belgium and currently owner of a motorscooter, far from flashy or cool compared to your rides :) but I'm getting more and more exited to own a real motorcycle in the future.

I got my motorcycle license in november 2012, than I bought a Burgman 650 in may 2013.
And I use that motoscoot as my daily driver, its very practical, has tons of storage +110 liter, a 12V plug, electrically adjustable windscreen, dual heated seats, heated grips and electrically foldable mirrors (very handy in traffic!)
But hey, its a Burgman and certainly no R NineT:cool:

I also have a small 50cc Zoomer (Ruckus in the US)

From time to time I join my buddy and he rides a Monster

For my future 2nd bike, I had all kinds of bikes from different manufacturers going thru my head:
HD Iron 883
Honda CB1300
Yamaha/Star Bolt
Yamaha XJR1300
Honda CB1100
Kawasaki W800
Triumph Thruxton
Ducati Hypermotard and Multistrada

So different makes & styles.

But my dreambikes for a long time now is a Honda CB1100.
I am not gonna waist much words about his bike, only this one picture of how its suposed to look:

CB1100 - Café racer style!

Or this nicely done Italian makeover

Though a practical bike would always stay on my wishlist, so IF I had to replyce my scooter it would be by the even bulkier 6 cylindre Honda F6b.

Or maybe with the far more sportier Ducati Multistrada.

But since that has the price of a car, lets focus on my 2nd bike and for me that bike has to be aesthetically pleasing rather than practical and more specifically I prefer a symmetrical look.

For no specific reason I recently bumped upon a type of motorcycle that I initially didn't, naked bikes.
Because todays models just dont appeal to me, especially many Japanese naked bikes, I think many look the same, only the Ducati Hypermotard models can please me in the naked bike section.
I kinda digg the Monster models as well.

I remember visiting the yearly automotive convention in my country (cars and motorcycles) and also looking at a R Nine T, but wasn't particulary blown away by it.
Maybe my head was too much focused on other bikes, dunno why, but it seems now its the only bike am doing research on!

And meanwhile I've been watching tons of reviews and youtube films, and I really dig the sound of the stock exhaust.
Also, I've been checking this board out and some of the (mainly Rizoma and Wunderlich) aftermarket parts for this bike and I like what I see.
I think next time I am gonna visit the convention, I'm gonna be wondering around that bike half of the day :)

I dig the overall look of it, especially that boxer engine sticking out and the shaft drive system, wich is also convenient of course.
Small thing I dislike, single sided exhaust, I am a sucker for a balanced overall look.
But I understand a dual sided exhaust system is impossible due to that big shaft drive system.
Unless you mount the exhaust very high, wich I have seen (concept?) pics of.
But hey, the sound of the exhaust makes up everything!

Also the plastic gauges are a bit cheapo, but I also see that RSD will release his parts for BMW by December this year.

Big mistake from BMW is the fact they opt for TUBED tires on a 14000 euro bike...unbelievable.
Can also be remedied by some nice but expensive tubeless rims, but why did BMW give this bike such rims in the first place is beyond me.

A think I am not sure about is the seating position, it has the same forward lean as a Ducati Monster.
About 18°
Before I can finally rule out if its comfortable enough for me, I really have to test ride it I think...but untill then, I keep dreaming about it.

So there you have it, you know my wishes and dreams and all I can do meanwhile is save up for a nice model and meanwhile keep checking the board I guess.

But have some questions, like what is the make of this tank strap?

Thx a lot
Riko

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Welcome! The Honda is a fine bike, no doubt about it, but it's no RnineT. I think the cost to make the Honda look as good as your pics (or as good as an RnineT) is pretty comparable to what it would cost to remedy your concerns with the RnineT - although your tubeless tire complaint has been disputed here on the forum, ad nauseam. Do a search here, you'll find plenty of discussions on the topic.

The tank strap is the OEM mount for the BMW tank bag.

·
Super Moderator
10,060 Posts
Welcome Erik! :) You've shown some nice bikes in your thread, but I'd still have buy my R nineT in preference to them all.... :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I really like vintage bikes, but from my experience with keeping them running I much prefer a modern "vintage" ride. I was on Triumph after several antiques (got tired of working on them to keep them going) and made the switch to the 9T as it is such a knockout machine. I agree with Karamazov... the costs to maintain and customize an older bike can exceed that of buying a really nice sorted one new.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thx for the welcome messages guys!

Welcome! The Honda is a fine bike, no doubt about it, but it's no RnineT. I think the cost to make the Honda look as good as your pics (or as good as an RnineT) is pretty comparable to what it would cost to remedy your concerns with the RnineT - although your tubeless tire complaint has been disputed here on the forum, ad nauseam. Do a search here, you'll find plenty of discussions on the topic.

The tank strap is the OEM mount for the BMW tank bag.
Yep, very true indeed, it would cost some serious money to make that CB look like I wish, the silver one, actually my absolute favorite conversion of the bike.
But almost every big visable part is aftermarket.
On that pic: the seat, the tank, the handlebars, the exhaust, the cowl.
And also, they are all very costly after market parts, from Japan.
And I've not yet started about wheels or tires.
I like wide rear tires and stock the CB has "only" a 140.
I'd aim to get at least a 160 with.

The BMW and Honda are very similar in certain areas such as serious ABS brakes, and they both look cool as ****, but the BMW does have some very neat features the Honda doesn't and wich I very much like, such as:
- a shaft drive, you cant go wrong with that and looks cool!
- a very cool sounding exhaust, maybe the best stock sounding bike I've heard thats not a Harley :)
I have yet to find an aftermarket pipe for the CB that sounds as good as the BMW's ON FILM!
There is one manufacturer that makes great sounding and looking dual sided pipes, but hes from Australia and they cost a shitload of money...
And when something on film/youtube already sounds great, It can only be better in real life
- 20 horsepower more @ same revs + 26nm more (= about 20 fpt) @ same revs as well.
- and the BMW is much lighter than the Honda! 26kg (57lb) lighter the base CB; and even 38 kg (84lb) lighter for the Deluxe model! thats a lot!

Pricewise a stock CB1100 already costs about 11.500 euro or 12.290 euro (depending if choosing Deluxe model or not, wich has dual exhaust and a slightly bigger tank)
Thats about 14.400 - 15.400 USD.
How much I like that bike, it still think its about 1000 USD to much.

The BMW costs in Belgium about 15.000 euro = 18.800 USD.
As much as I find the Honda to be a bit too expensive, the BMW is also overpriced to say at the least.
But when I would modify that CB to the CB on the picture above with nice Kineo tubeless rims and a fat (160) tire, the total amount would be close around the area of a new NineT I would for sure.

So yeah, the BMW is a very valid alternative, the closest alternative to the CB in terms of overal look and power and reliability.
When the reliability is not an issue for me, I would also consider a Ducati Hypermotard, but dunno about Italian bikes, its an old cliché and maybe that cliché is dated for modern Ducs...
My friend will sell his Duc since int failed on him, again. Then again, he doesn't take good care of his bike, gotta be honest in that as well.
I've heard many say that Ducs are reliable bikes, as long as you keep following the maintenance schedules very strictly.
There is a certain way and knowledge how to maintain a Duc to keep it running and reliable.
In that knowledge, with Japanese bikes, generally, when you miss a few miles in your maintenance schedule, you dont have to worry so much.
And than there is this very informative diary of a Ducatista review and testing a Multistrada, the fairly new and modern touring Ducati:
Multistrada 1200S: Four-up | Ducati Diary
In my eyes, the things he said and showed and proved aren't so nice in my eyes, such as early corrosion and this sentence:
"Closing with that problem of finish again, there may be some hope: Ducati is however now part of the VAG group, with a newish head of QA from Audi. They’ve needed him, as they do seem to have gone backwards in quality of finish and detail reliability in recent years"

I really like vintage bikes, but from my experience with keeping them running I much prefer a modern "vintage" ride. I was on Triumph after several antiques (got tired of working on them to keep them going) and made the switch to the 9T as it is such a knockout machine. I agree with Karamazov... the costs to maintain and customize an older bike can exceed that of buying a really nice sorted one new.
the CB1100 is a modern "vintage" as well btw ;)

At the end of the day you (or I) will alsways end up with a bike that you are not 100% happy with.
There are always compromises to be made or things you want you just cant get, some of them can be remedied with after market stuff, and some you just have to live with I guess.

I digg the CB no doubt, but for now, without having to ride a BMW yet, something draws me towards the BMW.
I think what tips the scale was the overall power it has over the Honda and the sound you get from the stock exhaust....and I also really dig those cylinder heads sticking out from the bike I guess :cool:

And talking about Ducati, mostly more negatively, I would assume that VAG-Group ownership would amend the small issues that otherwise cool company has, and I must admit their upcoming Scrambler models look georgous as well!
Especially the Full Trottle model.
Assuming Ducati has gone completely German in terms of reliability, what do you NineT owners think of this bike?

First impressions are a chain doesnt look as cool as a shaft drive.
And the front area from a side view doenst make a very strong impression, could use a cowl or something.
Also a pitty Ducati hasnt kept to its tradition of make it with a single side swing arm.

Overall, it does look cool, the seat, handlebars, fat 180 tire as well!
Power in pure numbers may not be that impressive:
Power 75 hp (55 kW) 8250 rpm
Torque 50 lb-ft (68 Nm) @ 5750 rpm
But wet weight 186 kg (410 lb)!

And That gauge:

Perhaps the coolest looking digital gauge, and I have a weak spot for old school analoge gauges (like on the CB and NineT)

And I've read it has a USB connection and some minor storage space all under that seat :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Goededag van een ex-Belgische inwoner (lived outside Leuven for over 5 years). Excuse my awful Dutch too.

The BMW is an awesome bike and you wouldn't be disappointed to own it. Just make sure to get the heated grips for rides in the cool Belgian days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx for the warm hearted welcome greetings :)

bedankt voor de verwelkomingen ;)
Generaal, vanwaar ben jij in België?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey,

Welcome, the RNineT is great to ride with. The Beemer isn't cheap, but gives you a great satisfaction.
I have my bike from the beginning of september and I don't have any regrets.

I'm from Belgium too, not so far from Ghent.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dank je allen nog een keer voor de verwelkomingen, blijkbaar nogal wat Belgen/Vlamingen hier.

Ikzelf ben dus uit Gent zelf..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
heb trouwens eens een kleine fotobewerking gedaan, met een dual brake light vanachter, vind dat persoonlijk apart en ook het mooiste dan wat er zoal kant en klaar te verkrijgen is van tidy tails.

Are there any peeps here by any chance that have this kind of set up or thinking of this dual tail light option?

Thx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Duo-light looks great with duo-seat.
I will change the plateholder and rearlight in the beginning of next year. This will be done by "MotoKouture".

Grtz,

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
have you already made the modification? pictures? :)

I am still kinda curious...

Meanwhile I bought a bike, had it since december 2015.
Its a Honda.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welkom Riko, groeten van je noorderbuurman(Nederland).
Waarom is je keuze uiteindelijk toch een Honda geworden?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welkom Riko, groeten van je noorderbuurman(Nederland).
Waarom is je keuze uiteindelijk toch een Honda geworden?
Bedankt :)

Ik was al een tijd lid hoor, ik wou in het verleden van dichterbij kennismaken met de BMW.

de BMW's waren zeldzaam, maar deze specifieke Honda is nog zeldzamer.

En vooral, de BMW's zijn te duur als je ze al vindt.
En toen ik dan deze zeldzame EX model vond voor 10000 euro met amper 2000km, wist ik dat ik niet moest twijfelen.

En ook vind ik de Honda net dat ietsje mooier qua design vlak.
De vorm van de tank, de analoge en digitale tellers.
Dubbele uitlaten, ik hou van symmetrie. :)

Gezien ik sowieso een topkoffer nodig had, vond ik de Honda ook netjes met diens fabrieksrekje erop.

En dan nog die 4 cilinder, wat een zacht, soepel, linear blok is me dat. :wub:

Enige nadelen tov de BMW zijn dat de BMW een cardanas heeft, wat handig is qua onderhoud natuurlijk.
(hoewel een cardan lelijk zou staan op de Honda)
En ook het geluid van de BMW lijkt mij net iets ruwer te zijn, hoewel ik niet echt klaag van de Honda.

En puur qua power, pk en koppel, heeft de BMW er meer.
Maar voor mij is de Honda perfect, en die heeft ook veel koppel onderaan ter beschikking, dus dat is niet echt een nadeel voor mij.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Klinkt alsof je nu precies de motor hebt die je wilt dat is waar het uiteindelijk om gaat.
Ik ken het gevoel, ik wilde eerst een Harley 48 of een Ducati Monster 1200, maar toch werd het een BMW R NineT. Als je weet wat je wilt dan moet je ervoor gaan.

Die kleur van je tank vind ik echt super mooi, heel diep metallic rood lijkt het :cool2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honda staat ook niet voor niets bekend als Big Red. ;)

Thx, het was eigenlijk al van bij het begin 1 van de weinige droommoto's die ik had.
Maar de BMW heeft het me wel knap lastig gemaakt :)

Ik heb eergisteren of gisteren een NineT gezien in Gent, rond de watersportbaan en ik vermoed zelfs dat het een dame was die reed.

Zijn er hier vrouwelijke Belgische NineT rijders? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts