BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Over the last few weeks I've been modifying some soft pannier bags and mounting hardware to enable the bike to have 2 matching bags on either side.

The bags are XA32 from Motea - I figured 32 Litres per bag was more than enough as I had some Mosko Moto bags on my old KTM and they were perfect. The bags themself are a direct copy of the Kriega OS32 bags, and I've very surprised at how well they're made.

The frames on the bike are SW Motech SLC (HTA.07.512.11000) - small and unobtrusive enough to be left on the bike full time. I also used the SW Motech Sysbag adapter plates and mounting hardware (SYS.00.002.10000R & SYS.00.002.10000L). THe adapter plates didn't fit on the exhaust side as the silencer was in the way, but luckily I also bought some 25mm x 25mm 5mm thick alloy plate that was intended to fit inside the bags to give a good clamp on them. I just raised the mounting hardware up 50 or 60mm to clear the exhaust and used the SW Motech plates on the inside.

The mounting plates

Wood Gas Automotive exterior Tints and shades Space

I punched suitably sized holes on the bags with a very sharp leather punch, with a plank of wood inside to protect the bags.

Camouflage Product Military camouflage Textile Sleeve

Hood Automotive design Grille Textile Automotive lighting

Mounting hardware installed inside and out.

Engineering Machine Space Wood Office equipment

Hood Automotive lighting Flash photography Motor vehicle Automotive design

And I fixed a piece of 1.5mm alloy plate to act as a heat shield from the exhaust.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Auto part Machine Engineering

Material property Packing materials Wood Gadget Gas

I'm going to get the plated powder coated satin black and I'm also waiting on replacement indicators with longer wires. I'll need to make or source a bracket for them as well. Once that's all done I'll get some pics of them fitted to the bike.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I intend to do the same to adapt my Magadan panniers to SW Motech frames. I never carry pillion passengers so I can afford to mount them slightly more forward than the standard 13 litre bags.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Very good job. I also have SLC system (legends SW motech). But I want bigger bags.

I was thinking about 25L motea side bags and use sysbag adapter 10L motech. I think all them work properly. Neither exhaust nor rear indicators need to be relocated...

I suppose I also will need a thick alloy plate to put inside/outside bag??? (It will depend on exact position) to get stronger attachment.

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts