BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

TL;DR
My bike died in traffic and won’t start. Attached is a photo I took of the indicator display after the bike died. Do you know what it means? Is my battery discharged?

Long explanation:
I recently purchased my 2017 R nineT Pure from a dealer in Fort Collins, Colorado and had it shipped via Haul Bikes to San Francisco. It was serviced at 600 miles by the owner and again at 1,200 miles by the dealer who sold me the bike.

It took about a month for the bike to arrive from Colorado.

I’ve only had it a couple weeks, and ridden it 3-4 times.

Tonight after work I took it out and it died on me in traffic while waiting on a left turn. I thought maybe I had let out the clutch and it choked/died, but when I pulled the clutch in and hit the power switch, the engine wouldn’t turn over. I spent several minutes trying to start it, and eventually had to walk it out of traffic and park it curbside. I spent another 10 minutes trying to get it to start, but no go.

I’m assuming the battery died. I consulted the owner’s manual, and from what I can tell, it seems like the indicator display is saying “faulty bulb”, which doesn’t make sense.

I’ve attached the relevant manual pages for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
That certainly sounds like and looks like an electrical issue with a failed battery being a very real possibility. I'd put a voltmeter on it (positive under the seat, negative to a ground) and see what number you get. Depending somewhat on the battery, it should read around 12.7 volts. A two year old bike with so few miles may well have had a very neglected battery that was charged just enough to get it to start. But only just enough. And this is prior to it sitting for a month in transit. While you've ridden it a bit, it can take a fair amount of miles to charge a marginal battery.

If the voltage looks fine, I'd consider leaning into the warranty (I assume it's still covered) and let a local BMW shop take a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That certainly sounds like and looks like an electrical issue with a failed battery being a very real possibility. I'd put a voltmeter on it (positive under the seat, negative to a ground) and see what number you get. Depending somewhat on the battery, it should read around 12.7 volts. A two year old bike with so few miles may well have had a very neglected battery that was charged just enough to get it to start. But only just enough. And this is prior to it sitting for a month in transit. While you've ridden it a bit, it can take a fair amount of miles to charge a marginal battery.

If the voltage looks fine, I'd consider leaning into the warranty (I assume it's still covered) and let a local BMW shop take a look.
Thanks much! Appreciate the advice :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
the stock batteries don't last that long, the battery in my 2016 R9T started getting pretty weak this year. If it was sitting around not being ridden and in transit/storage without a tender, it's highly likely the battery isn't holding a decent charge anymore.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the stock batteries don't last that long, the battery in my 2016 R9T started getting pretty weak this year. If it was sitting around not being ridden and in transit/storage without a tender, it's highly likely the battery isn't holding a decent charge anymore.
That’s helpful! Thank you for that context.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Have you checked the clutch and side stand safety switches? try bypassing them, they can fail and the clutch one can stick so you could fiddle with it.
If the static voltage in the battery is 12.6v or so it may be ok, best to load test it though, but if the bike won't turn over you're a bit stuck there..

·
Registered
129 Posts
If it's just the battery needing replacement (fingers crossed for you), consider buying some aux lights and having them installed at the same time (and crash bars), they will need to lift or remove the tank to replace the battery and you can mount lights to crash bars, it looks sick. Might as well get some more bang for the buck if you are having the dealer work on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My old man always said he'd never buy us any toys that used batteries ;), fickle things batteries.

Ok, did you stall it? Did it even click or even try a pathetic crank?
From experience I would say it's the battery voltage being too low, first indication of a week battery is the ABS light either not going out or coming on when least expected.

Now to the reason why the battery voltage is too low? Either the bike has been standing still too long and needs a full charge using a good charger that can analyze the battery state and even indicate if the battery is totaly "fubar" , or a good long ride to give it a decent charge, make sure though you take the long ride with some friends so you don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

I have an older R1100S and its a battery gobbler, for reasons that all 1100S owners know too well. I've had it die on me a couple of times due to battery failure.
Also had a K1200 that did the same, when the battery voltage was too low the abs light came on, gives you the shits thinking the abs system is bust and it will cost an arm n a leg.

Problem with these bikes, you can't bump start em when the battery's shot, the electronics need a certain voltage and if it's not there then you won't get it to start how ever much you puff n pant.
BMW canbus :(!

My advice, buy a good charger,give it a good charge, then if that fails buy a new battery and if it doesn't solve it you'll at least have a reserve, not even an hour's labour costs.
This is the cheapest first & best line of troubleshooting instead of ripping the bike apart to try and find an earth leak or whatever could be causing a drain, lack of running charge.
If these basic measures don't help you'll need some someone that knows what they're doing in auto-electrics.
Good luck.

For those that are paranoid and worry about the battery giving up there's a kit to expose the starter connections for older boxers, think it's Wunderlich that has it. I considered it the last time my S let me down, you can connect an external electrical supply without having to pull half the bike apart to get at the battery poles.

I also have a Yam super 10 and the battery died on me last winter, even though I'd had it on trickle charge.
I jumped started it using a car battery then bought a new battery and no trouble after that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
YUP YUP YUP! and my Urban GS left me sitting at a gas pump today. You would think that the OEM battery would last a little more than two years and give some warning that its gonna crap out. NOT! Its part of the charm, Road side assistance could have towed it no charge but the new battery would have been twice the price of comparable aftermarket and would have to be ordered. Just plan on a two year battery replacement service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts