BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW R9T Pure
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, first time posting. My 2020 BMW R9T Pure will not start and I need some help. The bike was in a accident back in August, not much damage done to the bike. Quick rundown, Engine covers took most of the damage (engine itself undamaged), Replaced with Xray Engine Covers, one ignition plug was changed due to getting stuck in the port and breaking off. Bike has no airbox, using DNA air pods from Pier City. Oil was replaced using "Liqui Moly 15W-50". Battery was swapped with an "Anti-Gravity XPS SC-1" (This was done before the accident and bike would start fine). Taillight, headlight, rear turn signals currently removed due to damage from accident. Battery is fully charged and lead all look fine.

1)Insert Key, turn to "ON" position
2) Light all turn on, ABS and ACS lights flashing, General warning light coming up, for missing headlight, tail, ect...
3) Engine-Kill switch off, Kick-Stand Up
4) Press engine start button, Loud click (sounds like its coming from under the seat, entire dash lights turn off for a split second and comes back on, engine not turning over.

Any issues what the problem could be?

·
Registered
45 Posts
No other warning displays, other than the lights?
It sounds like the started may be engaging, but not turning. My first instinct would be to hook up a different battery if you have one, to see if the battery is causing the issue. If not the battery it could be the starter itself.

·
Registered
2020 BMW R9T Pure
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No other warning displays, other than the lights?
It sounds like the started may be engaging, but not turning. My first instinct would be to hook up a different battery if you have one, to see if the battery is causing the issue. If not the battery it could be the starter itself.
I do have the OEM battery I'll definitely try giving that a go. I don't understand how it would turn the bike over before, but not now.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sounds a lot like a battery that doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter over. Anti-Gravity batteries are pretty powerful, and hold their charge for a very long time, but they are more fragile than a standard AGM and it may have gotten damaged in the crash. One or two cells would be enough to power the dash lights, especially since the headlight and tail light are removed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
  • a click means that the solenoid/switch is engaging the starter pinion with the flywheel
  • "silence" after the "click" generally means that the battery has no juice to turnover the motor
  • does the motor turnover if you put it in gear and rotate the rear wheel?
if it does not then the problem is larger than just a dead battery
- what message does the GS911 give you?

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
219 Posts
With all lights and instruments going out for a second do you let up on button to come back on or do you have to turn switch off then on? I would check all grounds and battery connections. Do you have a volt meter? check voltage

·
Registered
2018 R Nine T Racer
237 Posts
Like already said, check the battery under load.

A full battery is no guarantee that your bike will start.
Hook up a meter to the battery and check how much the voltage drops.

It has to read 12 volt minimum before you try to start the bike, if the voltage drops beneath 9 volt while pressing the start button, you need a new battery

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts