BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
That is what is known as microblisters.

The usual causes are moisture or excess solvent trapped in/under the paint, which is trying to escape.....amongst other possible causes.

This happens if something is painted in damp conditions, unsuitable thinner is used, or the paint isn't left long enough to 'flash off' between coats.

Do you know if that is the original factory paintwork, or has it been resprayed at some point?

Here is some more info >>

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure it's the original paint.

It's an 2018 R nine t Urban G/S, BMW premium occasion with another 22 months of warranty.
So this would be a spray fault from the factory?.. i just noticed there's tiny blisters around the larger ones.

I dont know if this was already present when i got the bike 2 months ago.. i lifted the tank up yesterday for some wiring work and noticed the blisters.

Already searched the internet for the same problem on the R nine t range.. but did not find a single thing?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If it's still under warranty @Chris I'd suggest getting it back to the dealer for a claim, as it's deffo a defect under the paint.

When you had the tank up did you notice any grittyness or overspray on the underside of the tank, suggesting it has been refinished?

It's not that common, but vehicle manufacturers (especially cars) sometimes do minor paint repairs to chips or scratches caused on the production line......unfortunately not every brand new vehicle has perfect unmolested virgin paintwork when it leaves the factory.

If your bike was bought used, it could have been the dealer used a local paintshop to refinish the tank before putting it on sale if it had any blemishes, but without personally inspecting the tank, I wouldn't be able to say if the paint was factory or not.

As I suggested........go back to the dealer asap......that is only going to get worse, not better.........and the only remedy would be to strip off the paint back to metal and refinish......but I'd personally push for a brand new tank, not a new paint job.

Reactions: Chris.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not look at grittyness / overspray, will take a look the next time the tank is up, probably already went past BMW by then.. but will keep you updated.

So far my dealer was very relaxed.. already had a problem with Moisture in the headlight/counter unit.. and they replaced both without questions... no clue if any of this is related to the tank?

Thank you for the advice, will search contact with the BMW dealer.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes, please keep us updated about the situation.

Fingers crossed that your dealer is understanding as before and sorts it for you hassle free @Chris.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on the situation;

They ordered a new tank, will get mounted soon.
Germany took the problem seriously ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts