BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
BMW RNT Classic; Tuono 1000 R
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this is a long shot, but has anyone tried to mate the swanky BMW Machined Cylinder Head Covers (Part # 77122448369) specifically with the Wunderlich crash bars? It's a tight fit and I'm wondering if they are larger than the OEM's.

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
I do currently have the Wunderlich guard. Longer bolts and spacers were/are part of the normal installation process, but you've made me aware of this optional kit that I didn't know existed. I'm hesitant to open the box with the heads, so not sure if they will fit or not. I didn't think this through prior to the purchase. This may be a needed solution other than removing the guards. Thank you very much!

Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
The description says the kit has been made exactly to fit extra-large covers. It shall add 14 mm per side (shall be a bit more than half an inch) of extra space, take a pic when you're done!

Reactions: Wolfhaus

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
I realize this is a long shot, but has anyone tried to mate the swanky BMW Machined Cylinder Head Covers (Part # 77122448369) specifically with the Wunderlich crash bars? It's a tight fit and I'm wondering if they are larger than the OEM's.
The other day I was researching this as well and stumbled with the attached photo. I downloaded it at the time but can't remember from where I got it. It appears (I underline appears) to be showing Wunderlich bars with the BMW Machined covers AND without the above spacer kit. Note that the Wunderlich site recommends the spacer kit to be used with the Wunderlich aluminium head protector covers which do indeed widen the head considerably.

Yesterday I ordered the Unitgarage bars, which I find to be the ones that will look the most stock as they get installed in a very clever way. Those bars will also cause no interference with any valve covers.

I'm planning on getting the Machined valve covers, as they are on 50% sale at the moment (~790鈧 at my dealer's) but as it is still a lot of dough, I'm hesitant...

Attachments

Registered
2016 RNineT Classic
@Wolfhaus : I鈥檓 so glad that you鈥檙e aware to not use the hammer in the garage... 馃槈
All others: please follow the manufacturer鈥檚 instructions at all costs, esp. when it comes to the spacer issue. Probably even contact Wunderlich.
If not, this might happen: After removing crash bar screw, all oil has flowed to...

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
@Wolfhaus : I鈥檓 so glad that you鈥檙e aware to not use the hammer in the garage... 馃槈
All others: please follow the manufacturer鈥檚 instructions at all costs, esp. when it comes to the spacer issue. Probably even contact Wunderlich.
If not, this might happen: After removing crash bar screw, all oil has flowed to...
Yep. I measured the threaded hole in question and it is 31mm deep, which means that if one tries to insert anything longer than 30mm in there, one will pierce the crankcase. I actually plugged those holes with two M10x30 bolts to protect the threads from dirt and corrosion. Finger-tight only, BTW. So, good advice is, measure the bolts you plan to put in there so that absolutely no more than 30mm of it goes in.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
The other day I was researching this as well and stumbled with the attached photo. I downloaded it at the time but can't remember from where I got it. It appears (I underline appears) to be showing Wunderlich bars with the BMW Machined covers AND without the above spacer kit. Note that the Wunderlich site recommends the spacer kit to be used with the Wunderlich aluminium head protector covers which do indeed widen the head considerably.

Yesterday I ordered the Unitgarage bars, which I find to be the ones that will look the most stock as they get installed in a very clever way. Those bars will also cause no interference with any valve covers.

I'm planning on getting the Machined valve covers, as they are on 50% sale at the moment (~790鈧 at my dealer's) but as it is still a lot of dough, I'm hesitant...

View attachment 136798
View attachment 136800
Thank you for the info. Mine is the black standard/classic vrs the Urban pictured, so there is that. I did contact Wunderlich and they didn't "think" it would fit, but hadn't tried it, so were not sure. Surprisingly they didn't mention the extension kit Alligator made me aware of. So what I did prior to opening the head box is order the extension kit. If the heads fit right off, I will return the unopened extension kit (or look for it on super sale in a forum near you) . Lord knows I've bought enough from Wunderlich for them to take a unused return. If not, I'll try the extension kit. If that doesn't work, I'm screwed and will go bar less. Unlike some, I do like the look of the protectors. Good news is I installed the breast plate this am. Read about it in the forum and worried a bit it would be a hassle. Turns out for me it was a piece of cake.... "if" you happen to have a 1/4 flexible shaft bit extension. This is probably a $5 part. All I needed to do was lower the radiator (2 screws). No need to raise the fuel tank, etc...just used a needle nose plier to help line up the bit to the screw then hit it with a ratchet. This was a 30 min deal from start to finish for me :). Yea I bit on the 1/2 price parts deal going. I happened to have a grand fall into my pocket (good ole flex spending) and just freak'in did it. Can tell already it's going to look awesome. Hey a pretty girl needs a nice dress! Can't thank the forum enough, will let you know how it turns out.

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
The 50% sale makes me wonder... Perhaps they are moving boxes before they get discontinued due to incompatibility with the 2021 nineT? Saying this because the new stock valve covers are different so maybe this is a get it while they last and then gone.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
The 50% sale makes me wonder... Perhaps they are moving boxes before they get discontinued due to incompatibility with the 2021 nineT? Saying this because the new stock valve covers are different so maybe this is a get it while they last and then gone.
Not sure. I do think they've had this same sale in the past. I'm more of the mind set retail was exceedingly overpriced and perhaps they were sitting on too large a stockpile. Discontinued or not, accessories have to be "somewhat" affordable. Understandable why there is hemming and hawing on this stuff even at 1/2 price. Guess time will tell!

Registered
I just read 50% off sale , can someone tell me more about this sale 馃榾 who鈥檚 having it and on which parts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
I just read 50% off sale , can someone tell me more about this sale 馃榾 who鈥檚 having it and on which parts
Not sure elsewhere, but in my (USA) case, BMW Motorrad is running the special on their web-site under accessories / design. You choose to have it drop shipped to a local dealer for no shipping (I used their drop down box), or they charge shipping if you want it delivered to your house. I just checked and they as well as other parts are still on sale. Heads 43% off, Breastplate 52% off. Oil filler neck lid, 55% off. etc...

Registered
Haha that is true but if I don鈥檛 get to date Margot Robbie then I should get my discount with BMW as some sort or sweetener 馃榾

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
Haha that is true but if I don鈥檛 get to date Margot Robbie then I should get my discount with BMW as some sort or sweetener 馃榾
Seems more than fair to me!

Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
Here in Portugal I ended up biting the bullet today: new machined heads and belt cover coming my way. On top of the 50% by BMW, the dealer made me another 15%. It seems to me they are trying to get rid of them. Suspect incompatible with MY21? Or maybe a new machined line or their dropping altogether as it's a sort of a competitor to their own Option 719 line. Either way, I'm really happy now that I did not buy those parts at full RRP in 2018 when I bought the bike and lustily looked at them. A Unitgarage crashbar set is also coming, I wouldn't dare ride the thing without protection for those heads.
As spares, the heads are still listed as normal price, meaning if you bugger one today, it'll be the same price to replace a single one or buy the full set!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts