BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

Excited to be on this forum, and even more excited that I'm getting close to be a R NineT owner.

I have a question regarding the choice of the bike: I currently have the option to choose between a used 2016 R NineT with only 37 miles on it (yes, 37! the guy just bought the bike and never rode it, checked by a dealership), or a new 2019 R NineT that would be sold to me as a demo bike. The price difference is roughly $3k, so I'm wondering if it's really worth spending that extra money to get a newer bike. I understand that the 2019 demo bike will come with 3yrs + 6months factory warranty, however I also know that the bike is extremely reliable and friends of mine who own the bike or have had it in the past say I should definitely go for the 2016 one and save the $ for parts.

What's everyone's take on that, would love to get your opinions!

Thank you!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
The biggest things you'll notice between the bikes is the gauges, the adjustable front suspension and the black swing arm. With the money saved on the 2016 you can easily paint its swingarm black if it matters to you and you can get better suspension. You won't be able to put the newer gauges on the older bike. The other consideration is purely about finances. If you are financing the new bike might be the better option as used motorcycle interest rates are usually really high, while new with good credit can be fairly decent. So all things being equal if you're buying cash, get the 2016, otherwise double and triple check interest rates and go for whichever is cheaper after all interest is paid.

·
Registered
107 Posts
One additional consideration is if the dealer is offering any favorable financing rates on the 2019, assuming you're to finance. That could matter across the length of the loan and make that $3k difference significantly smaller. In December BMW was offering 1.9% on used bikes and I think it's 3.99% now. Or, does that 2019 pricing they gave you include any other current promo discount? That was one trick I have been seeing lately with advertised pricing. Full warranty + 6 months is nice though. Be sure the 2016 is priced at or below current KBB values so you don't go in under water on the older bike. I just bought a 2015 after mulling similar things that you are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi y'all,

Excited to be on this forum, and even more excited that I'm getting close to be a R NineT owner.

I have a question regarding the choice of the bike: I currently have the option to choose between a used 2016 R NineT with only 37 miles on it (yes, 37! the guy just bought the bike and never rode it, checked by a dealership), or a new 2019 R NineT that would be sold to me as a demo bike. The price difference is roughly $3k, so I'm wondering if it's really worth spending that extra money to get a newer bike. I understand that the 2019 demo bike will come with 3yrs + 6months factory warranty, however I also know that the bike is extremely reliable and friends of mine who own the bike or have had it in the past say I should definitely go for the 2016 one and save the $ for parts.

What's everyone's take on that, would love to get your opinions!

Thank you!!
Go for the 16 if it’s the one you want. It’s been idle for 3 years I would have a dealer check it out for seals, old gas issues, battery etc. if all checks out use the 3 grand for for an Ohlin, tidy tail, synto levers, clearwaters or whatever you like. Has the registration been kept current?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey y'all,

Thanks so much for all your information!
I forgot to mention that I'd buy cash, and regarding the suspension and gauges - I agree. I'd like to replace the gauges for the motogadget ones anyways, and I guess that I can always upgrade the suspension at a later point.

I will make sure that the dealer has checked the bike thoroughly, as far as I know they've already done an oil change so far.

Was wondering what the KBB value is you mentioned?

Sounds like I'm going to go with the 2016 and save the difference for parts and upgrades!
Thanks a lot everyone, super helpful!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes they do. I was just stating that abs is great to have. My EBR didn't have it but it did have traction control. I would have rather have had the abs.

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
I'd go for the '16 model and spend the rest on A tail tidy, Suspension upgrade, tubeless conversion and a Bren Tune.

Yea all R nineT models have ABS.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess in the end, all things considered because there really such minor feature differences between the model years, I too am inclined to vote for the 2016 and use the saved money to change the things you probably would have anyway on the 2019. And, what is really a brand new 2016 at that. Hell, it's not even gone through the initial break-in period yet.

I guess that is what I did in buying my low mileage, semi-private sale 2015 Classic vs. the dealer sale 2017 (pre-owned) or 2019 (demo) Scrambler models I was really, really considering. My brain went with the Classic but my heart remains with the Scrambler. But I know I bought smarter and better with where I ended up and I'll be fine with the Classic. I couldn't bring myself to pay the dealer pricing. We weer close, but not close enough.

·
Registered
40 Posts
As long as you are not worried about resale value. But if you are like me you buy it to keep not sell! If you are the type of person that changes bikes every couple of years then buy the 19.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
definitely not considering resale value at this point. I'd love to customize it to my liking and keep riding it as long as possible with such a reliable engine..

thank y'all so much for your input, very much appreciated, I'll go take a look at the 2016 one tomorrow!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
With only 37 miles, definitely go for the 2016. I personally I don't like demo bikes because people like me and other riders ride those bikes hard in the short time that we're on the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keep in mind as well that the bikes' dimensions changed between the model years you're comparing. For example, with the start of the 2017 model year, the standard seat height rose from 785 mm (30.9 in.) to 803 mm (31.6 in.) on the nineT. There were also changes in wheelbase and rake and trail that some here say negatively changed the riding dynamics.

You might consider riding both back-to-back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys,

I did it and went with the 2016, it’s mine now!! Felt so good to ride it home, the offer was too good!
So far I loved everything and I have absolutely no concerns as to why I should have spent 3k more, after all this is not a bike I’m planning to sell anytime soon!

There’s one more thingI’d love all your input on:
The dealer staff I bought it from went out of their way to try and sell me a 2 year mechanical warranty for the bike, so any engine-related issues that could arise would be covered. The ask was $1,499 for it, but since I paid cash they offered to lower it to $999. Needless to say, that offer was only valid yesterday (the day I bought the bike), because then they knew that the bike was in perfect condition. After a long forth and back, and them assuring me that I have 30 days to cancel the policy, I took their offer. I thought I would ask y’all with a lot more experience with the R NineT, if you thing that this warranty is in any way needed!? I talked to a friend of mine who’s very good with motorcycles, and he thinks I should cancel it again, arguing that the R NineT engine is one of the most finessed and reliable engines out there, and he just doesn’t see it fail in any way, unless you’re extremely out of luck.

What are you thoughts!? Should I call in to cancel it tomorrow? I’m kind of leaning towards that, I can’t shake the feeling that this was just sales talk/pressure.

Please let me know, thanks a lot in advance!!

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts