BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Lovely bike, and congratulations.

I'm assuming you'd have got a 12 month warranty as a minimum, having bought from a dealer? Personally, I'd probably have passed if that's the case; if not, I'd be wondering why I wasn't offered a dealer warranty with the bike.

Oh, I know a few other riders with 9Ts and none of us have had any problems of which I'm aware.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Great man, looks just like mine, I did the same thing last summer.
I am sure my choice tu buy the first original Roadster classic was good, just like you. Also had some money left for upgrades that will make this bike unique and your own.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Well engineered bike that’s very reliable.
Me, personally? I would cancel and take a chance.

With insurance you really need to read the small print to see exactly what you are covered (Or not!) for.
Cheers,Ken.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,633 Posts
First of all congratulations!

If it gives YOU peace of mind then it's just about worth it. I doubt anything will go wrong, but in fairness there are a lot of oil seals that may have hardened over years of inactivity and might give you grief. I have to say it's very unlikely that you'll get significant trouble that would cost more than the insurance policy. If it were me I'd not have bought the warranty, but I'd then have to accept the consequences if things did go wrong.

From memory the only big job would be if the rear main bearing oil seal lets go, then you have to split the bike in two (literally) to get to it. Occasionally the clutch will also need replaced at the same time if the oil leak contaminates it. These issues do happen to this engine though they are far from common.

Was there no standard warranty from the dealer on their bikes? If so for how long? Does the extended warranty kick in after the dealer warranty lapses, or does it include that time? Something to think about before leaving the extended warranty in place.

Your decision at the end of the day, there are no right or wrong answers on this, simply opinions. You have mine for what it's worth...

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMO I would cancel the policy. But like BaldyDave said if it gives you peace of mind then keep the policy. Read the fine print and make sure it covers gaskets and o rings. Also is it a BMW sponsored extended warranty or a third party extended warranty. If it's a third party extended warranty find out if it is excepted at other BMW dealers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks y’all! That’s just what I thought and what my friend has told me as well. I know that this insurance would qualify to get the bike repaired at the nearest BMW shop and it would have included gaskets, so that’s a plus. But since I wanted to save some money, I think it’s reasonable to cancel it, and save the $1k towards any potential future repairs. I’m not the classic BMW customer who needs to feel cared about with first class service. I do whatever work I can myself on the bike, and if it’s engine related I’m happy to take it somewhere.

Thanks again for the great input, looks like we’re all on the same page on this matter. My buddy also said, that unless you don’t feed the engine oil, it should run fine if you’re not completely out of luck!

I’ll be doing some changes to the bike within the next couple of months, like adding the motogadget motoscope, Akrapovic or AC Schniter slip-on exhaust, motodemic adaptive LED headlight, different handlebar with bar end mirrors, and eventually maybe Rizoma rearsets.

If anyone has some more recommendations or input on those upgrades, feel free to share, I value your opinions!

Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you plan on commuting and don't want to shell out $300 for a side bag and $200 for the mounts, I've been using this universal fit bag for my laptop and tire kit and recommend it whenever I see a new bike thread:

Fits my 15" MBP within it's own soft case with about enough room for a can of coke to spare. I've got a mini-inflator and plug kit in the small pouch that fits perfectly, too.

Congrats on the buy, get some engine bars.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
If you plan on commuting and don't want to shell out $300 for a side bag and $200 for the mounts, I've been using this universal fit bag for my laptop and tire kit and recommend it whenever I see a new bike thread:

Fits my 15" MBP within it's own soft case with about enough room for a can of coke to spare. I've got a mini-inflator and plug kit in the small pouch that fits perfectly, too.

Congrats on the buy, get some engine bars.
That’s a great bag! Does it attach easily to the 9T?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Hi y'all,

Excited to be on this forum, and even more excited that I'm getting close to be a R NineT owner.

I have a question regarding the choice of the bike: I currently have the option to choose between a used 2016 R NineT with only 37 miles on it (yes, 37! the guy just bought the bike and never rode it, checked by a dealership), or a new 2019 R NineT that would be sold to me as a demo bike. The price difference is roughly $3k, so I'm wondering if it's really worth spending that extra money to get a newer bike. I understand that the 2019 demo bike will come with 3yrs + 6months factory warranty, however I also know that the bike is extremely reliable and friends of mine who own the bike or have had it in the past say I should definitely go for the 2016 one and save the $ for parts.

What's everyone's take on that, would love to get your opinions!

Thank you!!
One more thought. Is this is a keeper or a short term bike? The 2019 will depreciate more but would still have a higher resell and be easier to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
One more thought. Is this is a keeper or a short term bike? The 2019 will depreciate more but would still have a higher resell and be easier to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
definitely a keeper, hence the 2016 instead of the 2019!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Beautiful! I'd put a black Dart flyscreen on it and be done with farkling.

Get out and ride it! You are falling behind!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi y'all,

Excited to be on this forum, and even more excited that I'm getting close to be a R NineT owner.

I have a question regarding the choice of the bike: I currently have the option to choose between a used 2016 R NineT with only 37 miles on it (yes, 37! the guy just bought the bike and never rode it, checked by a dealership), or a new 2019 R NineT that would be sold to me as a demo bike. The price difference is roughly $3k, so I'm wondering if it's really worth spending that extra money to get a newer bike. I understand that the 2019 demo bike will come with 3yrs + 6months factory warranty, however I also know that the bike is extremely reliable and friends of mine who own the bike or have had it in the past say I should definitely go for the 2016 one and save the $ for parts.

What's everyone's take on that, would love to get your opinions!

Thank you!!
Financing options aside, I am not sure you're going to find that much of a riding difference to warrant the up charge for the 2019. However, one thing to check is the ABS/Traction Control on the 2 models. I'm not sure but I think the 2016 didn't come with ABS/Traction Control which you may want if it comes standard on the 2019.

Performance wise, I do know the 2016 is very reliable. My daughter has one which she bought new and has never had an issue. She religiously maintains it in accordance to factory recommendations and as a result has been fault free over 30k miles.

·
Super Moderator
2014 BMW R NineT (Classic)
10,633 Posts
. However, one thing to check is the ABS/Traction Control on the 2 models. I'm not sure but I think the 2016 didn't come with ABS/Traction Control which you may want if it comes standard on the 2019.
All bikes, irrespective of age come as standard with ABS.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Keep a hawk-eye on the oil level and she’ll take you to the moon. Drop the warranty, spend the money on farkles an do dads. Much better way to spend a grand on a bullet proof bike. StayUpOn2

21 - 40 of 40 Posts