BMW NineT Forum banner

BMW R NineT vs 2013 BMW R1200R

75958 Views 73 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  saberr9t
The R1200R is a bike I've noticed that comes up quite often on the boards so i figured the community might benefit from a thread to compare the two. Now I may not be able to go into the technical aspects of both bikes like I know some of you can, but hey that why we're all here ;)

Lets start off visually. Found these pictures on ADV rider comparing the seat heights.

visually the R1200R has a bigger tail and a higher rise in the gas tank.

Here are the two bikes laid over each other

wheel bases are nearly identical, but i believe part of the tank rise on the R1200R is due to the telelever front end. From this picture you can tell that the NineT is unmistakably a BMW R bike underneath.

From what I understand the biggest difference between the R NineT and the R1200R is the NineTs inverted front forks and a telelever swing-arm setup. It will be curious to see how the NineT handles vs the R1200R.

Underneath the two are unmistakably similar.

R NineT

• Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
  • Capacity 1,170 ccm
  • Rated output 110 hp (81 kW) at 7,550 rpm
  • Max. torque 88 lb/ft (119 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
  • Compression 12.0 : 1
  • Fuel/100 km 4.5 L @ 90 KM/H
  • Fuel type Premium Unleaded
  • Frame four-section frame consisting of one front and three rear sections, load-bearing engine-gearbox unit, removable pillion frame for single ride use
  • Suspension travel 4.7 inches front / 4.7 inches rear (120 mm / 120 mm)
  • Steering head 64.5 °
  • Seat height 30.9 inches Standard

R1200R

• Bore x stroke 101 mm x 73 mm
  • Capacity 1,170 ccm
  • Rated output 109 hp (80 kW) at 7,500 rpm
  • Max. torque 85 lb/ft (115 Nm) at 6,000 rpm
  • Compression 12.0 : 1
  • Fuel/100 km 4.1L @ 90 KM/H
  • Fuel type Premium Unleaded
  • Frame Two-section frame consisting of front and rear sections with load-bearing engine-gearbox unit
  • Suspension travel 4.7 inches front / 5.5 inches rear (120 mm / 140 mm)
  • Steering head 62.9 °
  • Seat height 31.5 inches Standard

Go nuts!
See less See more
Reactions: 2
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
by the way, just compared 9T dimensions with MV Augusta Brutale 1090 (one of the best and reference naked city bike), and..... 9T is bigger:

wheel base:
9T - 1476 mm
Brutale - 1438 mm

full length:
9T - 2220 mm
Brutale - 2100 mm

so... 9T is not that small, althow, I was thinking that it is bigger untill Bose's pictures
I think in some photos the NineT looks smaller than it really is. Because comparing the dimensions its not really that small. Average really.

Could just be the design that makes it appear slimmer/smaller
From looking at all the pics, we have seen, and with Bose on the bike, as well as the gal, I think the bike is gonna be a good fit for me height wise, even though I have a stubby 29 inch inseam. The one MAJOR problem I had when sitting on the Ducati monsters, was comfortably getting my left foot under the gear lever. And, properly pushing down the rear brake. Chalk this up to being 63 years old, having achilles and knee surgeries (too many years of football, denying I was 5'9" tall). Having used that ergonomic website for comparisons, I don't believe I will have that problem with the Nine T. Of course, in my situation, the BMW dealer is also a Triumph dealer, so if I sit on the Nine T I have the deposit down on, and the Peg/control is problematical, I can always pick a Bonneville instead.
The problems with the pics is the use of wide angle.
The same pic taken from a larger distance with a 50mm or higher will give better proportions.
It looks like they added the Nine-T to cycle-ergo. A great site for comparing bikes.

Looks like less bend to the knees, but more lean and hip bend.
Reactions: 3
It looks like they added the Nine-T to cycle-ergo. A great site for comparing bikes.
wow, what a useful site. Didn't know it, thanks a lot for sharing this link !

Looks like less bend to the knees, but more lean and hip bend.
Awesome website, it turns out for me, being 5"10 with a 32" inseam I should be seated like this:

See less See more
Yeah, I really like that site. Makes it easy to find other bikes you might like for fit and comfort. For the Nine-T I will probably get a slightly taller handle bar that comes back a bit so I can sit mostly upright. 19 degrees of lean isn't too bad, but more pressure than I want on my wrists for longer rides.
size

Hi all
At the bike show sitting on the 1200r and the r9t not much difference .the tank is lower.i am 5'10 and it fits great .after sitting on latest sports bikes its big.not gs big but just right for heights from 5'7 to 6'4 .lastest sports bikes suit 5'2 to 5'5 heights..
Old aprilla rsv 1000 was a good size.
I'm sure there will be seat and bar options.
Reactions: 1
I need both

I have been riding my r12r quite a lot and just test rode the 9t for 90 minutes.

I´m so much into the 9t I was considering to trade. Now I´m screwed, I am not going to trade but need to figure out some way to afford myself a 9t.

Even if the differences are slight on paper, IMHO the r12r is WAY more comfortable. Not only the more upright position is less stressful on the wrists, back and neck, but it is also about the seat, the knees the mirrors and most of all heat radiation. My inner thighs were burning on the 9t, specially on the left side.

Having said that, a numb bottom, sore wrists and toasty thighs are no question an agreeable price to pay for such a beautiful ride. Can't wait to put my hands on the Berliner Monster to modify the holly c..p out of it.
... and most of all heat radiation. My inner thighs were burning on the 9t, specially on the left side.
man .... that must be some seriously overdeveloped (e.g. steroids) left thigh holding up your left ankle .... :eek: :eek:

here I'm trying in vain to soak up some warmth from the twins for winter riding, and you seem to be able to fry your eggs ?? are you sure you posted THAT comment on the correct forum? :p
I can feel a little warmth above my left ankle due to the exhaust pipe coming out on the left side of the bike.

But the heat I feel is insignificant compared to what I felt riding the Moto Guzzi Stelvio, which wraps both headers around the left side rather than underneath the engine.
man .... that must be some seriously overdeveloped (e.g. steroids) left thigh holding up your left ankle .... :eek: :eek:

here I'm trying in vain to soak up some warmth from the twins for winter riding, and you seem to be able to fry your eggs ?? are you sure you posted THAT comment on the correct forum? :p
Kidding me? I've chiseled thighs. That's life in the tropics mate.
I chose the R1200R due to comfort over long distance. She's not pretty but I love the way it rides. The R9T looks hot and feels like the gearing is shorter giving it more low down torque - but over long distances I find it gets uncomfortable. I do suffer from back problems mind you. It was a very hard decision - buy for looks or buy for comfort? I chose comfort....
I chose the R1200R due to comfort over long distance. She's not pretty but I love the way it rides. The R9T looks hot and feels like the gearing is shorter giving it more low down torque - but over long distances I find it gets uncomfortable. I do suffer from back problems mind you. It was a very hard decision - buy for looks or buy for comfort? I chose comfort....
I can understand that. The R1200R is more comfortable in several ways. For example, if you are riding two up, particularly tall, suffer from back or neck problems or carrying a lot of gear, I definitely think the R1200R is more comfortable.

When it's just me and the bike though without a pillion, gear, etc. I find the R9t much more comfortable because I'm better able to control it in corners and traffic.

At the end of the day, they are essentially the same bike set up for different riders and purposes. Can't go wrong either way in my book.
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.