BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
433 Posts
They should have made the engine like Moto Guzzi and pushed the foot control more forward.
Yup they should have abandoned their heritage engine format on their heritage style motorcycle. That would have made everyone happier. Shame that nobody is making a power cruiser with a Moto Guzzi style transverse V-Twin and drive shaft, you'd think at least one Italian company would have figured that out by now...

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Shame that nobody is making a power cruiser with a Moto Guzzi style transverse V-Twin and drive shaft, you'd think at least one Italian company would have figured that out by now...
Well I guess they figured that the Cruiser market is a dying segment and only existent in the USA.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
256 Posts
Here’s some pics from last Saturday.
Looking forward to see the bobber!

Only 91HP??
Cruisers don't normally have much hp. Torque is where it's at, to get the hugely heavy things moving, especially when riding 2-up. (Sorry if you were just kidding and I'm beating a dead horse! ;))

Just checked these figures out of curiosity, BMW's new 1800cc mill vs.Harley-Davidson's current "Milwaukee-Eight" 114 cubic inch engine (comparable to a 1868cc engine, so it's pretty close on engine displacement):
  • BMW R18 = 91 hp & 116 ft.-lbs. of torque
  • HD 114 = 90 hp & 119 ft.-lbs. of torque
Interesting to see foot boards on the R18 in your photos, which are great by the way! The demo I saw at my local dealership last week had footpegs. I can see the boards being the more popular option with many cruiser riders.

Also, in replying to Manyakus' comment above about placement of the footpegs, they can't really be moved forward any further, because the rider's toes would be touching the back of the cylinder heads. In fact, if you have very big feet, say size 12 US or larger, I'd worry a little about cylinder head clearance.

·
Premium Member
R Nine T Classic 2020
89 Posts
Local dealer also has one of these up on a pedestal in the waiting area. To my eye its a rather handsome and elegant bike, though keeping all the chrome clean would do my head in. The exposed engine casing is a beautiful focal point and the bike is generally clean and unencumbered by plastic, tubes and other such things that seem to festoom some new bikes. The fishtail exhaust is certainly polarising, and it seems to give the bike some level of individuality compared to other cruisers. Nice attention to detail on the clocks, reservior covers and the mod cons of combined LED indicators and lights on the rear, as well as LED main headlight, are also pleasing.

Not a bad first edition for a foray into the cruiser market whilst keeping some of that ol’ Bavarian heritage and individuality; good on you BMW Motorrad.

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
4,030 Posts
I'd be putting some red locktite on those badge torx screws though! o_O

·
Registered
63 Posts
I drove it last Saturday. It looks very nice but it’s to heavy to my opinion. I prefer the nimbleness if my NineT. I suppose for cruising it’s great however if I would spend that kind of money I would buy an k1600b. I would spend at least an extra €5000 to make the r18 to my liking and all in all it’s to much money for a bike that’s a cruiser that looks good but doesn’t do much more.

·
Registered
R1200 NineT Urban GS
154 Posts
It must have a very restricted target buyers set. It's heavy, I have doubts it handles easily, expensive, big... if I had a lot more money than I do, it could probably be in my garage to be used twice a year.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
256 Posts
To my eye its a rather handsome and elegant bike, though keeping all the chrome clean would do my head in.
Yes!! I've never understood the allure of chrome plating everything on a bike. It's hard to keep clean, and I'd rather spend my time riding my motorcycle than polishing.it. It's not that looks don't matter to me, but when a bike is a pain to keep clean (and keep from rusting) the looks aren't worth the trouble to me.

That being said, the chrome on the new R18 does look nice, and not overdone like on some cruisers.

·
Registered
2020 R Nine T Pure
46 Posts
plenty of customization options on the base bike when available... black or chrome V&H pipes, lots of RolandSands stuff

·
Registered
320 Posts
Looks pretty good - apart from the silencers!
The bike is a work of art except for the silencers and the plastic thingy covering the air-box.
The Roland Sands version has better looking silencers.
I hear that even a minimal lean will cause the foot-pegs to ground, guess it's ride is a straight line locomotive!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I attended BMW day in Port Clinton, PA last week.
They had 4 or 5 R18's available.
When you sit on the bike, as soon as you lean just a bit off center, you are well aware of the weight of those massive cylinders.
Over a very generous test ride, very strong motor, felt a lot of vibration, and I scraped the pegs twice very prematurely.
Great looking bike, but quite different, not for the Twisties, a definite cruiser
I selected the ROCK driving mode

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Pure
256 Posts
agreed....the muffler is god awful.
I respectfully disagree. The mufflers are kind of cartoonish in my opinion, but also stylish and a definite homage to custom cruisers of the past. But I bet they weigh a ton, and won't be cheap to replace since there are two of them, and they're massive.

As for overall weight of the bike, I don't think folks who buy big cruisers care one bit about how much they weigh...until they have to pick one up by themselves. ;)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts