BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
HI all,

I got the rear cowl and figured it would/will be a pretty straightforward install. However, some doubts have cropped up.

The dealer did not provide me with the dvd so I don't have instructions.

So I think it is just a matter of:

1- screw on the leather pad (four screws) onto the plastic piece.
2- Remove pillion seat
3- Remove leather strap (two screws)
4 - Fit cowl
5- Fix cowl in place with the passenger seat screw
- Done.

However, the kit is supplied with a wiry metallic piece that's eluding me. Is this part of what keeps the cowl in place ? I mean number 12 in the picture below.

I've watched a video of someone installing the cowl but didn't see the elusive wiry bit in said video.

Thanks in advance !

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,033 Posts
Hi mate, I added an attachment to your original post as a lot of web browsers will not show the embedded image, this is since the forum went secure recently.

My 2014 bike never had the clip that is shown so this must be an addition to perhaps help with stabilising the front of the seat hump.

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
462 Posts
My 2014 bike never had the clip that is shown so this must be an addition to perhaps help with stabilising the front of the seat hump.
There are two versions of the hump. The newer version includes that little retainer wire and the peg that holds the backrest shut is reversed for some reason.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the input, especially kr1s. That makes a lot of sense, and I guess they revised it since I've read a few people worry that the only fixation point was back there and the thing wobbled a bit. Not sure how much of an improvement that will be but I'm ready to install it now.

Especially after having had to ride down to the dealer to loosen the seat screw. Guys at the shop were too eager tightening it with a screwdriver with a lot more lever action than the puny key thingie they give you.

Cowl and sw motech carrier to be installed, pics to follow where appropriate!

PS - Dave, duly noted, I'll start adding pictures as attachments going forward.

·
Registered
310 Posts
anyone know the part number for the wire thing? Oddly enough my 2017 doesnt have it and it's always annoyed me with it moving around

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done ! Thanks once again for the helpful input. Install was easy, and the retainer makes a lot of sense once in place.

Wanted to also install the sw motech SLC carrier and crg bar end mirrors but I don't have a spanner for the pretty-but-annoyingly-big screw on the bar ends and right side of the rear frame. Bah!

Pics or it didn't happen:
https://ibb.co/mNNGzd

·
Registered
2020 BMW RnineT Roaster w/ 719 Brushed Aluminium Tank w/o Weld
10 Posts
Thought I'd just comment, as I just did mine today, but the rubber supports that (I guess) get pushed through the gaps on the side of the wire, in the image above it appears they are upside down. When I ordered mine from BMW they were already installed with the thick part of the support facing upwards, with the little tail facing downwards towards the screw.
No idea if correct, but thought I'd mention it just in case... because why they don't include the assembly/install instructions is beyond me!

·
Registered
2011 R1200RT - 2015 RNineT
201 Posts
I use a black zip tie through each of the two rubber grommets that the seat back goes into, around each seat support. My hump isn’t going anywhere....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 RNINET
325 Posts
zip ties are probably better than the wire piece for sure. They do need something more than single rear bolt hold down. When I purchased my classic I ordered hump at same time. The dealer installed it and also installed the wire piece in- correctly. I had to reverse this because it tended to knock rubber isolators out of place

1 - 14 of 14 Posts