BMW NineT Forum banner

321 - 340 of 356 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just did a bunch of the standard mods. Charcoal can delete, flapper delete and battery replacement and finally a booster plug. After the flapper delete the engine had much less engine braking and it seemed to make shifting much easier and smoother. Pulled the tank and replaced the battery (getting noticeably worse)... and put on the booster plug. Took it for a test spin and the notch/snatch in a slow turn at bottom end of 2nd gear is basically gone. Bike seems to idle stronger and has lost the occasional pop from being lean, which by the way worsened after the flapper delete. It is certainly no race tune, but I am no racer. For a casual rider looking for smoother and easier to drive, I’d say it is perfect. I considered a Bren tune and just didn’t think I’d be a Real user of all the power. No doubt it’s the way to go and I may at some time in the future make the plunge. For now the mods have made a huge improvement in how my bike drives and my enjoyment.

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
Nice work @elwood! If you haven't already got a build thread set up I'd seriously consider it if I were you. This is the stuff the forum members like to read and the builds section gets well visited for this reason. In the Booster plug section this info is certainly valuable, but as it is a very focussed threads your handiwork won't get the visits it deserves.

Also I spy another boxer in your garage! Care to tell us about that in another thread in the correct section? From what I can see it looks great!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Boosterplug

Anyone with experience of the Boosterplug??

I saw this and read the free booklet (42 pages).. It was very interesting and a must read if you want to understand the modern FI bike.... I also searched on Google and Youtube and it seems the people using it are satisfied.

I'm tempted to try one...

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms...tion_book.html

Your comments / feedback??

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wynand, do a search for West Coast Parts.
They have a shop in Table View.
Roodt imports the BoosterPlug

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
Anyone with experience of the Boosterplug??

I saw this and read the free booklet (42 pages).. It was very interesting and a must read if you want to understand the modern FI bike.... I also searched on Google and Youtube and it seems the people using it are satisfied.

I'm tempted to try one...

https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms...tion_book.html

Your comments / feedback??
OOPS, someone didn't do a forum search before posting.... ;) There's actually a MASSIVE thread discussing the booterplug, and I've moved your post there. I definitely recommend the BP, made a positive difference to my bike. Not as good as an ECU remap but it does partially solve the poor fuelling caused by emissions rules. For the money I think it's good, though this device definitely divides opinion on this forum. Enjoy the read, make sure you are sitting comfortably... ;) :wavetowel2:

Reactions: Mattup

·
Registered
204 Posts
OOPS, someone didn't do a forum search before posting.... ;) There's actually a MASSIVE thread discussing the booterplug, and I've moved your post there. I definitely recommend the BP, made a positive difference to my bike. Not as good as an ECU remap but it does partially solve the poor fuelling caused by emissions rules. For the money I think it's good, though this device definitely divides opinion on this forum. Enjoy the read, make sure you are sitting comfortably... ;) :wavetowel2:
Sorry! Thanks!!

Reactions: BaldyDave

·
Registered
380 Posts
Has this been proven or is it still opinion? I have read a LOT of posts on these and other options here in quarantine today but have yet to find a solid answer.

2014-2016 engines: Booster Plug - short term, ecu adapts and degrades benefit.

I like the idea for my 2015 but not if it's a temporary fix and the effects are negated over time by the EUC compensating for what the BP is trying to do.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been reading what i can re this topic, and any number of owners going back some years have found the Booster Plug type of gadget, essentially a resistor to alter the perceived air temp, loses it's effect after a few tankfuls of fuel. The item sold as af xied or whatever it's called is said my long term owners to be a lasting mod. The australian dollar is in the S bend at the moment, when it recovers i will be buying two of these, one for my r9t and one for my 1200adv. In 1100 and 1150 bikes a quality chip inserted into the ECU was the solution, i miss that simplicity.

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
Respectfully disagree with @vagueout

I had a boosterplug fitted for a couple of years and it made a permanent and beneficial change to the throttle response and "rideability" of the bike.

Its a little more than just a resistor too, but resistance is at the core of it's operation.

But no it hasn't been absolutely proven, unless you ask the makers of boosterplug themselves of course. I personally never regretted getting one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Respectfully disagree with @vagueout

I had a boosterplug fitted for a couple of years and it made a permanent and beneficial change to the throttle response and "rideability" of the bike.

Its a little more than just a resistor too, but resistance is at the core of it's operation.

But no it hasn't been absolutely proven, unless you ask the makers of boosterplug themselves of course. I personally never regretted getting one.
Thank you for this response. I have spent a large part of the last two days reading threads, probably skimming a hundred plus associated thread pages, on this and other forume, some solid info on both sides of this debate. Read the BP folks detailed responseto this issue, and plenty on the con side. What has been consistant is your first hand experience and positive continued support for these which honesly might be the only thing keeping me in the game here. What is most frustrating is that after all that there is just no gavel down hard proof if they do or do not negate from ECU compensation.

It's equally bad trying to get a feel for the plug and play effectivness of the Power Commander V using a downloadable map vs having to then get some dyno work done too which is impractical in my area.

With the new cost of this BP unit vs the current Power Commander sale price at not much more the PCV seems like a better option because of it's greater flexibility but who knows.

Sometimes no answer is the answer and best to walk away.

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
Yes the PCV does offer more flexibility, and is configurable. The beauty of the BP is that its "fit it and forget it".

There are also the Rapid Bike units which seem to get good reviews too....

Possibly a good approach would be to buy a Booster Plug pre-owned at a decent price, and if you don't like it, you could simply sell it on at a similar price, or just take the lower hit to your wallet.

Reactions: nervous

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re the Booster Plug, i have not tried one myself so any opinion i proffer is essentially a repeat of someone else' opinion. I put faith in the opinions of "Steptoe" regular poster on UKGSER and ADVRIDER, he's not just another poster on a forum but the owner operator of an independent BMW workshop in the UK. His experience on his own bike and that of customers is that the ECU re-tweeks itself. Having 2 cam head BMW's at the moment, i too am looking for a fuelling improvement and eagerly read anyone else' experience. :unsure:

·
Registered
150 Posts
My experience with the BP on my 2007 R1200R:

When you first put the booster plug on, stand next to your bike on its first cold start so you can smell the exhaust. You will smell the distinct odor of unburned fuel from a rich mixture, until the bike warms up enough for closed-loop operation. The throttle will feel smoother, the lean spots will be gone or greatly reduced.

After two tanks of fuel, stand next to the bike during a cold start. You won't smell the unburned fuel anymore. In my case, any perceived benefits were just wishful thinking at that point. I respect that others have had a different experience.

Modern bikes spend most of their time in closed loop operation, even during typical part-throttle acceleration. In closed loop, Lambda is something close to "1" or perhaps a little leaner. Unless you spoof the O2 sensors, fit a piggyback ECU or reprogram the native ECU, it's going to eventually "learn."

If you take the BP off after the bike has "learned," it will run like crap initially, which validates many people's faith in the BP. But if you reset the ECU with a GS911 or equivalent tool, or just drive it for a couple of tankfuls, you'll be back to stock.

On my 2014 GSW, I installed an AF-XIED kit to spoof the o2 sensors. That worked very nicely, and was not defeated by the ECU. AF-XiED O2 Sensor Manipulators

Just my experience.

·
Administrator
11,531 Posts
Well @nervous there you go, still as clear as mud! LOL ;)

Of course the best approach is a proper ECU remap but that carries a price tag.

I respect everyone's opinions here, we are all entitled to our say.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well @nervous there you go, still as clear as mud! LOL ;)

Of course the best approach is a proper ECU remap but that carries a price tag.

I respect everyone's opinions here, we are all entitled to our say.
I know! Excatly as these things continue to go. Again, not looking for performance, just the correction of the factor lean that has a lasting impact. That said, I have some options I guess. 1) Leave well enough alone and stay stock. 2) As you mentioned, wait for a used BP to show up. Probably the preferred way. 3) Buy the on sale PCV, at least in not too deep. 4) go AF-XiED but at close to $400 not sure that's something I am thrilled with.

I probably won't go full re-map at this point.

·
Registered
RNineT 2017
30 Posts
I know! Excatly as these things continue to go. Again, not looking for performance, just the correction of the factor lean that has a lasting impact. That said, I have some options I guess. 1) Leave well enough alone and stay stock. 2) As you mentioned, wait for a used BP to show up. Probably the preferred way. 3) Buy the on sale PCV, at least in not too deep. 4) go AF-XiED but at close to $400 not sure that's something I am thrilled with.

I probably won't go full re-map at this point.
Hey nervous, I've had a BP installed and found it did improve the throttle smoothness for a time. I used to have an issue with bike stalling when pulling away from lights, very rare occurrence but it was definitely the bike not user error ;) , though BP solved the issue but like others, felt the ecu learned and compensated after a few months. I upgraded the exhaust to full titanium Akro so decided to go full Power Commander and removed the BP. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have a Booster Plug on my 2017 R9T Roadster. Since it was there when I bought the bike used with ~12,000km on it I cannot compare the before and after. What I can conclusively say it that at very low throttle openings there is zero hesitancy or 'snatchiness' in throttle operation, which is important to me as I have a somewhat dodgy entry to access my garage. Previous boxer twins - and I have had many - usually suffered some slight less-than-smooth running at these low throttle openings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey nervous, I've had a BP installed and found it did improve the throttle smoothness for a time. I used to have an issue with bike stalling when pulling away from lights, very rare occurrence but it was definitely the bike not user error ;) , though BP solved the issue but like others, felt the ecu learned and compensated after a few months. I upgraded the exhaust to full titanium Akro so decided to go full Power Commander and removed the BP. I have it somewhere if you want to give it a go, would rather see it in use than sitting on a shelf. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the info and offer but I have actually found a used on a month or so back and it's been installed for a while. Funny this thread comes up as I was out riding today as was wondering if it was still functioning! :) I actually think it is.

I will be curious about your Power Commander experience though as there is not a lot that I can find on that tool.

·
Registered
RNineT 2017
30 Posts
I know what you mean when it comes to "wondering if it was still functioning", it gets into your mind and is one other reason why I went to the Power Commander. The PC is a great piece of kit and a must imho if you're doing a full exhaust refit. I ran a Euro 4 Akro on the stock headers (with cat) and it was fine. Them I got the full Ti Headers but once you decat and remove flapper the fueling (expectantly) gets messed up. PC with pro install has made the bike perfect. There's a lovely 4000rpm roll off pop (not backfire) that happens, sooo addictive. Anyway, It's only really needed in you do the full job. I did look a option to do full ECU remap but jsut seems messy considering BMW Service could and probably would overwrite it during servicing.

Options for fuelling as I see it:
1. Live with the scratchiness
2. Fit Booster Plug and wait for the paranoia usually after 2 months.
3. Buy Power Commander and get it fitted professionally, gives you the option to run any set up.
4 Get ECU remap and hope BMW don't overwrite.
:LOL:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know what you mean when it comes to "wondering if it was still functioning", it gets into your mind and is one other reason why I went to the Power Commander. The PC is a great piece of kit and a must imho if you're doing a full exhaust refit. I ran a Euro 4 Akro on the stock headers (with cat) and it was fine. Them I got the full Ti Headers but once you decat and remove flapper the fueling (expectantly) gets messed up. PC with pro install has made the bike perfect. There's a lovely 4000rpm roll off pop (not backfire) that happens, sooo addictive. Anyway, It's only really needed in you do the full job. I did look a option to do full ECU remap but jsut seems messy considering BMW Service could and probably would overwrite it during servicing.

Options for fuelling as I see it:
1. Live with the scratchiness
2. Fit Booster Plug and wait for the paranoia usually after 2 months.
3. Buy Power Commander and get it fitted professionally, gives you the option to run any set up.
4 Get ECU remap and hope BMW don't overwrite.
:LOL:
Hi Derekbra, sorry for this intrusion I have sent you a PM.

321 - 340 of 356 Posts