BMW NineT Forum banner

Boosterplug (or Accelerator etc.) - ECU adapts, seems it is useless

16K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Camshifter 
#1 · (Edited)
At first, I must ask moderators: please do not merge this post with other looooong Boosterplug thread.
Because nobody would not read 300 posts --- I did not read it and basically I got fooled too.

Shortly - ECU adapts constantly and probably makes Boosterplug (or other alternative AIT foolers) useless.

When I first installed my Accelerator, I did feel difference. I don't know, was it real or was it just fantasy.
Anyway, in few days I went away, so I opened my 9T again and I added 3-position switch to it, so I can switch three positions --- standard, AIT thru Accelerator or AIT disconnected.

And I didn't feel any difference when I switched Accelerator on or off. Not even smallest difference at all (I did different switching, live and ignition off/on etc.)

Then I installed OBD2 reader GoPoint BT1A into OBD2 connector, so I see in real time:
1) Intake air temp, RPM etc.
2) Short Term Fuel Trim 1 and 2
3) Long Term Fuel Trim 1 and 2

Live switching engine running shows intake air temp:
1) standard: 30 C
2) thru Accelerator: 13 C
3) no AIT (wire open): -11C (minus eleven!)

In added screenshots @3500 rpm you see that Short Fuel Trim is around -3% "bigger" when Accelerator is switched on (intake air temp is 13C)
So ECU sees right away that mixture is too rich and its correcting it.
I tried it with different RPMs and pattern is similar.

I can't reset adaptions, but I will drive it few days without Accelerator, so I should see change in Long Fuel Trim. At moment its probably adapted with Accelerator, thats why I don't feel any difference.
I did some test runs today and seems that "too lean" is adapted fast to keep engine running without stalling and "too rich" is adapted slowly. I don't know logic of adaption, but sure thing is that it is adapting according to (narrow) O2 sensors.

I keep you posted...

PS. Its good post about this issue:
http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/engine-technical-discussion/60386-boosterplug-9t-discussion-opinions-23.html#post598185

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
There is a reason the other booster plug thread is so long. here are 2 camps - one that thinks the booster plug is great and works, and the other that thinks it's snake oil (i.e. totally useless).

I'm in the former camp. Had it for 2 years and still marvel at how smooth the throttle response is as compared to stock.

Respectfully, I don't think this will convince anyone that the booster plug is useless, it will just start the same old arguments. No offence! If it was rubbish I don't think it would have sold as well as it has.

One final thought, as you have a MY 2017 bike perhaps the ECU is smarter than previously and perhaps the BP isn't as effective..... Can't comment reliably on this as I don't have access to a 2017 bike. We need more owner responses with MY17 bikes before any conclusions might be drawn, though I suspect there won't be anything conclusive. Will keep an open mind though...

#8 · (Edited)
a) I'm in the former camp. Had it for 2 years and still marvel at how smooth the throttle response is as compared to stock.

b) Respectfully, I don't think this will convince anyone that the booster plug is useless, it will just start the same old arguments. No offence! If it was rubbish I don't think it would have sold as well as it has.

c) One final thought, as you have a MY 2017 bike perhaps the ECU is smarter than previously and perhaps the BP isn't as effective..... Can't comment reliably on this as I don't have access to a 2017 bike. We need more owner responses with MY17 bikes before any conclusions might be drawn, though I suspect there won't be anything conclusive. Will keep an open mind though...
a) Of course, its your experience. Though, if you could make same kind of switch and if you feel smoothness right away when switching it, it will be good fact to know.

b) I purchased Boosterplug for my Ducati Scrambler, it should arrive shortly and I will make same kind of switch there too. Ducatis throttle is like on/off switch at moment, so I hope it smoothens it out (and keeps it that way as well). Again, I don't want to convince anyone about useless, just sharing about my experience --- maybe it helps somebody. Its interesting stuff for me, so I will investigate it little.
I have Accelerator on my MY16 R1200R as well and no effect at all. I will put it to my MY14 R1200GSA, lets see what it does there --- I will measure readings before and after as well. If its learning, then I should feel difference at least right after installing it.

c) Air Temp sensor reading is faked, this is a fact (eg. Plug works like it says). Adaptive learning is from 1984, its a fact.
But sure, maybe MY17 (so Euro 4 standards) is even "better learner" to get better emissions.
For example, you cannot just disconnect flapper valve cables, you get error on MY17 because it measures no resistance for motor. (Same thing was on my MY16 Ducati XDiavel, flapper valve motor expects some resistance from valve and I got error on dash).

Just disconnected battery plus and all adapted values were reset. So I can test it :)

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
Subscribed. Although I have been happy with the booster plug I have also spent months tuning a 2017 Grom and I am about to start the process on a SR400. The learning experience with the Grom makes me very interested the OP's observations, especially after viewing the video in the linked post.

One final thought, the OP has a 2017 which is built to tighter emissions standards than my bike. With the Grom I spent six weeks of frustration with different injectors and maps that were all supposed to work just fine according to the manufactures and tuning experts. They didn't as the 17's had some changes to meet the tighter emissions standards. I just happened to be the first person to stumble into it. BMW may have also made some changes on the 2017s that improve the closed loop and impact the booster plug installation.

#9 ·
.... BMW may have also made some changes on the 2017s that improve the closed loop and impact the booster plug installation.
Yep, seems that it reads O2 sensor all the time to make corrections --- and as developer I know that I would do that in the same way, it makes sense.

#4 ·
BP doesn't work in the long-term. As being a long time advocate of the BP I have had to do a 180 on the product. There is conclusive evidence that the ECU adapts the fueling based on long-term data readings from O2 sensors. Sorry, but it is what it is. Rather go for AF-Xied of flash the ECU.

Reactions: Mr. Thompson
#6 ·
Have a look at the Rexxer tune and handheld device, I'm quite happy with the tune and with the handheld I can reflash to the OEM or custom tune anytime. Lots of folks report good results from Hilltop in the U.K. as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I have the booster plug installed for over 16 months (9000km with BP) and the battery has never been disconnected.
Catless header and flapper removed first. Ran without the BP for 2 months after the installation.
Bike is 2016 Euro 3 version.

Very small opening of the throttle is still better with BP then without the BP. The throttle feels smoother at small openings.

I can blip the throttle at idle without stalling the motor.

Bike does not backfire and pop as much with the BP.

Bike still smells richer with the BP than without.

So you be the judge, did the BP work as it was marketed?

#11 ·
Did a test ride after resetting adaptions.

First, bike did not start properly. I had to open throttle to keep it running.
After short driving it stalled on take-off at traffic lights. Lets say that throttle was little bit jerky and it does not want to rev nicely.
Drove around 15 minutes and bike behaved normally, still throttle was little jerky.

Switched Accelerator (or Boosterplug) ON when on idle.
And it worked right away, throttle was smooth and bike was revving well.
Even torque seemed to improved on acceleration.

After some driving, throttle was not this smooth anymore, but it wasn't jerky like before too.
Switching Accelerator ON or OFF doesn't made any feelable difference.
I drove it ON for a while and OFF for a while and it was exactly the same.

I did not had more time at moment, but surely it was adapting and it uses some long term adaption values.
Its easy to experience how Boosterplug is working (for a minute at least), just need disconnect one red wire from terminal under seat for a second.

I keep testing :)

#13 ·
Made another tests today.

Did reset adaptions (battery plus off) and disconnected O2 sensors (so ECU cannot adapt anything).
What happened was that ECU changed Long Term Fuel Trim values to 4% more rich than adapted values with O2 sensor, Short Term values stayed zero because no adaptions possible.
And engine was running not very well, when it was cold then it stalled many times when idle.
Accelerator (Boosterplug) switching ON/OFF does not made any change, so seems that when O2 sensors are off, then ECU uses pre-set fuel maps without using Air Temp Sensor at all.

I drove around for a while and overall feeling was that engine was not running well at all, so I plugged O2 sensors in again.
It was much-much better, but Accelerator (Boosterplug) switching ON/OFF does not made any change, because mixture was already rich enough from driving around without O2 sensors.

So, my experience at moment is that Accelerator (Boosterplug) gives biggest effect when bike has Long Term adapted lean values and plug is just connected. After a while this effect is reduced that much that its hard to tell difference, at least MY2017. Same scenario happened with my R1200R MY2016

#15 ·
My experience is similar to OP (but without the actual data). On my Ducati Scrambler, it worked very well from the start and even better with the aftermarket pipe (cat removed). It smoothed out the very jerky throttle fairly well and gave the bike a nice low sound with better torque right through the rev range definitely improving the rid eexperience. I was happy with that!

So I bought one for my MY2015 R9T. I have an akrapovic pipe with original headers and i noticed that the bike seemed to run a bit poorer with the BP installed. More popping on decel (which I don't really like) and a slightly stumbly idle. Never stalled or anything, but didn't seem as smooth as before the BP. So i removed it and am about to get a refund - no questions asked.

I'm not sure if it's the cold weather here (it worked better on my Ducati when it was hot) that causes the BP to makes the intake temp read very low and the ECU then runs the engine very rich? Anyway, I'm happy with how the bike runs with no BP. If anything changes in summer, the dealer said I could give it another try.

#16 ·
... On my Ducati Scrambler, it worked very well from the start and even better with the aftermarket pipe (cat removed). It smoothed out the very jerky throttle fairly well and gave the bike a nice low sound with better torque right through the rev range definitely improving the rid eexperience. I was happy with that!
Very soon I get my BP for Ducati Scrambler --- so then lets see, Ducati is not very advanced bike (its more raw lets say :) ) compared to BMW, so maybe it does not adapt. Especially Scrambler, its cheaper bike.
But for XDiavel S, it worked well.

For 9T, I running a test now:
1) I have reset adaptions
2) Will drive it for few hunderd kms BP switched off (so that each 100 rpm gets right Fule Trim adaption value, seems that Fuel Trim adaption table is by 100rpm steps). So at this point everything must be right for this engine and fuel mixture leaner then I like.
3) Will disconnect O2 sensors
4) Will switch BP on
...and if bike takes BP in account without O2 sensors, then it should be good configuration :)

#17 ·
Well it's as I predicted, two camps - one converts and the other sceptics.... Now remind me why I shouldn't merge this thread with the megga flapper thread? :)

#19 ·
Another point is should you consider accelerator and BP equal??? I'm an electronic engineer and I compared both modules, they are not the same at all... BP is very consistent but I'm not convinced that accelerator is... you should verify the AIT temp while running to be sure you are still 20 degrees below actual.

iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
I have both too, measurements show that they are basically same.
Yes, if you look screenshots above, ECU shows (and sees) about 18C lower temp.
Problem is that ECU adapts because it corrects Fuel Trim Map values based on O2 sensors, so BP effect fades mostly away in one hour of driving.
After several tests, seems that minor effect stays, so "maybe" it is little bit better with BP then without.

#25 ·
Markan,

Here is 112 pages of data from when we had this same endless debate on the BMW GS section of Adventure Rider. It is chock full of GS-911 plots, as well as narrowband lambda signals being manipulated by various devices.

2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

I suspect Baldy Dave wants to avoid 112 pages of inconclusive debate replicated here, but this is a well-trodden path. In a nutshell, older bikes like the R1150 series spent more time in open loop mode, but as emissions have tightened the bikes need to be able to stay at lambda=1 (closed loop) through more of their operating profile, to include moderate acceleration at lower revs. That's why the newer engines have rougher fueling around town, generally speaking.

To verify, you can do a simple log of throttle position, engine RPM, and lambda function and ride the bike. The GS-911 records those values as a function of time, and delivers a graph showing you exactly what load caused the bike to go into open loop.

Our various "feelings" about how spoofing temperature might have an effect on a fuel injection system are spot-on accurate for a 1988 K75S, but they are way, way out of date.

Srdačne Pozdrave, Tomislav

Attachments

#26 ·
Markan,

Here is 112 pages of data from when we had this same endless debate on the BMW GS section of Adventure Rider. It is chock full of GS-911 plots, as well as narrowband lambda signals being manipulated by various devices.

2004 R1150RT Wideband O2 Sensor Project (and AF-XIED for BMW)

I suspect Baldy Dave wants to avoid 112 pages of inconclusive debate replicated here, but this is a well-trodden path. In a nutshell, older bikes like the R1150 series spent more time in open loop mode, but as emissions have tightened the bikes need to be able to stay at lambda=1 (closed loop) through more of their operating profile, to include moderate acceleration at lower revs. That's why the newer engines have rougher fueling around town, generally speaking.

To verify, you can do a simple log of throttle position, engine RPM, and lambda function and ride the bike. The GS-911 records those values as a function of time, and delivers a graph showing you exactly what load caused the bike to go into open loop.

Our various "feelings" about how spoofing temperature might have an effect on a fuel injection system are spot-on accurate for a 1988 K75S, but they are way, way out of date.

Srdačne Pozdrave, Tomislav
Tomislav,

Are you saying BP made specific for BMW R nine T 2014 bike, has no effect and the bike is never in open loop operation at all? Because if this is true, I would get this data and write to BP creator him self to ask him about this.

What you saying is that all those people who felt the effects of BP on 2014 9T Roadsters just imagine this?

#29 ·
You all do realize this thread will be a never-ending bun fight.... ;)

Just like an oil thread, BP opinions will cause healthy debate. I was happy with my BP others weren't, I can accept that.

I doubt that we will ever get to a point where there will be a universally accepted proof that the BP works or is rubbish.

But I am willing to be surprised! :)

#31 ·
this thread will be a never-ending bun fight....
Yup.....great innit!!!

Here's another angle to add to the debate....

I would suggest whether the BoosterPlug works for you, or not, may well depend on how YOU ride.

For example. if you rip around giving it the beans with big n fast throttle actions, then the bike will spend more time in open loop, where the BP can do it's job........but, if you tend to pootle around at low RPM using only the merest wiff of throttle percentage, then it's possible the bike will mainly stay in closed loop, making the BP effects hard to notice.

Make sense?

Reactions: Markan
#32 ·
Hello, i'am from Germany.
Very interesting Post. I own a R1250GS.
When i first installed the Boosterplug, the throttle response (on/off) was very smooth.
But after only 2000 KM the effekt was gone and i feel no improvement any more.
I want the wonderfull smoothness of the trottle back.....

Since yesterday i own a GS-911.
I cleared the adaption values (XBMSO1 Adaptions/Calibrations - Reset mixture).
After a test drive I found out that there was still no improvement with the BP...
Before i used the GS-911, i drove 10.000 KM stock again (without BP).

I found one error in the error memory:
"3A1571: LR adaptation, Bank1, mixture correction factor below threshold".
"This error has occurred 255 times".

What have I done wrong?
It seems that the R1250 electonic "learns" faster than the older ECU's.

Best regards
Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.