BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***DRAFT - awaiting someone to check the walkthrough***

PART 1 OF 2.

This is work in progress! Thanks to @Manyakus for his help in supplying the initial steps. Also to @JohnT for behind the scenes advice.

INTRODUCTION

This is the first part of a two part walk-through of installing a Bren ECU remap on the 9T (2014-2016 models). This first part takes you through reading the stock map and sending the data to Bren. The second part takes you through transferring the Bren maps to the handheld and then the ECU flash process. Enjoy!

PREREQUISITE

Ensure that the bike's battery is in good condition and in a good state of charge. The data transfer between bike and handheld can take some time and poor voltage can compromise the tuning process.

Step 1: Connect handheld to OBD

Step 2: Click tuning

Step 3: Click BMW motorrad

Step 4: Scroll down and click R Nine T 1200 109hp

Step 5: Handheld will ask you "Stock file missing, start to read the ECU?" Click YES

Step 6: Handheld will tell you "Key on and confirm" which means turn ignition key to on position on the R9T then click OK on handheld.

Step 7: Handheld will ask you "make a full size memory reading?" Click Yes

Step 8: Handheld will show "Reading in progress" This can take some time, approximately 30-40 minutes.

Step 9: Handheld will show "Saving data please wait"

Step 10: Handheld will show "Reading completed, switch ignition off and disconnect handheld"

Step 11: Install the windows software that BrenTunning sent you via email.

Step 12: Open software and connect handheld to PC via USB

Step 13: Wait till the software recognises the handheld, then click OK to close the message. Now select Download Data

Step 14: Save the data on your desktop and name it "FactoryECU"

Step 15: Send this file FactoryECU.usr to BrenTuning by email.

And this is the bit where you wait patiently for Bren to reply, though they replied the next day in my experience. From what I hear from others the reply is typically within 2 working days (possibly longer if there is a weekend in the way)... ;)

***DISCLAIMER**** This is an amateur take on installing a Bren Tune using their handheld device. The author and contributors to this article in no way represent Bren and the strong advice is to always use the instructions from Bren in priority to this article. Readers use this article at their own risk. The forum or anyone involved in the production of this article take no responsibility over any mishap to the motorcycle or rider following use of this article. If in any doubt over the tuning process, please ALWAYS take advice from Bren Tuning as they are the professionals, not us.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I can’t wait until he has a hand held for the 2017’s and beyond.
Amazing job Dave!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Dave thats incredible, I just purchased mine this morning before the offer expired, I was reading the instructions and Im already confused hahahah (I'm not very tech savvy), this will help me get it done !!

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Bren Handheld Tablet Tuning for the 9T (2014-2016) Part 2 of 2

Part 2 of 2

***DRAFT - awaiting someone to check the walkthrough***

PREREQUISITE: As in part 1, make sure your battery is in a good state of charge to minimise chances of any issues during the ECU flash process.

Part 2 of the Bren tuning DIY deals with the installing of the maps on the handheld tuner and the ECU map write process.

PROCEDURE:

Step 16: Once Bren receives your email they will reply and ask you some questions about your bike and what do you want as fuel maps.

Step 17: Reply to their questions.

Step 18: Bren will then send you the maps via email, save it to your desktop PC. The file will end with the "dat" file extension (data).

Step 19: Open the software same as step 12 and connect handheld. Wait for the handheld device to be recognised (takes a few seconds). Click OK.

Step 20: Now click on "upload data" and choose (browse to) the recently saved file.

Step 21: Handheld will say "Confirm the upload?" Click yes

The upload will start..

Step 22: Handheld will say "Data has been written" Click yes

Step 23: Disconnect handheld from PC and connect handheld to R9T

Step 24: Click Tuning

Step 25: Handheld will say "Continue with the writing of the file?" Click yes

Step 26: Your maps will appear on the handheld (up to 4 plus stock map)

Step 27: Pick one and Handheld will copy the map to your R9T Here I am selecting 98RON fuel with Engine Braking (98eb). In the UK we call this fuel Super Unleaded.

Step 28: Handheld will tell you "Key off an confirm". So turn Ignition key off and click confirm on the handheld

Step 29: Handheld will tell you "Key on and confirm". So turn Ignition key on and confirm on the handheld.

You'll then see the following screens as the write is set up...

During the map writing process all sorts of weird stuff happens! The bike's main beam came on and the instrument console lit up like a Christmas tree. The entire write process only takes a few minutes so it shouldn't hammer your battery.

Step 30: You will then be presented with a couple of ignition key off/on steps (can't remember if it's one or two sets ****can someone please confirm this?***

Step 31: Handheld will tell you "Full throttle, ignition on and click ok"

Step 32: Handheld will tell you "Keep full throttle and switch ignition off and click ok"

Step 33: Handheld will tell you "Release the throttle and click ok to continue"

Step 34: Handheld will tell you "Writing completed, switch ignition off and disconnect handheld"

Step 35: Go and ride your tuned motorcycle!

***DISCLAIMER**** This is an amateur take on installing a Bren Tune using their handheld device. The author and contributors to this article in no way represent Bren and the strong advice is to always use the instructions from Bren in priority to this article. Readers use this article at their own risk. The forum or anyone involved in the production of this article take no responsibility over any mishap to the motorcycle or rider following use of this article. If in any doubt over the tuning process, please ALWAYS take advice from Bren Tuning as they are the professionals, not us.

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Folks I'm just about finished with cataloging the tuning process, can anyone check this for me in case I've made any slip-ups?

Thank you!

Dave :)

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Folks I'm just about finished with cataloging the tuning process, can anyone check this for me in case I've made any slip-ups?

Thank you!

Dave /forum/images/NineTOwners_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Looks good to me Dave. Thanks for putting it together.

What are your thoughts on your new BrenTune? How does it compare the the booster plug you had?

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Looks good to me Dave. Thanks for putting it together.

What are your thoughts on your new BrenTune? How does it compare the the booster plug you had?

Can't wait for Dave experience too.

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave, stupid question but do we do this with the ignition on or off.
Thanks
It varies, sometimes you need to switch on the ignition key, at other times you have to turn the ignition key off. At NO TIME do you ever run the engine during the flash process... I suggest that you read through my walk-through and hopefully it should become clear. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
It varies, sometimes you need to switch on the ignition key, at other times you have to turn the ignition key off. At NO TIME do you ever run the engine during the flash process... I suggest that you read through my walk-through and hopefully it should become clear. :)
Thanks Dave, I needed to turn the ignition on. It threw me because I plugged it in with the ignition off and the tablet started up straight away so I thought being canbus maybe it didn’t require the ignition on. As soon as I turned the ignition on it progressed through the step I was stuck at. Thanks again Dave

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
It varies, sometimes you need to switch on the ignition key, at other times you have to turn the ignition key off. At NO TIME do you ever run the engine during the flash process... I suggest that you read through my walk-through and hopefully it should become clear. /forum/images/NineTOwners_2014/smilies/tango_face_smile.png
Thanks Dave, I needed to turn the ignition on. It threw me because I plugged it in with the ignition off and the tablet started up straight away so I thought being canbus maybe it didn’t require the ignition on. As soon as I turned the ignition on it progressed through the step I was stuck at. Thanks again Dave
Did you test ride her yet!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any Chance?

Any Chance Bren Tuning wants to cut a little break for a guy that visits this forum late and missed the Deal:D
As usual I show up late to the party... and really hate the notchy throttle in the parking lot. PM even if it's just a little discount for a forum member. Thanks....Chuck

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any Chance Bren Tuning wants to cut a little break for a guy that visits this forum late and missed the Deal:D

As usual I show up late to the party... and really hate the notchy throttle in the parking lot. PM even if it's just a little discount for a forum member. Thanks....Chuck

I suggest you contact Bren directly, and mention the forum. There’s no guarantee that they’ll do you a deal as they are not obliged to, but it’s worth a try. Unfortunately now the group discount is over no business can be conducted through the forum. Good luck! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
It will not completely solve the notchy throttle issue in parking lots. At best it cuts it in half which I feel is still an exaggeration.

Another option is to upgrade the throttle pulley I think it's called. There are a few threads already talking about it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
@Ellwood & all others who either missed the deal or passed on it...

I've been in touch with Bren about the 2017+ models. I passed on the group rate because I didn't want a one-time flash, I want a handheld. Bren has confirmed: "Still no handheld for the newer bikes. It's a work in progress, but no ETA as getting it to work is not a simple task. Wish it was." I am checking in with them every 2 months or so for updates. So...

When the 2017+ Handhelds come out, I suggest doing a push for a second group discount (with the same caveats that it is organized by individual users, not the forum). I can run point on that, no problem. I mentioned to them that I'd update the forum so that some of us (me included) won't be tempted to tune elsewhere if we really want Bren. With that, I'm optimistic they'll entertain the offer again.

Any more feedback 2014-16 folks can share about their handheld experiences on this thread would be great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts