BMW NineT Forum banner

BrenTuning 1200/R9T/BMSK ECU Reflash Kit

122K views 352 replies 60 participants last post by  birdman 
#1 ·
BrenTuning 1200/R9T/BMSK ECU Reflash Kit​

Signed up today with Motorcycle.com as a new Vendor here at NineTowners. As some of you may know us from other bikes, many years ago we've worked out all the performance mapping locations and restriction removals for the S1000RR BMSK ECU, which follows the same ECU Tuning strategy of the other BMW Motorrad Bikes including the R9T.

When the R9T was announced we put in our order for development and the rest is history. Below are the details and results we've found from the 1200 Boxer motor mapping, on a stock bike. Look forward to becoming an active part of this forum and sharing our engine R&D.

R9T/R1200 Tune details:

-Remap part/idle/tip-in/deceleration + full throttle lambda fueling targets. (The R9T in most cases runs a touch too lean stock).
-Remap part and full throttle timing for premium pump and race fuels (91+93+100+105+116).
-Remap desired load tables to supply a full power at high loads.
-Remap throttle torque tables to supply a full 100% open throttle operation at higher loads.
-Cat temp threshold fuel override for bikes with full exhaust (avoids failsafe fueling rich override).
-Adjust the rev limiter to proper limits for stock motor for large increase in top end power (or built motors can be set higher, adjustable).
-Adjust decal fueling / load.
-Set upper octane ignition limit to be able to adjust for higher race 91+93+100 fueling on the fly (unleaded oxygenated fuels).
-Torque limiters modified and adjusted for performance at all engine loads
-Up to +18HP gains found on a 100% stock R9T at 8000rpms, more with catalyst deleted exhaust system.

About the BrenTuning BMSK ECU Tuning process:

-Uses factory 02 sensors, no longer need to force bike into open loop for tuning, allows for better engine braking, fuel target optimization, and part throttle / idle driveability.
-Load based ECU has alot of fine tuning adjustment versus piggyback tuner when setup correctly. Fuel piggybacks and ignition modules will not defeat the cat temp override or per gear fueling and perform poorly off the dyno in real world conditions.
-Corrects the Checksum/Immobilizer that causes most tuners to brick ECUs.
-Undetectable methods of loading the file.
-Does not require Power Commander or Bazazz units - they can be removed.
Unlock the ignition and throttle limiters that plague these bikes with piggyback modules, especially at higher power levels.
-The ECU is diagnostically invisible by the dealer.
-Next day service, overnight if available / requested.
-ECU Tuning comes in 2 different variants: Mail in ECU to BrenTuning, and Handheld Flash at home unit (coming very soon). Pricing will be announced once our final vendorship goes through.

Dyno graph of 100% Stock R9T (OEM Akrapovic) tested same day with 93 octane.

Gains are over the whole curve, with lots of extra power on tap in the high RPMs at a safer fuel mixture. +18whp found at 8000rpms, once the throttle and ignition limitation is modified making a wider more powerful band.

Tuning applies to:
F SERIES F 650 GS 37kW/49HP ME9
F SERIES F 800 GS 63kW/85HP ME9
F SERIES F 800 GS 63kW/85HP ME9
HP2 SERIES 1.2L 8V MEGAMOTO 83kW/111HP ME9
HP2 SERIES 1.2L 8V SPORT 98kW/131HP ME9
K SERIES K 1200 R 120kW/161HP ME9
K SERIES K 1200 R 120kW/161HP ME9
K SERIES K 1200 S 123kW/165HP ME9
K SERIES K 1300 R 127kW/170HP ME9
K SERIES K 1300 S 129kW/173HP ME9
R SERIES R 1200 GS 77kW/103HP ME9
R SERIES R 1200 GS 77kW/103HP ME9
R SERIES R 1200 R 80kW/107HP ME9
R SERIES R 1200 RT 81kW/109HP ME9
R SERIES R 1200 S 90kW/127HP ME9
R SERIES R 9T 90kW/127HP ME9
S SERIES S 1000 RR/HP4 142kW/190HP ME9/ME9+

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Very interesting, can you give any insight to what your tune will do to MPG?
When cruising I'm usually around 4500 RPM's, low throttle position. How much of a change in the AFR in that range with your tune?

#5 ·
Most customers report about a 1-2mpg increase.

"BrenTuning 1200/R9T/BMSK ECU Reflash Kit"​

So will this be available as a reflash kit as the name suggests? and if so where do I sign?!

As soon as our vendor status is confirmed we will announce pricing.

But yes, the handheld will allow you to flash your bike in the comfort of your own home. It also holds your stock map in case you need to go in for dealer work, you can easily reflash the bike back to stock and go undetected.

Our other option is a more cost friendly route for the rider who isn't planning on running different fuels/adding more modifications. The ECU gets removed and shipped to us and we flash it in house.

#11 ·
How much?

Pricing will be released within the upcoming weeks. We want to get a full batch of handhelds in stock and make sure everything is 100% before taking orders.

No exchange program needed. Our turn around time is really quick, we can set it up for same day if needed with over night shipping at an extra cost.

Neil@BrenTuning

#13 ·
Hello everyone,

We are official here now.

Pricing on the R9T BMW BMSK BrenTuning Personal flash kit (+3 tuned maps of your choice and an original) will be $995 shipped. This includes tune-loading software, appropriate BMW cables and a cloud connection to us - your tuner! In this software we are able to share multiple tuned files along with your original (91 - race fuel - touring map - your choice). It will come in Windows or Droid format, and in the near future Iphone!

R9T BrenTuning ECU mail in flash (ECU removed and sent to our facility, returned same day) is $549 this summer with UPS ground included.

Thank you,

BT

#18 ·
Oh and can I also get a cat free header or is that pushing it? I just hear that getting rid of the CAT helps but then bike runs 'lean' and sometimes you get performance loss?

#22 ·
No flash limit.

As for the restrictions, it would most likely be the mapping in the ECU. I have yet to have a French ECU in hand/readout from a R9t yet to be 100% positive that there are no external limiters. I find it extremely doubtful they would go that route with the amount of technology in these ECU's.

Neil@BrenTuning

#25 ·
So a dealer applied software update would wipe the Bren flash. BMW often have DME updates... my GS had 3 in 6 years!

#32 ·
I too would be interested in feedback on someone who did this.

To the original OP, if a header mod was done, would it make sense to come in and get a custom flash done? If so, would that be the same price as the mail-in?

What about BMW software updates? Will the flash have to be redone?

#38 ·
Yes, if you bring it into BMW and let them reflash the ECU the tune would need to be reflashed. One of the selling points of the personal flasher is that you can put the OE map in and bring it to the dealer and they can update whatever they need. Once done you can go back to a tuned map.

As for custom dyno tuning, the cost would go up slightly to include dyno time.

Any news on the apple compatibility front?
Last I heard the Apple devices are about a month out.

Thanks... Still looking for a first hand review from an actual user.

Jason
Here's a post from another site, not sure if the owner is on here as well.

2014 BMW NineT. - Page 76 - ADVrider
Had a quick test ride with the Bren Tuned ECU today.

The map they use impoved the power and throttle response over the whole RPM range. The power starts lower and is even smoother. Pulls harder too.
My seat of the pants review. Bike feels better all over and makes it just funner to ride!
Very happy with the results.

Lovin' this bike.
Neil@BrenTuning

#36 ·
The cheap option is to install a boosterplug or the af-xied. I've got the af-xied on my bike along with remus headers and it's a much needed upgrade imo. This ecu tune likely gets a bit more out of the engine but it also costs a grand. Wunderlich reports that the headers paired with a a/f richening device bumps output by ~10hp and 10 lb/ft.

#41 ·
In all seriousness... I have done this same style upgrade to many different vehicles and have mixed results. on the 2014 Ford Raptor, after completing the stage 2 roush supercharger complete with headers and exhaust, I then did the flash and saw additional emprovment in performance in many different areas. However when we flashed the bone stock 2013 Lamborghini aventadure, all we saw was a $3,500 bill. So after getting burnt with this in the past, I would love some real world reviews.

Toys R Toys... its the memories that matter.

#44 · (Edited)
I must be the one guy

Quote:
Had a quick test ride with the Bren Tuned ECU today.

The map they use impoved the power and throttle response over the whole RPM range. The power starts lower and is even smoother. Pulls harder too.
My seat of the pants review. Bike feels better all over and makes it just funner to ride!
Very happy with the results.

That was me, I just joined the forum.
Love this tune, much much improved from stock.
I did the ECU mail-in, sameday turn around.

#45 ·
After much deliberation we have decided to run a promotion for the members here on ninetowners. We will cover the cost of a full tune as long the tunee agrees to supply a before and after dyno graphs and a comprehensive review on this site.

This is a one time offer for one free tune. Contact us via email if you would like to participate in this offering.

Neil@BrenTuning

#46 ·
i would if i did not have to send my ecu overseas

i have decided to get a before and after dyno done, and at a different ducati shop get a rexxer flash for remus full system. They (rexxer) have a ninet map and can store your stock map, for restoration.

Multiple dynos show hp at tire at around 100 in stock, so I have no idea what that other post linked here is reporting. Its probably best to get dynos done at a shop without a dog in the hunt ;) Anyway when i get it done will post results even if they show nothing.

#48 ·
We have a handheld already setup for those who either don't want to ship their ECU or want to easily flash back to stock.

This offer does not mean you have to be local and use our dyno. We can easily remote tune with our setup. This past week we were remote live tuning a S1000rr in southern California, and one in Bahrain another day. All from our shop in Massachusetts.

Neil@BrenTuning

#50 ·
With our MPF kit shown below, I wish this site had the ability to edit posts as I would add all that information to the first post so it wouldn't get lost.

We can support almost all fuel types, the lone one being E85 at the moment.

We have header back done and ready to go, this bike out in Chicago is running one of our maps with a headerback exhaust.

Neil@BrenTuning

Hello everyone,

We are official here now.

Pricing on the R9T BMW BMSK BrenTuning Personal flash kit (+3 tuned maps of your choice and an original) will be $1095 shipped. This includes tune-loading software, appropriate BMW cables and a cloud connection to us - your tuner! In this software we are able to share multiple tuned files along with your original (91 - race fuel - touring map - your choice). It will come in Windows or Droid format, and in the near future Iphone!

R9T BrenTuning ECU mail in flash (ECU removed and sent to our facility, returned same day) is $549 this summer with UPS ground included.

Thank you,

BT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.