BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 R Nine T Classic
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone did sell their BT handheld to another owner?
I do remember at some point in the forum where it was said it can be done but there is a transfer fee.
That was what I remembered when we bought the Handheld in the group buy back in 2018.
Does someone else has the same recollection?

Because looking at BrenTuning website today, they are stating that they don't do it anymore.

https://brentuningmoto.com/faqpost/can-i-sell-the-brentuning-handheld-tuner-to-a-different-user/

·
Premium Member
2016 R Nine T Classic
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I contacted BT, no reply. Switched to a different email address, he replied and said that there is a fee to unmarry the handheld from the VIN and that the new owner must pay a remapping fee.
I said ok lets do this.....no reply, even after 3 emails. When you call them it is the voicemail that answers you.

Very hard to get hold of BT when you need them. I really hate that feeling when you need to beg for support.
When I bought the unit back in 2018, BT said that unmarrying the handheld and transfer of ownership is super easy.

I need to return the bike before the end of next week, and if I am not able to unmarry the handheld then it is just going to the garbage bin since the dealership does not want it.

I wonder if other tuners can unmarry the handheld.

·
Registered
2016 R9T Sport
773 Posts
You simply unmarry it by returning the bike back to stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed you can re-flash the bike with the stock map - but will this unmarry the handheld?

I've got a BT tune myself with a couple of maps - and thought the maps were specific to the bike. They're VIN specific AFAIK.
@Manyakus wants to re-use/sell the handheld and I've still not heard a way you can do this.
Have you been able to do it?

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
645 Posts
Agreed you can re-flash the bike with the stock map - but will this unmarry the handheld?
This will not unmarry the device, it will just return the bike to stock. The device will continue to work with that VIN if it ever finds its way back to that specific bike and will be useless with any other bike.

Other tuners do sell the same device often branded with their own name or such. It may be a longshot and "professionally frowned upon" but I'd imagine someone else can unmarry it for you. There may also be some info out there somewhere on doing it yourself but I haven't searched for it.

·
Premium Member
2016 R Nine T Classic
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Ian_H
This is correct, putting the OEM fuel map back to the bike does not unmarry the device.
The tuner need to issue a certificate which will erase your VIN number from the device.
Then your device is unmarried from the bike but it is not unmarried from the tuner.
The device is still locked to the tuner.
If you want to use the device with another tuner then you need to flash it (format it).
This can be done from the main dealer (AlienTech) that sells the devices to the tuner.

Brentuning was not helpful at all as usual.
He wasn't replying to my emails or phone.
I had to ask these types of question to AlienTech (the dealer that sells the devices to tuners like BT)
At the end my bike was traded in without unmarrying my device because Mister BT was not answering me.

I got so fed-up with BT and his way how he deals with customers (not the first time he neglects customer support) that I wrote a bad Google review.
And guess what happened afterward? after 30 minutes from my bad google review he miraculously sends me an email saying that my review is not fair (bla bla bla). At the end he flags my review to google and my review disappears.

Some members had good experience with him and others just had horrible support.
My 2 cents: Pick wisely your tuner, you have been warned.
I know that for myself, I do regret doing business with him.
If I can do it again I would definitely choose another tuner.
I wouldn't event think twice...

·
Registered
2017 R nineT Classic
645 Posts
@Ian_H
This is correct, putting the OEM fuel map back to the bike does not unmarry the device.
The tuner need to issue a certificate which will erase your VIN number from the device.
Then your device is unmarried from the bike but it is not unmarried from the tuner.
The device is still locked to the tuner.
If you want to use the device with another tuner then you need to flash it (format it).
This can be done from the main dealer (AlienTech) that sells the devices to the tuner.

Brentuning was not helpful at all as usual.
He wasn't replying to my emails or phone.
I had to ask these types of question to AlienTech (the dealer that sells the devices to tuners like BT)
At the end my bike was traded in without unmarrying my device because Mister BT was not answering me.

I got so fed-up with BT and his way how he deals with customers (not the first time he neglects customer support) that I wrote a bad Google review.
And guess what happened afterward? after 30 minutes from my bad google review he miraculously sends me an email saying that my review is not fair (bla bla bla). At the end he flags my review to google and my review disappears.

Some members had good experience with him and others just had horrible support.
My 2 cents: Pick wisely your tuner, you have been warned.
I know that for myself, I do regret doing business with him.
If I can do it again I would definitely choose another tuner.
I wouldn't event think twice...
I had a similar experience and unfortunately that sort of vendor behavior seems all too common in enthusiast hobby communities. They get a strong following and usually have a very small business that lacks the resources to support the growing interest then sorta go radio silent or defensive. Don't mean to bash anyone, just a pattern I've seen too often.

Personally I had to do a bit of pestering via email to get myself a working tune and never got the promised second tune from the group buy. Fortunately for me the tune I do have works well and I will stick with it until/unless I decide to make further intake/exhaust changes. At that point I'd probably be willing to try to get another vendor to reuse my existing device unless they charge as much as a new one. Otherwise it will just go back to stock if it needs to be sold and I'm going to consider the device a loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts