BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brief Warning Light, reset odometer display - Caused by "brake-light open circuit"

My bike has been plagued with mysterious switching from Trip odometer to total mileage odometer for the last 1000 miles or so.
So instead of always displaying the trip odometer like I want it to, it constantly switched back (while riding) to the total mileage display. As I use this as my main remaining fuel guesstimator, this is really annoying.

One day I saw a yellow flicker out of the corner of my eye, and then a little later I saw it again, this time confirming that this was the warning light going on for a second or less after which it reset the odometer display to total mileage.

When connecting my GS-911 (which now supports the NineT!!!) it reported the following error:
41731: Brake light open-circuit.
This error according to log has occurred 91 times...

Anyone else seeing this on their bikes?

Added info: I switched from the US to the ROW taillight with the stock ROW mounting, connecting the ROW taillight to the "spare" harness tucked away under the seat, just like BMW intended to. Maybe this needs to be programmed?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think thats a really good guess. You modded the light and now have a light error. Sounds like a good question to ask a tech at the dealer.
Nice job sourcing out the problem tho Zug.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the sad update, and sorry if I might step on my soapbox and rant.... in short - I am angry.

So I took my bike in to the dealer to have them check on this condition.
As a reminder: I changed my US tail light to the original BMW ROW/EU tail light and hooked it up using the connector that is zip-tied under the pillion seat. So all is just like it was designed by BMW for all markets except US, no aftermarket parts, no parts that don't belong on the NineT.
The error that occurs now is that every few minutes the yellow light comes on for a split second, the trip odometer display is reset to show total mileage and an error is recorded in the error log: "Brake light open Circuit"
Meaning, the ROW taillight with its different voltages and resistance triggers the error in the ECU - which my dealer confirmed.

The technician said the same would occur if I had changed to the smaller LED turn signals and that he should be able to program the computer to accept the new taillight. But no, the BMW software has no provision for that! We can only get the Alarm, turn signals, and handlebar grips programmed.

And here is where my fury starts: we were all lead to believe that we could customize our bikes and that lights are separated from the canbus to allow for modification, here it is straight from the dealer briefing kit:
"Specially designed electrical system to allow plenty of scope for customization.
The bike’s electrical system has been specially configured for greater technical flexibility, facilitating the installation of alternative electrical components, such as headlights or turn indicators
."

Granted they did not mention the taillight, but hey, at least I thought this statement would cover it and obviously the hideous US taillight is the one piece that every owner will want to change on their NineT.

So - is this strong enough of a case to take it to BMW and force them to make up on their marketing statements? It will only be a Software update, probably one check box in the BMW tool that a programmer could set in 5 minutes...

How do you all feel about this?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would be upset too. I also believed that there would be no problem changing out the rear tail light. BMW must have a solution for this problem being that you are running a light that was designed by BMW for this bike. I would pass this information along to BMW; I have a feeling you being told incorrect information by your dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
I feel your pain and agree, BMW should make it right considering the statement made in the briefing kit. I remember seeing that and when I got in to do some wiring didn't notice anything special about it, it's a standard BMW electrical system from what I see.
It does seem weird though since you're using the same tail light as our friends in the rest of the world, whom I don't think have this same issue.

Now with that said methinks you could spend a lot of energy with growing frustration and stress trying to get BMW to change it, and change isn't BMW's strong suit... Petitions, various threads, group emails, filing complaints with various goberment agencies or even a lawsuit, etc etc.
With all that energy being spent to get them to change something (and living up to a marketed item) I think you could just figure out what resistor(s) needs to be added to the tail light circuit, post up a great DIY to help everyone with that tail light wanting to avoid the errors and move on enjoying this wonderful bike.
I guess a simple phone call or email to BMW NA wouldn't hurt though to see what they say.

Either way good luck!

-Finn

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I concur and if any complaint is filed (and it should) it should be generic in nature so any lamp may be installed. An alternative is to figure out the electrical difference between the two and fool the CANBUS into thinking its a US unit. I see a cottage industry here like with Guzzi's and programming proms.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yes, I understand the disdain, but am not surprised. And yes, if enough folks complain, perhaps it will be updated. Do remember though, this is caused by the US regulations, when they do all this. And, the bike is still new. I think its very similar to the BMW auto start-stop technology. No REAL old time BMW auto drivers like this. As it came out, if you disabled start-stop, then parked your car, it defaulted back to this being on. (unlike some other german cars that defaulted to where you left it). So many people complained, and deferred purchase due to this, BMW finally relented and lets the dealer program it to default to your "last used" setting. As the US continues to come out with more regulations, I'm afraid these issues will be more prevalent. I guess this is one reason (along with warranty) I haven't done many changes on my NineT yet. Haven't even taken off the canister yet. Wonder if we see some faults coming up with that in the future. I really want to change that tail light in the future.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
That canister can off the minute it went into the garage as did the reflectors (ugly ass thing like the exhaust pipes). People are modifying all kinds of things on street vehicles and when's the last time you saw smoked tail lights, tinted glass windows dark as pitch and cell phones glued in ears? Regulations do nothing so why should any of us hide in the dark afraid the boggy man is coming with dark glasses and a badge? :D

If BMW wants to open up the market to "aftermarket" then they need to give more access to CANBUS settings. Looks like Wonderlich will get an ear full too when they start selling the Euro light in the US. They'll get as much heat as BMW will.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That canister can off the minute it went into the garage as did the reflectors (ugly ass thing like the exhaust pipes). People are modifying all kinds of things on street vehicles and when's the last time you saw smoked tail lights, tinted glass windows dark as pitch and cell phones glued in ears? Regulations do nothing so why should any of us hide in the dark afraid the boggy man is coming with dark glasses and a badge? :D

If BMW wants to open up the market to "aftermarket" then they need to give more access to CANBUS settings. Looks like Wonderlich will get an ear full too when they start selling the Euro light in the US. They'll get as much heat as BMW will.
That's what I am hoping for - Wunderlich should have enough leverage on BMW to get attention...

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
That's what I am hoping for - Wunderlich should have enough leverage on BMW to get attention...
I was in the canyon picking up my spares (stock seat, passenger support and mufflers) and I mentioned this issue. Brian made a point that this came up with the S1000RR where taking off the tail light for racing caused issues with the temp gauge going away. Me thinks once you get the right information clearly there may already be precedent set to get this cleared up to everyone's satisfaction. Too bad the CANBUS expert is on the K1600 forum. :(

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
My bike has been plagued with mysterious switching from Trip odometer to total mileage odometer for the last 1000 miles or so.
So instead of always displaying the trip odometer like I want it to, it constantly switched back (while riding) to the total mileage display. As I use this as my main remaining fuel guesstimator, this is really annoying.

One day I saw a yellow flicker out of the corner of my eye, and then a little later I saw it again, this time confirming that this was the warning light going on for a second or less after which it reset the odometer display to total mileage.

When connecting my GS-911 (which now supports the NineT!!!) it reported the following error:

Added info: I switched from the US to the ROW taillight with the stock ROW mounting, connecting the ROW taillight to the "spare" harness tucked away under the seat, just like BMW intended to. Maybe this needs to be programmed?
Have you considered hopping across the border and having a Mexican dealer do the re-programing?

·
Registered
47 Posts

How did you get this sorted out? I hope to install the EU Taillight soon!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wunderlich does not have any power over BMW, talked to them today. Wunderlich is now aware of the problem and working out a solution to fool the computer into thinking the stock taillight is there when they use their Euro spec taillight replacement. We shall see how they solve it (likely a circuit resistor) and then anyone can add the light with the mod.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
This issue has ALWAYS been there. Where has Wunderlich been?
In Germany, where it isn't a problem. Wunderlich USA would need to hear it from a customer - in particular, a customer who bought their kit AND noticed it was throwing an error code. Considering most dealers had to find out the same way, I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
91 Posts

@zugvogel - I have the same exact problem as you do after installing Wunderlich tail tidy with Euro tail light. I was going to complain to the dealer when I have my 700 mile service, and then I ran into your post. This forum is great. Thank you for pinpointing the problem. I'm no genius but I'll see if I can figure this out. If the computer think it's an open circuit, it means that the resistance is too high with Euro tail light. Adding another resistor in parallel with the tail light should cure it. I need to figure out the difference in resistance between the Euro and the USA tail light. That's theory anyway. I'll update when/if I find a solution. I have a cheapo DMM which may be good enough to measure the resistance of the lights.

And yes, it is f-ing annoying when the trip odo switches to total mileage!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts