BMW NineT Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone just a quick update. Since the resistor didn't do the trick initially, I had my bike "flashed" at the dealer to accept the new LED turn signals I put on. At this point I had taken the resistor out, in hopes that this would solve the problem. But it didn't. So I tried putting the resistor back in, and it now works! So, if you tried the resistor but haven't had your bike's computer set to accept LED turn signals-- give that a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Spoke to Wunderlich yesterday, according to the person I spoke too the euro bmw tail light they sell is plug and play. Will not generate any error codes or problems. Does anyone know if this is true ?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Spoke to Wunderlich yesterday, according to the person I spoke too the euro bmw tail light they sell is plug and play. Will not generate any error codes or problems. Does anyone know if this is true ?
Hard to say...
IF you have a 2014 -16 R9T with the large USA tail light the info is in this thread if you choose to read it. BUT since you provide no info about what yr / model bike you have it's hard to say...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bike is a 2016. I did read the post. Was just wondering if the Wunderlich euro bmw tail light I’d different in any way. I would assume you would have to use a resister with there’s as well. However Eddie at Wunderlich says he has installed several with no problems. If anyone has installed one from them,would be interested in knowing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
as just wondering if the Wunderlich euro bmw tail light I’d different in any way. I would assume you would have to use a resister with there’s as well.... If anyone has installed one from them,would be interested in knowing.
I'm running a Wunderlich tail tidy with the BMW OE euro tail light they sell on my 2015. It needed a resistor exactly as the thread says. Without the resistor I had the brake lite error code and the sporadic trip reset.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the stock U.S. taillight is left in place and an additional small led brake light is added to the rear plugged into the euro socket , will that cause any problems or error codes? Bike monitors drop in voltage does in monitor an increase ?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If the stock U.S. taillight is left in place and an additional small led brake light is added to the rear plugged into the euro socket , will that cause any problems or error codes? Bike monitors drop in voltage does in monitor an increase ?
Canbus seems to monitor amperage to see if the tail light is working, not voltage. There is no separate brake light or brake light circuit. There is one light doing double duty as tail light and brake light with PWM making it dimmer for tail light and brighter as brake lite. You may get away with adding low wattage LED, you'd have to try it and see if you get a code..

·
Super Moderator
2014 Classic
3,805 Posts
I did have an LED strip as an extra brakelight using a Back-Off modulator and didn't get any error codes or problems at all.
I did have it plugged into the spare connector, although opposite to your setup.
Go for it, you'll be fine! :eek:k:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any new up dates on the 2.2k resistor, is it still the best choice ? Anyone running with it for a while ? Which is better 2.2 k 1/4 watt or a higher watt ? Last question anyone manage to source a plug to fit the U.S. tail light socket ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little insight and direction

Ok so I'm having the same symptoms

Brief Warning Light, reset odometer display - Caused by "brake-light open circuit"

but with a slightly different setup,

I'm running a 2016 RnineT (with the LED turn signal flash carried out ) Originally I received the bike without the stock taillight assembly installed, and only the "Fancy Bike thing Tail Tidy" installed through the Euro plug on the tail light harness, and nothing plugged into the USA plug. No issues up to this point. For various reasons I had to install a second tail light. So I decided to use the available USA plug to install the Denali B6 LED Brake Light. I never had any warning lights running the single taillight through the Euro socket, but after installing the Denali light in the USA socket and running both tail lights at the same time I now get the "Brief Warning Light, reset odometer display - "brake-light open circuit" (Fault code verified with a GS-911)

After reading the previous posts it would seem to me that I need to convince the ECU that the Denali light plugged into the USA socket has the same resistance as the OEM stock USA Taillight.
Do I achieve this by adding in a resistor to the USA tail light circuit to match or "mimic" the OEM taillight resistance of 2200ohms?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Happy to report that I logged over 100 mi with the resistor and the odo don't not change to total miles with the Euro OEM tail light.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts