BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R nineT pure k21-0A06
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tried to fit aftermarket Hand Grips (as pic below), during removing process, left Combination switch broken- the connection wiring/film circuit torn(pic-1)
OEM-BMWpart no: 61318546167 (2015)
Any advise on how to repair the tiny circuit film?
Or
Shall i go with a used one to get replaced.
New is very expensive $330
Pic-1
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

Piano Musical instrument Keyboard Musical keyboard Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
466 Posts
Perhaps if you could formulate the question better.. and add some pictures we can help.

What is broken? The plastic?, a switch?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Unless you can find/buy just that circuit ribbon ... You won't be able to fix that. Used or new seems to be your only route unfortunately.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Unless you can find/buy just that circuit ribbon ... You won't be able to fix that. Used or new seems to be your only route unfortunately.
Yes correct-sub parts for sub assemblies are very rare in the market-specially with thin circuits like this, went to a mobile repair shop in city now-he said can be repaired but not sure if it will work-will post after the repair and installation back-Fingers crossed

Torn portion Marked in pic- Turn indicators connections passing through this-with 6 leads-need to tenuously connect these-
Automotive lighting Wood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
2018 BMW R nineT
410 Posts
I've repaired ribbons like these before but it's difficult and fiddly. It involves carefully scraping off the protective film/varnish, tin the exposed contacts and solder thin wires, one by one. Difficult and the result cannot be guaranteed to work even the first time, let alone over time. It would be better to get another one, used or new.

I feel your pain, looking forward to do this nice upgrade with lovely components to enhance your experience but alas, a few hours later, instead of a big smile on your face, you are looking in dismay to some broken (expensive) bits. Been there, done that. Several times. o_O:sick:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've repaired ribbons like these before but it's difficult and fiddly. It involves carefully scraping off the protective film/varnish, tin the exposed contacts and solder thin wires, one by one. Difficult and the result cannot be guaranteed to work even the first time, let alone over time. It would be better to get another one, used or new.

I feel your pain, looking forward to do this nice upgrade with lovely components to enhance your experience but alas, a few hours later, instead of a big smile on your face, you are looking in dismay to some broken (expensive) bits. Been there, done that. Several times. o_O:sick:
Fiddly is an understatement...you should have been a neurosurgeon.

OP....indeed a new ribbon circuit is in order.

·
Administrator
12,778 Posts
Agreed! I've repaired a couple of ribbon cables to laptop trackpads - only because I couldn't get the parts and the laptop was urgently required and a USB mouse wasn't an option for operational reasons. Fiddly doesn't even begin to describe the job! One repair lasted a couple of weeks, the other lasted until I swapped it out 4 months later when the replacement parts eventually arrived.

Your best option is to source replacement parts - especially given the vibration and weather that will be getting thrown at it. I personally wouldn't risk being out riding only to have the switchgear fail on you. Murphy's law will always dictate that it will fail at the worst possible moment! ;)

If I were you I'd be looking at trying to source a used part, and only buying new if I absolutely had to (due to the fact that I'm a careful Scot and we like to hang on to our money... ;) )

Simply my opinion...

Reactions: Potti

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes correct-sub parts for sub assemblies are very rare in the market-specially with thin circuits like this, went to a mobile repair shop in city now-he said can be repaired but not sure if it will work-will post after the repair and installation back-Fingers crossed

Torn portion Marked in pic- Turn indicators connections passing through this-with 6 leads-need to tenuously connect these-
View attachment 147896
Got it repaired with a mobile phone service expert, told chances are minimal, got it installed carefully (as a neuro surgeon 🙇‍♂️) Not working (only 1 film-for turn signals)
Given the location of tear and intriguity-i don't think it can be repaired again.
Was behind it for a week.
Need to replaced with a used one, any idea where i can get a used?
After repair of ribbon

Toy Automotive wheel system Auto part Wood Plastic

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed! I've repaired a couple of ribbon cables to laptop trackpads - only because I couldn't get the parts and the laptop was urgently required and a USB mouse wasn't an option for operational reasons. Fiddly doesn't even begin to describe the job! One repair lasted a couple of weeks, the other lasted until I swapped it out 4 months later when the replacement parts eventually arrived.

Your best option is to source replacement parts - especially given the vibration and weather that will be getting thrown at it. I personally wouldn't risk being out riding only to have the switchgear fail on you. Murphy's law will always dictate that it will fail at the worst possible moment! ;)

If I were you I'd be looking at trying to source a used part, and only buying new if I absolutely had to (due to the fact that I'm a careful Scot and we like to hang on to our money... ;) )

Simply my opinion...
Final verdict: it is not working, any leads for used part-where i can look(ebay-used not available)

·
Administrator
12,778 Posts
Try motorbike breakers. No idea what might be local to you so possibly best doing a google search.

Reactions: Potti
1 - 12 of 12 Posts