BMW NineT Forum banner

Build “Misty” for me - ‘22 Scrambler

28K views 185 replies 22 participants last post by  Chopper_Bob 
#1 ·
I thought I better start my own thread on my build.

I have ordered ‘22 Scrambler, which is due late March/ early April. I have made a build list of parts to be added to the bike and parts are coming in (slowly).

This is currently in the house, and it will allow me to spray paint the rear fender and front screen already in Kalamata colour.

SW-Motech skid plate and stainless crash bars (replace bolts for inner hexagonal ones)
unit garage screen, screen extension and gps support
unit garage comfort handle bars
unit garage rear fender and numberplate support, added rear reflector (FC-Moto)

still waiting for the Al hard cases, hand guards, Rizoma mirrors, SW-Motech Micro tank bag.

Robert

Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design Bumper Hood

See less See more
#3 ·
Man, it’s going to be a real baby! I don’t think there’s anyone on this forum who joined 9 months before the bike’s arrival! Feels like you’ve been here forever! Looking forward to this one!

#5 ·
For now it will make quite the rocking chair, a real conversation piece. There are no highway pegs for the crash bars?
You have way more patience than me (y). Tons here about foot pegs and the like, so you will rocket into having fun nearly straight away.

#7 ·
Some more kit arrived: for on the tank:

Luggage and bags Bag Font Motor vehicle Gadget

also made a small rack to hang fender and wind screen on in prep for painting to match the bike colour:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Automotive wheel system

now just have to wait until temperatures go up somewhat to allow for spray painting…

#17 ·
So I had the spacers of the handguards machined down to 30mm to be able to fit the mirrors on there.

Next step was to trial fit the handguards to the unit garage comfort handles. The handles have an internal thread (M12) but Barkbusters provides an expanding sleeve that should fit inside the handle bar. However I don't think that an expansion from 12mm to 17mm is possible to do and make it fit properly inside the handlebar. I am wondering why Barkbusters could not use the existing M12 thread with a adjuster of somekind...

So I went looking for adapters M12 outside to M8 inside and Rizoma turned out to have these!!! WOOHOO!!! part number LP323B, for the BMW C600 scooter, awesome!! 🥳🥳

So ordered the parts and they came in today. Went to trial fit these very nice pieces but for some reason the M12 thread would not engage,... huh???? 🤦‍♂️

Turns out there are two pitches for the M12 thread, 1.5 (fine) and 1.75 (coarse).... and guess what... the handlebar has M12x1.75 but FFS BMW made the handlebars for the C600 with M12x1.5... why oh why???? :mad:😭😭😭

Now looking in to having these machined by a local shop at great expense I am sure....

Why do we have standards if they are not applied??? I am going to cry in the corner some more now...

#19 ·
@Chopper_Bob
I would cut the threads over with a die M12x 1.75. It sounds impossible but it works
That is what we are going to attempt first. it is an aluminium part so could be quite soft, but will loctite it in place anyway!

Robert

#20 ·
I vote for @Chopper_Bob to win BOTMWOTABY (Bikeofthemonthwithouttheactualbikeyet)
I don’t think there has ever been a member who had collected that many mods way before delivery. That’s true compassion!

#21 ·
There is actually (some) sense to this madness of ordering stuff early,… especially when there are “interfaces” e.g. howdo I fit the bar end mirrors with the barkbuster hand guards and the unit garage handle bar. This needs some work/thought/improvisation to make it all work together.

same I want the fender and windscreen painitng to match the colour. All that needs time to do but is not dependent on having the bike there.

So I can prepare a lot before hand and than install it without having the bike unavailable for riding too long after I get it!

but thanks @Norbi for your kind nomination!!!

#22 ·
Sadly, my nomination for you in the BOTM February thread just got canceled…

“Reason: Sadly only actual bikes can win BOTM not accessories! Looking forward to seeing CB's actual bike with the accessories when the bike finally arrives. :)

🤷‍♂️

#25 ·
Progress on the handlebar/barkbusters/mirror installation:

I had the Rizoma adapter recut to the coarse thread:

Household hardware Automotive tire Fastener Nickel Cylinder

Test fitted the part and went in no problem
Automotive design Wood Bumper Rim Bicycle part

Installed it with red loctite:

Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Gas Tints and shades

After some measuring, cut 12mm of the brakbuster’s supplied M8 bolt to ensure it would fit inside the Rizoma adapter.

And than lastly test fitted the Barkbusters handguard frame to the UnitGarage Comfort handle bar:

Hat Fedora Sun hat Luggage and bags Automotive tire

The rizoma mirror will fit on the black spacer…

Final assembly will be with loctite on the M8 bolt as well that screws in to the Rizoma adapter

Very happy!!!

Attachments

#26 ·
Hi Robert,

have you head from your dealership regarding your bike? I thought you would have heard something by now.

Not to worry you but I got this from my dealership today

If I'm totally honest it’s been a welcome sight to see your bike as there are suddenly massive delays in the heritage range due to component shortage so it’s great that it’s in the country, some people are having to wait until May/June for their bikes now!!

I take it that is the reason for the delays. If you want a new BMW maybe you need to order it now for delivery in 6 months time?

#34 · (Edited)
Well the delivery date has been pushed back by a month, now looking end of April march. Dealer wasn't clear to me what the production schedule showed. Production week is planned for week 15, which is kinda neat as that is my birthday week..

But no major delay identified so nothing to worry abt anyway... (and there are bigger things going on as well...)

#29 ·
Received the quadlock and ram mount system to mount my phone to the handle bar on the OEM mirror thread. Not usong my phone for navigation, I have the Zumo for that. But I use an App often called Flitsmeister that warns for fixed cameras and also show my actual speed from GPS…

The big lump on top is for the wireless charging… Now need to find a ¼“ nut to replace the handscrew on the ram mount.

Peripheral Output device Gadget Audio equipment Automotive tire