BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a dive right out of the box the moment I found these online. They are high quality and very bright, blindingly bright and leave the under side of the rack open for a tent or sleeping bag to be stored on a multi day road trip.

These are just the first pictures I could take in my garage. I'll get some other photos tomorrow after work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011J6N320/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To mount them I used the holes on the bottom of the Rizoma Rack and I did end up cutting off the stock connectors and soldering the wires directly. This does require a reflash to get rid of the fast turn signals and the fault code on the LCD display. The inner part of the light are the Amber LEDs and the outer LEDs are the red for running and Brake Lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Wow, that sure does change the back end look a lot. I like the rack without the "diving board" stock tail light assembly. I see you have the stock Metzler tires on still. That was the first mod I did, I switched to the Michelin Pilot Road 4 Trail and love the difference. They feel like they really lightened up the bike in the twisties. But they are NOT going to handle off road nearly as well. Are you going to scramble your Scrambler? :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I plan on swapping out the tires come spring. I'm looking at going with the Metzeler Tourance or possibly even going with the Metzeler Roadtec 01s next. I commute on this daily and wanted to get as many miles out of these as I can before swapping for something more grippy. I ride on gravel roads everyday and do a lot of camping trips into the mountains where gravel roads are necessary so I may stick with a Dual Sport tire. I really hated the giant diving board fender and the massive goofy tail light and turn signals. The tail light only had 4 LEDs in it where as each one of these has 8 or so for braking/running lights. They are blindingly bright and there is no way cars behind me can miss me getting on the brakes or deciding to turn.

From the side and a much higher angle, these are just the running lights. They really do light up everything behind you and are very visible from any angle. I'll load the rack up with my gear and take more pictures this weekend. I'm planning a bunch of 3 day trips for this coming summer. I'm also going to fabricate a plate that will mount under the seat and rack to create somewhat of a fender to block the water and road muck without changing this look at all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I've seen great reviews of the Metzler Roadtec 01 tires, they get rated similar to my current Michelin Pilot Road 4's. One review thought they were the best new tire of 2017. I was going to look at them when it's time to replace the Michelins, but I only have 6,000 miles on them so I've got time. I don't think the Roadtec are going to be very friendly off pavement. I read that the Michelin Anakee 3 is surprisingly good off road for a tire that looks like a street design.

When Revzilla reviewed the Urban GS, they commented that the steering on the Scrambler had felt off balance. Heavy, sluggish. They blamed the Karoo's. But the Urban GS had Continental TKC 80 tires and they felt like everything was right with the world. They said the TKC 80 really improved the off road capabilities but still felt like it worked better on pavement too.

I love the back end of your bike but wonder about mud stripes up your back when you go off road? Puddles happen!

I tried to include links to the Roadtec review at Fortnine.ca (best sport touring tires of 2017) and the Revzilla / common thread review of the Urban GS but the site won't allow me to include links because I'm a newbie here. My thousand posts on ThumperTalk mean nothing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rode a standard R Nine T, the Urban GS and the scrambler and I noticed the slower handling. I really like the look and feel of the bike. I am going to build a fender sort of thing under the seat and on the bottom of the rack but right now I mount a waterproof bag to the rack for riding in the rain so I don't get any road muck up my back at all. I'm looking at the Roadtec 01s mainly because most of my riding is on paved roads and I ride year round, rain or shine. We will see what I end up going with in a few months when I'm ready for new tires. I want to get what miles I can out of these for now. It's a slow upgrade process but more will come in the future. I just wanted to show what a difference it can make to go with a different set of brake/turn signals and couldn't find what I wanted in the Tail Tidy options out there. I just couldn't justify spending $250-350 on something that wouldn't work well with the rack on the scrambler.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Sorry if I sort of hijacked your thread with talking about tires. I love the look of your back end and have bookmarked the link on Amazon that you included. And your idea of a waterproof bag on the rack acting as a rear fender is simple, clean, and easy. Good idea. Do you consider the Rizoma Rack to be high quality, good fit, and worth the price?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I chose this one initially because it was available with the bike but the one thing I wish this rack didn't have was the bar that sticks up. If I want to run my bag on part of the seat as well, the bar presses into the bag and takes away some of the space. I am considering cutting that bar off and re-powder coating the rack. I had to drill out the holes on the rack just a tad bit larger to install the turn/stop signals.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some better photos of the way the rear end of my bike turned out with the rack and bullet turn/stop signals. I love this look far more than the stock tail lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I love the look - I have similar Kellermann Bullets. Could you take a couple of close ups of where the lights mount underneath the rack? Also do you know if the Rizoma rack will work with the BMW tail bag? Thanks in advance for your help.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Rizoma rack has eyelets under it that stick down and I just drilled those out a little bit larger to fit the lights. I attached a photo of the design of the Rizoma rack and circled the eyelets in red that hang down where my lights are mounted. I don't have the BMW tail bag so I have no idea if the rack will work with it. I am going to cut off the bar that sticks up and powder coat the rack again because that interferes with the military bag I use.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
The bike looks great! Really tidy, clean, and those lights can't be missed! I would do the same and probably cut that piece off the back of the rack too. I'd also love to see a pic once you get your fender fabbed up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll update this thread once I fab up the fender. That probably won't happen till I'm off work between Christmas and New Years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts