BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

· Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
I just saw these when googling "spiked motorcycle tires". :LOL: As if!
View attachment 160504
Ride on....ice!
Big difference between simple chains and ice SPIKES ……… 😱😳😨🥶🫣😬😦
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Watch @SmallBlueThing ……………. This IS ice racing …… it’s fast and dangerous as hell …… imagine getting run over by a competitor ………. Blitz
………………………….

As a younger man living much further up North than Texas … when the lakes froze over we would have our own version of ice racing … no motorcycles or four wheel drive, no chain, no spikes … standard road tire only but any kind of vehicle … and there were all kinds of vehicles, from VW’s and many old sedans .. to an old Benz … we’d make a circle on the ice and put hay-bales the whole way around the circle … the circle was somewhat small, maybe 150’ diameter.. and you could only go 20 or 25 mph around the circle before the centrifugal forces would cause the car to slide out of the circle. So you get 15 or 20 cars (enough to fill the circle) in a circle going 25 mph .. each car with absolutely as many people as you could stuff in it .. plenty of beer and everyone high and tuned to the same RockRadioStation with everyone singing loudly… if anyone bumps another car it simply pushes them out of the circle and they have to push their way back into the race … it was hours of fun … we all had hot rods or trucks a couple station wagons … obviously you couldn’t take your parents car racing because they will get scraped and dented but we didn’t care about our own cars, we were pretty drunk and having way to much fun ….. DazeGoneBye …. ……………….. many wonderful laughing memories ………………. Blitz

Hey @Norbi … What angle lean do you think those bikes are cornering … 40°+ I’m sure… 🙃 They are usually rated at under 100 horsepower but their traction would allow them intense acceleration and speeds around 80mph in those short straights …
GoFast/Have Fun ………………….. Blitz

· Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Twenty degrees so far this year, no heated gear. And I plan to ride all year!
View attachment 160508
Now that’s brave …… is there any Inuit in your blood …. Or just ice-water ? That’s damn cold …. Could Not Do That myself 🫡 ……….. Blitz

· Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I don't think is that cold!
Like I said, your part Eskimo ……or polar bear …. I’m part SouthAmerican iguana crossed with a TexasDiamondBack rattle snake …
no cold is the best cold ! … Snow is my enemy ! … Ice is the ultimate road equalizer … me and my bike are equal to a hockey puck.
No ThankYou…… and 20° F is DAMN COLD ! ……………. I love my 105° Hot Tub after a brisk ride but that’s no where near 20° ……………………………………………..Blitz

· Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
A mild spell in the Toronto area this week, much of the snow has melted. 0 degrees C. First time seeing the sun in weeks so I went for a jaunt on lil red. Brrrrr. But I was smiling. Happy new year.
View attachment 160836
Wow … that’s so cool … it looks like a big Vacuum Cleaner on bike wheels. Where do you put the hose with all the cool attachments. This is the science of CAD illustrations no doubt. Sooo Japanese … a real Ninja Bike .. right out of a ComicBook ………….. sorry .. “GraphicAdventureNovel” nobody says comic book anymore … OldSchool .. WayCool … Fujisawa was a genius, I think my fourth or maybe fifth bike was a Honda ,,, a Honda 90. My fathers riding lawn mower had more horse power but I remember how much fun I had on that Honda at like 15 years old… last Honda I ever owned. …………………………….. Nice “RunAbout” @Guyfrom905 ………………………………………………………. StayUpOn2 even a tiny two ………………………….. Blitz

· Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'm coming up to my 76th birthday, and I enjoy being warm. Colder than 50F (10C) and I take my old Land Cruiser instead of the R9T.
Well your a couple years ahead of me @Estancio but not much … and when it’s that cold outside I’ll just stay in bed inside with the electric blanket thank you …. Burrrrrr ……… Blitz

· Registered
2020,R Nine T Racer
398 Posts
I have the Ural for the snow so I don’t worry about the temperature, as long as I’m in town. I bought a 1150 RT in 2004 when I had to commute for an hour each way. I rode it down to the 20s as long as it wasn’t icy. Heated grips with mittens, insulated Carhart coveralls, and insulated boots made it tolerable. The RT has such a good pocket that the wind wasn’t the problem, no worse than a hunter being in a deer stand for an hour.
View attachment 160036
Me Too. :LOL:It i s not a commuter, will last long enough if not driving faster than 50mph, service every 3000 miles, sooner if you feel like it. Can never service it enough. With fuel injection getting a good 47 miles per gallon. When it is hot, stop often, very hot, stop more for even longer breaks. Really old school and good add on to 9t. Enjoy. We seldom have temperatures less than 44 degrees fahrenheit, maybe in mountains down to 32. Snow is a rarity though. For me the 9 t is a winter and summer bike.

· Registered
2017 R9T Classic
263 Posts
I'm happy with my Knox gear for the top half and a baclava. I've struggled finding something adequate for my lower half so I ordered some ski over pants and they arrived yesterday. Going to try those overtop some riding pants or jeans with my Axial wind block thermals and se if it does the trick.

I have been very happy with my A* Denali Aerogel gloves and hand guards. It has to below 35 before I bother with the heated grips.

· Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I'm happy with my Knox gear for the top half and a baclava. I've struggled finding something adequate for my lower half so I ordered some ski over pants and they arrived yesterday. Going to try those overtop some riding pants or jeans with my Axial wind block thermals and se if it does the trick.

I have been very happy with my A* Denali Aerogel gloves and hand guards. It has to below 35 before I bother with the heated grips.
I just got a OneZee jump suit … really works well … it allows you to dress in normal street cloths then slip into the jump suit and ride … no multi layering needed. The legs open up down the sides with big zippers ………easy on easy off …………………….. Blitz
Product Sleeve Gesture Font Rectangle

· Registered
2017 R9T Classic
263 Posts
How long of a ride and what is your gear setup? Lowest I've ridden in is the mid-high 20's and my commute is 30 miles.

I think if someone were doing lower speeds and lots of stoplights then the cold wouldn't be much of a factor. I typically get up to 70-80 mph for a while and that's were it creeps in.

· Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
That’s really cold … I don’t think I’d even try … at 50°F.. I’m starting to reconsider and unless I’m already on the road I won’t leave the house below 40° but 16° isn’t even on my radar … just won’t happen to this Rider. No Way HoZay ……………… Burrrr…… I can’t go that cold …………………….. Blitz

· Registered
17 Posts
The ride is about 20 miles, I use a running jacket, motorcycle boot, vest, neck gaiter, Merlin Chigwell Lite Jacket, and windbreaker. Just regular fuel leather gloves. The only problem is that my face gets way too cold.

Coat Sleeve Collar Jacket T-shirt

Sleeve Collar Natural material Jacket Blazer

How long of a ride and what is your gear setup? Lowest I've ridden in is the mid-high 20's and my commute is 30 miles.

I think if someone were doing lower speeds and lots of stoplights then the cold wouldn't be much of a factor. I typically get up to 70-80 mph for a while and that's were it creeps in.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts