BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got my 2017 R NineT Pure yesterday.

Posting my issue because I couldn’t find another thread on it—only threads on the issue for shifting FROM neutral into first.

My issue is where the gearbox won’t shift INTO neutral from first when I’m at a long light.

Have any of you encountered this before? If so, how do you fix it? I’ve tried killing the engine and releasing the clutch to “reset” the bike, but it doesn’t work.

Also, I’ve read that holding the (dry) clutch in at lights can make it burn out faster. Is this only applicable if the bike is in neutral or does it also apply if the bike is in first or second?

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Might be something to do with the amount of movement being created when you pull the clutch lever in.
Do you think it's disengaging the clutch enough?

There's a long thread on how to adjust brake and clutch lever free play here :

See the guide that was created here

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Also, I’ve read that holding the (dry) clutch in at lights can make it burn out faster. Is this only applicable if the bike is in neutral or does it also apply if the bike is in first or second?
With the clutch lever pulled in there should be no pressure on the clutch plates so no it won't "burn out faster".
Having the bike in neutral or a gear does not contribute to any pressure on the plates.

When you hold the clutch in do you need to use a bit of brake to keep the bike still?
If you get any feeling of the bike moving, even after letting the lever out a fraction, then clutch adjustment is the first job on your list.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Simple solution! As you roll up to the traffic light in first or second gear just slip into neutral before you come to a stop. If you don't get all the way to neutral just hold the clutch in and work on adjusting your timing on the downshifting.

Learn things about your bike "Grasshopper" it is your friend but it can torment you if you don't get to know how it likes to be treated. Its a dry clutch and not very well synchronized transmission, it will be clunky, stubborn and downright obnoxious when shifting up and down, its a characteristic of the brand that will either make or break the relationship.

Just as Harley Davidson tried to trademark and patent the exhaust note from they're bikes I'm sure BMW tried to do the same with the clunky transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simple solution! As you roll up to the traffic light in first or second gear just slip into neutral before you come to a stop. If you don't get all the way to neutral just hold the clutch in and work on adjusting your timing on the downshifting.

Learn things about your bike "Grasshopper" it is your friend but it can torment you if you don't get to know how it likes to be treated. Its a dry clutch and not very well synchronized transmission, it will be clunky, stubborn and downright obnoxious when shifting up and down, its a characteristic of the brand that will either make or break the relationship.

Just as Harley Davidson tried to trademark and patent the exhaust note from they're bikes I'm sure BMW tried to do the same with the clunky transmission.
Thanks for the suggestion and encouragement!

I did attempt to shift into neutral from 2nd, but instead went to first and couldn’t shift up to neutral before coming to a stop.

I’ll keep working at it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the clutch lever pulled in there should be no pressure on the clutch plates so no it won't "burn out faster".
Having the bike in neutral or a gear does not contribute to any pressure on the plates.

When you hold the clutch in do you need to use a bit of brake to keep the bike still?
If you get any feeling of the bike moving, even after letting the lever out a fraction, then clutch adjustment is the first job on your list.
Thanks for the info on the plates!

As far as using the brake, I’ll pay closer attention, but the only movement I noticed was rolling back on an incline (with the clutch fully engaged and the brake let off). However, when I let off the break, I also did not notice any unusual lurching as I smoothly released the clutch and rolled on. I’ll attempt again to release the brake on a flat road, and see how the clutch behaves when I release a fraction and don’t roll the throttle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might be something to do with the amount of movement being created when you pull the clutch lever in.
Do you think it's disengaging the clutch enough?

There's a long thread on how to adjust brake and clutch lever free play here :

See the guide that was created here
Thanks for the resource on clutch adjustment!

As far as disengaging the clutch, I’m not sure how to tell, as I’m new to the mechanics aspect of bikes.

What I do notice is when I have the issue, sometimes the clutch seems to get stuck in a high gear at the light. It’s like I’m starting from 3rd, and it lugs off the line, and I have to give extra gas while easing the clutch. At speed (30-40 mph), I cannot shift into 4th, so I have to down shift first before upshifting. Nots sure if this is related to my issue with moving into neutral, but it seems to be.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just before you try to press down into 1st release the clutch about a small amount. It will shift every time first time once you get the right amount.
I had the same issue all the time until someone told me to try this and it's now 2nd nature and no longer a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just before you try to press down into 1st release the clutch about a small amount. It will shift every time first time once you get the right amount.
I had the same issue all the time until someone told me to try this and it's now 2nd nature and no longer a problem.
ah! Thanks for the tip—I’ll give this a try and let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
10,171 Posts
Yep this is the method I've used on every BMW boxer I've owned and it works every time.

·
Registered
91 Posts

This is such H S. BMW is known to have some of the best transmissions in the busyness. Everyone who rode a Harley or some fast and to highly sprung Japanese machines know for a fact BMW transmission is a precision gem when compared to those things. Clunky is the only thing I felt about a transmission when I rode the Harley FB recently, and that is 2018 model bike.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ah! Thanks for the tip—I’ll give this a try and let you know how it goes.
Is this when you already stoped at the stoplight and have put your bike in to neutral and just before you get up and go off on the green. Then you let the clutch a small amount and push down in to first? Or is this advice for the time when you are still on the move, coming up to a stoplight ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
At standstill when wanting to go from neutral to 1st.
Never had an issue when moving as long as the revs are right and I'm firm with the pedal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
At standstill when wanting to go from neutral to 1st.
Never had an issue when moving as long as the revs are right and I'm firm with the pedal.
Yes ok, Bovril, I agree completely I have never had this issue at all. Just wondering about this letting out clutch a small amount. If I ever have a glitch when coming to neutral or going to first I might try this technique.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all,

I got my 2017 R NineT Pure yesterday.

Posting my issue because I couldn’t find another thread on it—only threads on the issue for shifting FROM neutral into first.

My issue is where the gearbox won’t shift INTO neutral from first when I’m at a long light.

Have any of you encountered this before? If so, how do you fix it? I’ve tried killing the engine and releasing the clutch to “reset” the bike, but it doesn’t work.

Thanks a ton!
First there is thread on this topic if you can find it.

I asked a similar question, what i got back in the way of answer was this. Burp the engine once or twice and then shift into neutral. Since receiving this advice, whenever I have trouble shifting into neutral I do this and it generally works. It's a feel thing,

Also, if you have trouble sifting into first from neutral, try burping the engine and then slowly let out the clutch while shifting into first until you feel it slip into gear.

As for burning out the clutch sitting at a light with the clutch held in, over all my years I've never experienced that happening.

That's my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all, thanks much for all the suggestions.

I found that shifting from second to neutral before coming to a stop at a light works perfectly!

This also allows me to easily shift back into 2nd for quicker acceleration when the light changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's caused by false neutral, I had the same phenom on my Pure and solved after tachometer installed. The gear indicator really helped. False neutral will not show which gear you are in on the gear indicator, it just show blank, release half way and pull the clutch lever again takes care the problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you New to getting UpOn2 on a moto the hand and foot coordination can be a while in coming, but it will. Next time you can’t find neutral, or can’t get it in first, while holding the clutch in and the bike is idling use your feet to roll the moto just a little forward or backward,
and try again. Sometimes I can’t get my 9T in first after sitting at a light in neutral but by both working the clutch lightly and rolling the moto just a tiny bit it drops right in. BMW transmissions are some of the best made and are bullet proof, it’s the last problem you’ll have once you get used to it. Take your bike to an experienced rider and let him test the clutch to see if it’s completely dis-engaging. That will tell the tale. Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts