BMW NineT Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nothin unusual, its a boxer, worked this out a long time ago, just role it back n forward till it clicks, or keep it in gear at the lights. Although the R Nine has an usually smooth gearbox for boxers it still has the old traits.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is such H S. BMW is known to have some of the best transmissions in the busyness. Everyone who rode a Harley or some fast and to highly sprung Japanese machines know for a fact BMW transmission is a precision gem when compared to those things. Clunky is the only thing I felt about a transmission when I rode the Harley FB recently, and that is 2018 model bike.
I'm with you on this one, my 1978 r60/7 with quarter million miles on it had a clunky gearbox. I have a 2003 r1150gs with 55,000 miles and shifts great, my 2018 urban g/s has one of the nicest shifting transmissions of any bike I've owned. Something must be out of adjustment or pieces got bent inside transmission. It shouldn't have those issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey all, thanks much for all the suggestions.

I found that shifting from second to neutral before coming to a stop at a light works perfectly!

This also allows me to easily shift back into 2nd for quicker acceleration when the light changes.
I tried the trick of 2nd to neutral while coming to a stop and it worked well.

Thanks boxerandhyde for the tip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would suggest for safe riding it's best to be in gear at the lights incase a car doesn't notice you and you need to make a quick getaway to avoid being rear ended...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Change the transmission fluid to Amsoil severe gear oil 75w-90. Gear changes are smooth as butter, no miss shifts or issues finding neutral.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts