BMW NineT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I've got a problem I'd like your help in fixing. I'd like to remove my seat, in order to be able to remove the leather tank strap on which I can attach my tank bag. At the dealership we removed the T27 screw, it was very tight but the dealer guy was able to unscrew it (by hand). Then he also screwed it back in (by hand).

Now I've tried everything, with manual Torx tools and with a little electric drill. What I noticed when I used the electric drill is the whole screw + plastic part above (?) rotated as a whole, not just the screw.

Please see the attached ZIP for a 6sec video showing the problem.

I can't believe I can't even unscrew the most basic screw from my bike...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Maybe you stripped it.

Can you use your finger nails or a flat head screw driver and get under the screw? I am wondering if you can apply downward pressure from behind the screw and turn the screw counter clockwise at the same time if it will come out.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Maybe you stripped it.

Can you use your finger nails or a flat head screw driver and get under the screw? I am wondering if you can apply downward pressure from behind the screw and turn the screw counter clockwise at the same time if it will come out.
Or alternatively have someone pull the seat upwards as you try to undo the screw.

·
Administrator
11,766 Posts
Or alternatively have someone pull the seat upwards as you try to undo the screw.
+1 for this! Sounds as if the captive nut is spinning for some reason.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I think you will need to pull up on the seat quite hard and turn with a hand torx, sounds like the nut is moving.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I'll try today or tomorrow whether it works if I pull the seat up and move the Torx at the same time. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
285 Posts
On my Pure, I think it's a T30.
Mine was very tight and I had to use a 3/8 drive ratchet to loosen it.
Wish you success

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
==update==
After having spend some holidays abroad and still not being able to remove my seat, I went to a BMW dealership here in Madrid. They mentioned; yup we need to completely remove the old seat and install a new one. After having had a look into the original warranty of the bike, this was fully covered :) 2 year warranty ends on jan 26th, went to the dealer on the 14th, so went well!

In two days the bike will be back, complete with a new seat!

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's good news! In the future I would avoid using power tools, though. I took my entire Nine T apart and never needed them, and it's way too easy to strip crucial threading.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's good news! In the future I would avoid using power tools, though. I took my entire Nine T apart and never needed them, and it's way too easy to strip crucial threading.
Absolutely agree! What appears to have happened: the dealer where I bought it (non-BMW) screwed in this screw way too tight. Which caused the thread to be damaged, this problem as a result. But I'm happy now, I can finally take the seat of myself :wavetowel2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just had same problem with my Scrambler seat - captive nut in seat just spinning :angry:

Bike over 2 years old but fortunately the High seat on it is less than 2 years old (still have receipt) and local dealer agreed to sort it under warranty.

Bike now has a brand new seat fitted :smile:

So be careful with the retaining bolt as this is definitely a weak point :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts