BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I recently got a R9T racer in very good condition. I an looking into upgrading the safety and riding aspects of the bike.I have a budget of around 1500Euro.
So my dilemma is this should I upgrade the suspension cartridges? or should I proceed in retrofitting the ASC traction control? I believe they will cost me almost the same more or less.
I did asked my local BMW dealer regarding retrofitting the ACS and he said that it could not be done, but some digging around i found
with part no 13618527530 and 61318394463
What is your opinion of ACS vs Suspension upgrade?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tires.

Or suspension, but you'll want to do the rear along with the front. Otherwise you're going to just highlight the non-upgraded part that much more.

The ACS and ABS is perfectly fine on this bike and has never crossed my mind a need to "improve" it. You're better off taking rider advancement classes so that you're not constantly triggering the ACS, and then that way you can take the "mod" with you with any bike you own.

To be honest, I've never been less than satisfied with the stock suspension, but I don't take the bike to the track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I have not made it clear in my first post, the R9T Racer i got, did not come with factory installed ASC option. So i was looking into installing it by retrofitting or to upgrade suspension.I guess the main question is how important you think ASC is compared to better suspensions.
Also could you please let me know whether you upgrade the whole suspensions front forks or just internal and cartridges?

·
Registered
22 Cosmic Scrambler (K23)
128 Posts
You get the benefit of ASC in rare events. You get the benefit of suspension always.

I am with Vectorbug on the suspension. Rear then front. I has Matris cartridges put in my bike before the rear was swapped and the rear just felt that much worse.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
Good insight from both @deadwood83 and @Vectorbug IMHO. You would notice the suspension upgrade every mile, but it'd be best to do both front and rear.

On the question of complete fork replacement vs. internals, I'd say most people on here who've done it (myself included) have found new internals completely sufficient. (Granted, hard to do an actual A/B test, given the expense and difficulty that would be involved in doing both on the same bike... But just saying, most people would probably say it was a worthy upgrade, that they are satisfied with.)

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Three words of advice: suspension, suspension and, oh yes, suspension. In my case, I ride a 2017 pure, I installed an Andreani cartridge front (must be installed by a speciallist, but it represents no major problem) and an Ohlins BM 652 rear. Huge difference all around, specially in the track day. Another word of advice: install a beefier seat. In my case, I installed the high version of the scrambler seat (two or three more centimeters in height) and, with the suspension, it´s a much more confortable ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts