BMW NineT Forum banner

321 - 336 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just deleted the canister on my 2019 Scrambler.

I hid the relay under the seat, had to remove the plastic underseat tray and drop it down to slide the relay in. I also fed the drain tube into the lower drain tube as mentioned on this thread. Looks perfect.

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
135 Posts
After I removed the canister on my R9T, I was not happy with that error code. So I measured the valve with 25 Ohm and 5 Watt. Then I cut the plug off the valve and cleared the contacts. Found a resistor with 25 Ohm and 5 Watt and soldered it on the contacts. Test run on the GS-911 doesn't show the error anymore.
Elegant. But may I ask how the heck you got in there to solder the contacts?

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
135 Posts
So it's solder the resistor to the small gauge wires ?
Connect the 2 large gauge wires together?
The OP of this solution hasn't been seen on this forum for a year. I don't think we will get a response. If someone else knows, now would be a good time to show yourself...lol.

·
Premium Member
2019 BMW R9T Pure
135 Posts
So it's solder the resistor to the small gauge wires ?
Connect the 2 large gauge wires together?
Careful. You may be looking at the wrong relay. The original poster was talking about the vacuum switch, not the starter relay that was attached to the charcoal canister. That starter relay must be retained. I've tucked mine under my seat by undoing the four screws that hold the underseat pan in place. The vacuum switch is attached to the frame rail under the left side of your tank.....The vacuum switch has only two leads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did the removal on my 2017 Racer today. Only need to parts 3/16 to 3/16 barb straight joiner and a 5mm vaccum cap. I brought both from the local car parts store for a few dollars.
I used the small pipe that comes off the left cylinder to extend the pipe from the tank down. Honesty it took about 20mins to do including routing the relay under the seat.
I've only done this as i plan to replace the rear suspension and will need the space although it definitely looks better now.

·
Registered
BMW R nineT Classic BMW R nineT Racer
42 Posts
Did it also on my Racer but put the canister and the relais under the seat. Longer hoses and the canister still works. That is necessary because if not the bike is no longer street legal in the EU.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
If the can aster is on its side how can it be functional? Wouldn't any over low run out as soon as entering?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The canister does not care in which position it is mounted. You can find tons of the same system in cars in any position you can imagine (and not). I talked to a guy at Hella who‘s job is to develop those systems. He says it doesn’t matter at all.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The system is a placebo anyway. Just read about the way and when it works on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the heads up... I have not cut that relay its under my seat. the wires where way to big for a simple switch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the heads up... I have not cut that relay its under my seat. the wires where way to big for a simple switch
Just undo the 4 torx screws and drop the base cover under the seat, there's plenty of room for the ridiculously large relay to fit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Another reason to remove the evaporations canister: now I can mount my piggyback-style shock with the reservoir on the side, so it doesn't interfere with my rear hugger...

321 - 336 of 336 Posts