BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
As to the oil cooler thermo shut off valve earlier referred to, this item failing is extremely rare, in fact I have never heard of one failing, they were introduced back in R1100 days. As to how it works, the ECU has nothing to do with the thermo valve's operation, but happy to be corrected if so.

·
Registered
2019 Scrambler
8 Posts
My thoughts on your ghost is that you rode the bike and probably put it on the side stand briefly before putting it up on the paddock stands. The next time you started and stopped it, it stayed on the paddock stands the entire time and never leaned over like before. I suspect the difference in oil level readings might be attributed to the way the oil drains while leaned (even briefly) versus remaining vertical.

When you moved it again to get the GS out, did you put it on the side stand at all? If so, this would explain why your first and third oil level checks were the same…

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
Using your phone …measure from your camera lens to the ground … when the measurement is around 12” then this is how high you want your camera pedestal …. The site glass is at about 12” off the ground on my Classic but that may be different on you model …. No more guessing, get the exact same perspective every time. EasyPeezyDude ! Mount your phone on your handy dandy cheap-O stand then start a movie … set it by the bike and get on … stand the bike up and center it between you legs, I always rock mine a bit till I feel level … hold it for a few seconds … set it down and watch your vid to check the level. You can date and save the vids and keep a log, especially during your break-in when your burn some oil ….
Asphalt Road surface Wood Font Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Tread Road surface

Enough of the sight glass buzz ….. knowing German engineering as I do I can say with a degree of confidence that they didn’t take a short cut by using a cheap site window …. they just know that around a 1/4 difference in that level is no big deal at all. A full 1/2 of a window one way or the other is not critical, (unless your racing or pushing the bike a lot) … it’s a sump, there’s a bit more oil in there than is absolutely necessary so chill out. Put away you micro-scale and just keep some visible oil in the window. From the pict of my bike it will take about a 1/4 quart to be maxed out and topped off. Is it low ? Yes, but not yet critical though. No oil visible is when it’s critical. This phone stand is one simple way to check that …. There are many ways … see what works for you mates but no need to be quite so worried … there is a good fudge factor built in there ….. no need for frustration ….. Cheers ……………… Blitz
Disclaimer … I am not a German engineer nor do I represent BMW and all advice above is an opinion …
My opinion … worthless to anyone, …anyone but me … 50+ years of UpOn2 has got to count for something.
If you can see some oil your OK, top it off first chance you get …. Smile and have a pint ! No worries Mate. ………. Blitz

·
Premium Member
2016 RNineT Classic
1,200 Posts
From the pict of my bike it will take about a 1/4 quart to be maxed out and topped off
But 1/4 quart is really…0.0625 gal, or one cup, or 8 fl oz, or a forth of a forth of ~ 1liter.

If the US would finally adopt the much more logical metric system, like, “1 unit of oil refill equals exactly 1 portion of decent beer”, our lives would be so much easier! And that’s what these German engineers had in mind when they designed that submarine eyeglass thingy!

So: 🍻, and happy 🦃-day to the rest of the World!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
But 1/4 quart is really…0.0625 gal, or one cup, or 8 fl oz, or a forth of a forth of ~ 1liter.

If the US would finally adopt the much more logical metric system, like, “1 unit of oil refill equals exactly 1 portion of decent beer”, our lives would be so much easier! And that’s what these German engineers had in mind when they designed that submarine eyeglass thingy!

So: 🍻, and happy 🦃-day to the rest of the World!
May logic always prevail …. even after a few pints between friends …. 👍🏻

• Love
Reactions: Norbi

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
@BlitzSchnell excellent solution, I'll be building such a thing some rainy day. And I agree with you on the oil level — if you can see oil, you're good to go.
Simplicity rules Ric ……. and I’ve been told a few times I’m pretty simple, 🤭 …so it all works out ….. somehow ??

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
@BlitzSchnell well that looked a MASSIVE thing until I saw the phone attached to it and then it looked very small and cute!! 🤣🥰
That’s what she said when I texted her …….. I just blushed a bit ……….. Blitz

·
Registered
439 Posts
The trip from my present state of OK to "NUTS" is a very short trip so I try to avoid that "drive" as much as possible. I will only check the oil level in any of my sight glass bikes if I see signs of a leak (puddle, oil running down the side) or a day or two before a long ride. They all get yearly oil changes and safety inspections by me, included is a proper warm up (10-20 miles) and a pre-service inspection including an oil level check to see if any of them are using excessive oil. So far so good on all. I don't spend a lot of time trying to find or imagine nonexistent problems with any of the hoard. I never had a major mechanical issue on the road in forty (40) years other than a backed off valve adjuster on my '79 R 100S and I plead guilty on that problem.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If the US would finally adopt the much more logical metric system, like, “1 unit of oil refill equals exactly 1 portion of decent beer”, our lives would be so much easier!
So true. The simplicity and ease of metric is well described in this quote from James Bazell;

“In metric, one milliliter of water occupies one cubic centimeter, weighs one gram, and requires one calorie of energy to heat up by one degree centigrade—which is 1 percent of the difference between its freezing point and its boiling point. An amount of hydrogen weighing the same amount has exactly one mole of atoms in it. Whereas in the American system, the answer to ‘How much energy does it take to boil a room-temperature gallon of water?’ is ‘Go screw yourself,’ because you can’t directly relate any of those quantities.”

21 - 31 of 31 Posts