BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am having the following problem.
Every time I start my NineT Scrambler after not using it for say a few hours, the clock goes back to 12:00, waiting to be set.
This means that if I do not set the time it stays with 12:00 even if I drive for a while.

The bike's battery is fully charge but I wonder if there is another battery somewhere in the electronics which keeps the time/clock going.
Has anyone got a clue what it could be?

Thanks - Silaxe

·
Administrator
13,516 Posts
Have you tried setting the time again to the correct value? After this does it still return to reading 12:00?

I guess another question is where the time is stored... Is it in the instrument cluster or on the Body Control Module (or whatever the name BMW have for it) under the seat. In these days of Canbus linked systems it's easy for an old fart like me to get confused.

So if the time is stored in the instrument cluster, then I imagine it would be possible for there to be a small battery in there to power the clock when the ignition is off. I suspect however that even if the time is stored there, then there would simply be a 12V supply line from the bike's battery to the clock that would remain live despite the ignition being off.

Now again I emphasise that this is a guess (I'm far from an expert) but I think it is more likely that the time is stored in the Body Control Module and by the wonders of Canbus, the data is transferred to the instrument cluster display in much the same way that the trip computer data is... If that is the case then I'm a bit stumped. Is any other data not being kept stored such as the average fuel consumption? If they are also being lost then it might be a wiring fault (possible - no power being retained to keep stored settings) or a BCM issue (not very likely but possible).

Just my amateur thoughts....

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,277 Posts
Hi everyone,
Every time I start my NineT Scrambler after not using it for say a few hours, the clock goes back to 12:00, waiting to be set.
This means that if I do not set the time it stays with 12:00 even if I drive for a while.

The bike's battery is fully charge but I wonder if there is another battery somewhere in the electronics which keeps the time/clock going.

Thanks - Silaxe
Look on the bright side.
It's always lunchtime.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check your battery under load, ie when starting it. Weird things like this are often the battery, they are early signs which could lead to the bike not starting one day. There is a lot of info on the internet on how to do it if you have a multimeter.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,277 Posts
You can always call your local dealer or a dealer you trust and give them the Vin number and ask them if there are any service bulletins. Usually when something is wonky like that that's a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
Itinerate Jackass
1,277 Posts
On the boxers , clock re-setting to 1200 is indicative of a battery on the way out, some batteries don't last as long as some others. I don't know how old your battery is but I'd be thinking to change it, best done at home, not out on the road.:cool:
Amen to that brother. My scrambler is iffy on starts but no resetting on the clock happening. I picked up the bike on consignment from my dealership. They thought they put a new battery in it a short time ago. I peeped at it over the weekend. Mfg date shows early 2016.
It had a good life.

·
Administrator
13,516 Posts
No mention has been made of the bike being in any way difficult to start or struggling to turn over, or even the famous "click of death" to signal a battery that has lost the plot. I would have thought that a battery would have to be pretty well gone before something like the clock started playing up, so at least one of those symptoms should have shown up. Happy to stand corrected though! I'm certainly not immune to being wrong! ;)

Reactions: Baloo

·
Registered
411 Posts
Key information is missing. What year is the bike? Is it the original battery? How old is the battery? Do you keep a battery tender type device on the battery while it is parked over time? The OEM battery is matched for the bike and is what would be a basic (cheapest) battery to get the bike through the battery warranty period and not much more if BMW is lucky. Battery voltage means nothing at all unless you read it under load such as during start up. Rule of thumb here: if the battery is more the two (2) years old and its acting up replace it with a higher cranking amp battery and add some type of battery tender pigtail to maintain a good battery charge

·
Registered
451 Posts
No mention has been made of the bike being in any way difficult to start or struggling to turn over, or even the famous "click of death" to signal a battery that has lost the plot. I would have thought that a battery would have to be pretty well gone before something like the clock started playing up, so at least one of those symptoms should have shown up. Happy to stand corrected though! I'm certainly not immune to being wrong! ;)
From experience I can tell you that the clock re-set happens not long before the"click of death" on BMW boxers.:cool:

·
Registered
882 Posts
I would have thought that a battery would have to be pretty well gone before something like the clock started playing up
It might be gone just far enough that when he starts it the voltage drops so low that in the second between starting it and it running the battery is low enough that the clock resets. On the other forum this issue is seen often enough on big boxer motors with low batteries.

·
Administrator
13,516 Posts
From experience I can tell you that the clock re-set happens not long before the"click of death" on BMW boxers.:cool:
Good information that. (y) But wouldn't you think that the bike would at least be showing signs of being difficult to start? Slower than normal cranking speed for instance? Having said that, nothing would amaze me with how these computerised bikes act up when the battery starts to get a bit second hand. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Good information that. (y) But wouldn't you think that the bike would at least be showing signs of being difficult to start? Slower than normal cranking speed for instance? Having said that, nothing would amaze me with how these computerised bikes act up when the battery starts to get a bit second hand. :rolleyes:
Agreed. I would think that the bike would show some level of difficulty starting, but as you say, these computers are more sensitive to low voltage. Maybe the bike, under ideal conditions, will start with 11.9 volts instead of the usual 13.4 - 13.7 of a fully charged battery, but the clock might not even try when it is below a certain voltage.

@Silaxe this does give me an idea to help troubleshoot. Next time you go to start your bike, turn on the key and see if the time is correct before starting the bike, then check the time after. If it has reset to 12:00 before you try to start it, then there is probably another issue.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Since 1995 I've owned 5 fuel injected boxers and still have three of them, they don't give much warning that the battery is about to die, been caught out a few times ! Virtually no slow down in crank speed, first warning is the clock re-set and on the 1100 bikes abs warning will come on first, the next sound you will hear , usually the next day or so is the "click click". I've given the outgoing failed batteries to my brother for his ride on lawn mower and they typically operate fine for another year or more. The ECU in the BMW is very sensitive to battery performance, and unkind to the rider.:eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks - Silaxe
Connect jump leads carefully to the jump start point and see if it still happens. I suspect the voltage is dropping to low on crank to retain memory functions..

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi everyone,
Thanks for scratching your brain to help me figure it out.
So here I was thinking that the clock was resetting when I was starting the bike...
What is actually weirder is that when the bike is running, if I set the time to say 3:47pm, the clock does not move and stays on that time even if I ride for a while... Grrrrrrr
Of course when I turn it of, if I turn it back on it is back to 12:00 am.

Other bits of info:
- The bike starts perfectly, no sign of weakness, and yes it is the original battery. I do not ride much having done 2000km since purchase in June 2019 (2.5 years) but I charge the battery regularly with the BMW charger. I just recharged it again.
- When I set the time, the next setting is date but I cannot enter it. I have set date --. --. but canot do anything.
- Another strange behaviour is I no longer have the blinking red led on the counter indicating the alarm is on. I have tried turning it off and back on and nothing. I have also disconnected the wiring loom plug to the alarm and it started screaming so the internal battery is just fine.

I could try connecting the charger and then setting the time and see whether this then works...

Any more thoughts welcome.
Thanks - Silaxe

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Problem Solving Update
So, I went round to a BMW dealer (without the bike though) and discussing with one of the technicians they indicated they had actually encountered the problem once before on a NineT Scrambler and the reason was the Speedometer Control Module (Spare part # 62118394723) which was faulty. Replacing it fixed the problem.
I will go back with the bike and get it checked and let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Allo Silaxe. I have the same problem on my bike (same age, same mileage, similar history to yours). Thanks for the feedback. When I take the bike to the dealership (earliest I could get an appt was in July! 😭) will ask them to check the speedometer control module. Merci.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts