BMW NineT Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 R9T
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch lever had one third of it's travel in fudge before you can feel the disengage pressure. I measured at the brass pivot the travel and made a 5 mm diameter by 3 mm button shim. Felt perfect at first and for the next 50 klm then the system built up pressure, so I went for a .5 mm gasket paper and used 1 mm and intend to sneak up on the correct size needed .5 at a time. When I went looking for mineral oil's, I know Shimano use mineral in there brakes and when people are willing to spend $10,000 on a mountain bike they deep dive into every thing. From what I gather Magura have a boiling point of 120 Deg and Shimano at 280 Deg. I have had the feeling the clutch was different at the end of the day than when I started out cold, been playing around with suspension and intake not dividing my interest to the clutch thinking it was OK.
I can't see any problems with Shimano mineral oil but enlighten me if you have an insight or experience with this juice. Mountain bikes have a very small and closed hydraulic system, so are very sensitive to heat and viscosity. Which in our case show benefits we will never notice on the R9.
Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot Parallel
Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot Software

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have used LHM on old BMW boxers and cycle brakes with no issues,
vw green mineral steering oil is basically LHM,

·
Registered
21 R9T
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm sitting at 1 mm for now, lever is at my desired position with a good release point for the clutch. Doesn't feel out of wack having extra travel doing nothing putting the lever further away.
Waiting for the Shimano oil to arrive.

·
Registered
21 R9T
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only expected more constancy, but it is buttery smooth and feels lighter as well. Only taken a short 200k mountain ride. Time will tell.

·
Registered
89 Posts
@Fez How much fluid did you need to flush through the system?

So you've now got the system filled with the Shimano fluid and you reckon it helps, making the pull a bit lighter and smoother?

I ask as I was thinking of doing something similar a while back seems like a good move

·
Registered
21 R9T
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A lot less than I expected, where I am you can get 3 flavors - 100 , 500 ml or 1 Liter. Went for the 500 ml weighing up quantity, value and use. This is the bottle after a generous flush.
The up side is mineral oil is hydrophobic and can be stored without worries.

Audio equipment Circuit component Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering

·
Registered
89 Posts
A lot less than I expected, where I am you can get 3 flavors - 100 , 500 ml or 1 Liter. Went for the 500 ml weighing up quantity, value and use. This is the bottle after a generous flush.
The up side is mineral oil is hydrophobic and can be stored without worries.

View attachment 150365
Many Thanks, I can get a 300CC bottle here in the UK and that would appear to more than adequate.

I'm surprised at how little was used

1 - 8 of 8 Posts